It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help identifying an old horror movie.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Hi everyone. For the longest time I've been trying to find out the name of a horror movie I saw a long time ago. It must have been from the late 70's or early-mid 80's. My memory of it is pretty vague so my description of it may be a bit sketchy but I've seen some pretty tough questions answered by the ATS/BTS community, so I hope somebody can help with this one, too.

I believe it had to do with aliens. They were able to appear as humans but they would tear their own faces off and show their true faces. Alien faces. I know for sure the movie was NOT "V". People often tell me it must have been, but it was not.

I remember one scene where a human was hiding in the bathroom. I think behind the shower curtain. Peaking out, the human spied the alien ripping off its human face with lots of goo and such, to expose its true alien face. I remember also, it was a movie where the aliens were creating more and more of their species, by capturing and 'changing' ours.

And I seem to recall something about lightning, too. I think the aliens could shoot it from thier hands. I think it was near/at the end of the movie. Most of the town-folk had become aliens and all stood along the sides of the street as the last few humans got into their car and made a run for it, trying to escape the town with their humanity intact. At least one of the aliens shot lightning at the car. I can't remember what the outcome was.

I really wish I could remember more. I need to know what this movie was. When I was young, it scared the living daylights out of me. I'll wager that I'd find it laughable now, but I'd still love to see it again. Please help if you have any inkling as to what movie I may be refering to. Thank you very much. Be well.

-Static Sky

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
By chance can you recall any of the actors/actresses in the flick? Was it on TV, VHS or at the movies?

[edit on 15-9-2008 by spikedmilk]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by spikedmilk

Sadly no. I can't remember any of the actors in it. I've racked my brain trying as that would lead me to the answer (imdb, etc). I do believe it was on video, but I guess it could have been on tv. Shoot. I'm really not helping my own cause much, am I? Thanks for your time on this, though.

I posted just on the hopes that someone who read it would somehow know exactly what I was talking about. Anyways, thanks again and be well.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
No reason to beat yourself up.
It took me twenty odd years to find a movie that kept me under the covers for a night as a kid ("The Hand" featuring Michael Caine, 1981). Horror and Sci-Fi are my favorites, so it might ring a bell....

last question, was it foreign by chance?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

You can ask as many questions as you need. I'd love to have an answer but as I said, I can't remember much. I do know it was an American movie, though. For sure on that one.

"The Hand". That was a good one. Wasn't Caines character trying to wave another vehicle to pass his, when an oncoming truck side swiped him and severed half of his arm? I think I recall that at the end, he was killing eveyone, wasn't he? And it was his imagination that was seeing his severed hand doing it? Terrific movie.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
For what it's worth, if anyone else has any old horror movies that they need help identifying, please feel free to post whatever description you can recall on this thread. I'm hoping to lure fans of the old horrors on here anyways to help with my mystery flick, so why not invite evryone else to ask about theirs, too. Thanks and cheers.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
You just HAD to reveal the ending to "The Hand" didn't you? Man, I was just about to go find that movie because of this post. Crap on a stick.

The only movie I could think of though, isn't from the 80s, and charlie sheen is the star. "the Arrival" 1996. Just the scene you described where the alien pulls the skin off...

I'll ask my buddy at the office, big horror fan kinda guy.

[edit on 9/15/2008 by Kalapadea]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kalapadea

If you're serious, I do appologise. The only reason I felt compelled to do so, is that movie was the first time I'd ever seen that device used in a movie script. (Where half of what's presented as reality in the film, turn out to be the main characters imagination).

Other movies I've seen since then that have used a similar device include; Fight Club, Memento, The Matrix (to a lesser degree. Almost inverted effect) and I know there are a few others that aren't coming to me right now.

Anyways, I am sorry for wrecking that for you. I guess I should have posted a spoiler alert or something. LOL. It's still worth a watch, though. Peace.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Static Sky
For what it's worth, if anyone else has any old horror movies that they need help identifying, please feel free to post whatever description you can recall on this thread. I'm hoping to lure fans of the old horrors on here anyways to help with my mystery flick, so why not invite evryone else to ask about theirs, too. Thanks and cheers.

Thanks for the invite, there has been one that has plagued me for years.

It was sci fi, VHS mid eightys if i remeber correctly. Or at least around the time of "They LIVE"

An alien ship is found, and turns out (after some detective work) to be a max security prisoner transport ship.

