It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

But what will WE do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
this could almost fit more in the survival forums, but i think it makes more sense here...
So we're all pretty much in agreement that things are getting bad, economy, fuel prices, food shortages, etc. I for one do not think there is anything we can really do about it, I'm more concerned with getting through it.
A little about my situation. I run a small company that distributes construction, manufacturing, and packaging products. We've always been a small company, but now we're getting squeezed from all sides pretty bad. With all the foreclosures, rising material costs, and many other problems specifically in our industry, this isn't exactly the best business to be in at the moment. On top of that, I'm young, high school drop out, and only been employed in 2 different companies. I'm sure there are quite a few people around here that can relate to my situation. Hell, most my customers are in the exact situation.
So, if the SHTF for real(read depression) what the hell would someone in my position do. Close up shop, and get a "real job" for $8.00/hr working at Wal Mart? I barely make due at a place where I can pull out some money in case of an emergency.
What kind of help, if any, would the government give to citizens who actually work for a living as opposed to non-taxpayers like Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the drooling auto industry?
What would happen to our homes if there is no money to pay the mortgages because there are no jobs.
We can save as much money as we can afford to, but that can also hurt us more now, and possibly do more damage, and will cash even do any good?
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas here, because I have no idea of what's to come or how to really prepare down for it.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
take your life an make it become a 'self sustaining enterprise'

not by creating something that others want...but by a type of conservation/conservatism one can make use of...

know where the soup kitchens are, even if you don't normally bump elbows with the 'street people' and crack heads looking for victims which frequent such sites....-> look up the St. Vincent DePaul Society

become a 'dumpster diver', there's no need for vanity & aloofness...
make your 'claim' by your regular visitation, much like one's responsibility to regulary visit their 'Trap Line' to dispatch the captured animals for their pelts=$

these are just two ...of at least 2 dozen behaviors which could help one to survive the coming social & economic collapse
(or what Obama's "change!" actually means)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Ok I was much in the same position as you some few years ago before things got bad.

This is what we did: Instead of putting our money into a bank to earn a pitiful return, we invested in tangible goods.
Things such as Guns, Ammo (LOTS of ammo), winter clothing, tents, outside survival gear, a tow behind camper, tools, TRAINING, booze, toilet paper, tooth paste, soap....FOOD. Get the point?

If you have a supply of everything you use from day to day, if the S HTF....its really no big deal for you.

Screw gold, screw silver... I won't take a truckload of it from you in exchange for a loaf of bread.

Now the benifit to all of is in a short term disaster your pretty much covered. Even if you get foreclosed on, you can "survive". If your able to make your house note and nothing else....You will still eat and be able to maintain a clean healthy lifestyle.

At worst and nothing bad comes to pass, you can throw parties with your booze stash, not have to buy TP for 5 years, suppliment your groceries with the rotation of your food supply....etc.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by smallbusiness

Just look where you can cut the operating cost of your company. Start with things that you can control. Then try to understand things that affect your company; those things that you can't control so you can have some outlook and form a strategy.

top topics

join