It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Govt. Report Says Fluoride Added to Water Supply May Harm Population

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Govt. Report Says Fluoride Added to Water Supply May Harm Population

www.naturalnews.com

(NaturalNews) A government-sponsored report has concluded that levels of fluoride that people are regularly exposed to in drinking water can cause serious malfunctioning of the thyroid glad, leading to even more serious health problems.

"A low level of thyroid hormone can increase the risk of cardiac disease, high cholesterol, depression, and, in pregnant woman, decreased intelligence of offspring," said study co-author Kathleen Thiessen.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.pr-inside.com
www.huliq.com
sites.nationalacademies.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Fluoride is Natural in Water

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
There has always been the valid argument that our government has no right to medicate us without our consent. Whether or not fluoride causes adverse health effects can be argued but should we not have the right to unmedicated water?

Now we have a government sponsored scientific review on the subject of fluoride's adverse health effects on individuals. The evidence now clearly indicates that even small amounts of fluoride in our water supply have negative effects on thyroid function. Considering that obesity and many other conditions are linked to thyroid dysfunction, I think it's worth taking this news seriously now.

I stood somewhat neutral on the subject before, but now, I have undoubtedly chosen a side. This medication should not be happening.

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The government is spilling

the beans

on their own conspiracy

and even funding the report.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

The government is not, and never was, an autonomous entity. Governments are people, representing a diverse spectrum of interests, but biased towards elitist agendas because they, the elites, have more social leverage due to their economic power.

I see this sort of news as a sign some of the good guys are gaining some headway.

Governments will never have a totally cohesive behaviour, because they are by their very nature schizophrenic entities.

Good thread

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Fluorides are now, and have pretty much always been, a cash cow for the chemical industry.

The government has, as per there usual behavior, enabled the industry to prosper by empowering the myth that it's good for you.

Almost all late 20th century research has pointed in the opposite direction while for some magical reason tax-payer organizations like the NIH and the FDA, and even the EPA turned a blind eye or relied upon turn of the century research to support their insistence that fluoride needs to be in the water system.

I suspect that they (meaning those who's agenda is served by the continuation of our fluoridation policy) knew that eventually the people would become alerted to the danger. Now fluorides can be found in medicines, soaps, candies, processed foods, and just about anything else we use.

Go figure, you'd think if they want us alive so they can tax and abuse us generally they would want to keep us healthy, wouldn't you? Unless of course you manufacture the snake oil cures for the illnesses they give you in the first place. Hippocrates is probably be rolling in his grave, (assuming he had one.)

[edit on 15-9-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Go figure, you'd think if they want us alive so they can tax and abuse us generally they would want to keep us healthy, wouldn't you?

Well that's the point. Keep us alive, barely. Just enough that we need their medicine to keep going. They're just running a business and we are the needy customers that have to keep coming back for more.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Hippocrates is probably be rolling in his grave, (assuming he had one.)

Now if only we could harness that kinetic energy and transmit it to households we could cut down on some of that coal-fire pollution!

I'm in agreement with you all. Of course we have a right to unmedicated water. I doubt this study will even make ripples though. Like Max said, the chemical industry would have a fit if the public decided their products were bad for you.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Yeah, so it's not really a surprise that fluoride is bad. The effects have been seen in studies before. You can hit google and get any number of links to info on the subject. But here's one to prove I ain't lyin'. Fluoride: Scientific Facts

Thing is though, I don't think it's a lie that fluoride is good for teeth. The website above says it prevents cavities in small doses. I'm not tryin' to sound like a jerk to other countries, but I think Americans have the nicest smiles of anywhere in the world that I've been too. So I can't complain too much. Though I suppose you're right and they shouldn't be putting chemicals in our water.

Also I'm wondering what would happen if they did stop putting it in there? Would there be a dental health crisis in the country because either people aren't responsible enough to take good care of their teeth without fluoride, or the fluoride turns out to be a crucial component to healthy teeth in the USA. regardless of how good one's hygiene is? I can't see any reason for not just trying a no fluoride system for a few years other than some catastrophe in the dental system.

If this turned out to be the case, would you advocate putting it back into drinking water?

That being said....
Let's not forget the most important aspect of this story. That of course being the government actually maintaining some checks and balances on itself. Now, lets see if anything gets done.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Well, I can admit to it actually having a cleansing effect on the teeth, but this would have to be looked into. There are other possible factors for good teeth in America, like the Hollywood factor, where everyone is so beauty orientated they simply brush and floss more than other less vain people, and also the level of dental care is probably pretty high in the private sector, with lots of laser treatments available, and proliferation of braces in children catching problems early.

My own country had lower dental care standards than the US seems to have but we are playing catchup atm and I see the level of dental care resulting in better looking people, so this goes beyond flouride and is indeed a cultural phenomenon.

But yeah, Flouride could do what it's hyped as doing, but with some rather nasty side effects. The dumb blond meme for example could be linked to neural damage provoked by flouride and other alluminium based synaptic suppressors, or wtv they're called.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Of course there has always been abundant information on the subject all over the net. What makes this source stand out is the fact that the review is government sponsored. Not only that, but also that adverse effects can occur even with exposure to small amounts found in our water supply.

Keep in mind that if for some unlikely reason they decide to remove fluoride from our water supply, it will still be in our toothpaste, therefore, if you want to prevent tooth decay, you still have the choice to do so.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Actually the newer scientific studies recommend that fluoridated toothpaste is beneficial as a topical treatment, and that ingesting the stuff in water is next to pointless.

Of course, they also point out that in no case should a child under the age of three be exposed to the nueortoxicological effects of fluorides, and that once you have passed the age of twelve or so, the net effect of fluoridated toothpaste is insignificant on permanent teeth.

Tell that to your dentists and he or she will tell you that is incorrect. Makes you wonder about what the industry tells the dentists about the research.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
Of course there has always been abundant information on the subject all over the net. What makes this source stand out is the fact that the review is government sponsored. Not only that, but also that adverse effects can occur even with exposure to small amounts found in our water supply.

Keep in mind that if for some unlikely reason they decide to remove fluoride from our water supply, it will still be in our toothpaste, therefore, if you want to prevent tooth decay, you still have the choice to do so.

This source doesn't stand out if you look at the link from where they the OP got the article, go the the PR site it was originally on, and then read the real report. It's nothing but a review/interpretation of a government report by an anti-fluoride group that uses obscure and inconclusive references to make their claims.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

They also found that fluoride tended to concentrate in the thyroid more than in any organ but the kidneys.

Most fluoridated water supplies contain fluoride concentrations of 1.0 milligrams per liter, meaning that an adult male would need to drink less than a gallon of water per day to reach toxic levels. An iodine-deficient male would need to drink less than a liter.

A prior NRC report also found evidence that fluoride increases the uptake of aluminum into the brain, damages bone health, and may even lead to bone cancer.

www.naturalnews.com...

Hypothyroidism is indicated by a low metabolic rate. Some of the many symptoms that indicate a hypothyroid state include: brittle nails, cold hands and feet, dry skin, elevated cholesterol, fatigue, inability to concentrate, infertility, menstrual irregularities, muscle cramps and weakness, poor memory, puffy eyes, and weight gain.

www.naturalnews.com...

new topics

top topics

join