Something had escaped and was on the rampage (not Vin Diesel) my nearest recollection is that of a shrimp looking type thing that would take over a human body.

What I liked about the film so much was a special effect that I had not seen before, when the "BUG" thing was attacking from undergound, the gound would ripple and explode toward camera, like the scorpion in Transformers.

If I saw it again after all this time I may well think it to be a load of crap, but neverthless would love to see it anyhow.

Thanks in advance to anyone with some info

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Hi moocowman. It doesn't ring a bell for me. I've looked through some sites and tried every plausible google search words/descriptions I could think of. Sorry but I came up empty. Let's hope someone else can solve it. Was it American?

I hope we get a lot of these inquiries on here, with mine. This might turn out to be a better thread than I thought it could when I started it. I hope to be able to solve some myself, and in the meantime develope a list of lesser known 80's classic horror/sci-fi's to watch. Can't wait to see how many birds we can kill with this one stone. Anyways, thanks for coming aboard. Be well.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kalapadea
The only movie I could think of though, isn't from the 80s, and charlie sheen is the star. "the Arrival" 1996. Just the scene you described where the alien pulls the skin off...

Nope. That's not it. I thought maybe if it was a remake, so I had a look but it's not the one.

I'll ask my buddy at the office, big horror fan kinda guy.

I thank you for your time and efforts on this. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I've got one that's driving me crazy, i went to see it with my dad in the early 80's. It had something to do with the pyramids, they opened up a crypt or something and a creature escaped to america somehow. Anyway he was an alien looking for some artifact to get to his space ship. Sorry my description isn't better but i was about 8 when i saw it.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AegisFang

Sounds a bit like that Bruce Willis movie with the half naked ginger chick and Gary Oldman with his super rifle .

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I dont know if this is it or not but its worth a shot.

john Carpenter made a movie called "they live" in which a guy found a pair of sunglasses and when he put them on it revealed the true faces of some people who were actually aliens in disguise.

here is a link with a synopsis of the movie...

www.imdb.com...

Heres hoping I got it

[edit on 15-9-2008 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I know that movie because I was a wresting fan when I was a kid. I believe that's the movie that starred "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. I was dissapointed in the film but it was neat to see anywys. And thanks for trying to help. Cheers.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

I think you mean "The 5th Element". Milla Jovovich is the half named chick. In the film she plays the supreme being who IS the 5th element. they never really explain how that is, but it's a good flick, none the less. I own it in my collection too. (Yay me!).

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AegisFang

Hopefully somebody here can help you zero in on it, but I did think it's been solved yet. Anyways, thanks for giving the thread another 'bird' to knock down.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Static Sky

You can ask as many questions as you need. I'd love to have an answer but as I said, I can't remember much. I do know it was an American movie, though. For sure on that one.

"The Hand". That was a good one. Wasn't Caines character trying to wave another vehicle to pass his, when an oncoming truck side swiped him and severed half of his arm? I think I recall that at the end, he was killing eveyone, wasn't he? And it was his imagination that was seeing his severed hand doing it? Terrific movie.

Alright, I'll quit with the q's. But I'm a sucker for '80's cheese/sci-fi flicks so I'm gonna have to ponder this one for a bit.

The Hand was a good flick. All I could remember was a severed hand crawling around doin a little bit of killing...I never thought of looking up a movie called "The Hand"..but there it was , one late night on cinemax last year. Childhood reborn
. Although, I obviously wasn't as frightened as I was way back then. Bonus too with Micahael Caine in it.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

"Childhood reborn". I know exactly what your talking about. Pretty much the reason I want to find my movie, I suppose. Also the reason I need to but the "Watership Down" cartoon(s?). I had a terrible fever in about 1980, as a 4 year old. I remember drifting in and out of consciousness for about 2 days, watching this tape over and over. We were at a friends place, a long way from home and it was the only cartoon he had. Maybe a bit intense for a 4 year old, but it's stuck with me all these years. I NEED to watch it all again.

Thanks for giving this thread your time. I hope you'll stick around and help solve some of these now that I'm asking others to post about their 'lost gems', too. Be well.

PS; I'm clicking you onto my friends list. I hope you'll do the same. Peace.

-Static Sky

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Static Sky, is Strange Invaders the movie you're thinking of?

www.imdb.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join