It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese milk powder contaminated with melamine sickens 1,253 babies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Chinese milk powder contaminated with melamine sickens 1,253 babies

www.timesonline.co.uk

Chinese hospitals are fighting to save the lives of some of the 1,253 babies who were sickened after being fed milk powder contaminated with an industrial chemical used to make cups and saucers.

Two infants have already died from drinking the formula laced with melamine in a ploy by farmers to boost the protein content of the milk they sold to one of the country’s biggest and best-known milk powder manufacturers. Police have arrested 19 people, including two brothers who ran a milk collection station.

But the scandal only came to light due to the intervention of Helen Clark, the Prime Minister of New Zealand, who had been informed by the New Zealand joint venture partner of the Chinese company of its failure to persuade the Chinese side to implement a full recall of the tainted product.

Ms Clark told TVNZ that food giant Fonterra had been trying for weeks to get its partner, Sanlu Group, to recall the milk powder. “The local authorities in China would not do it. I think the first inclination was to try and put a towel over it and deal with it without an official recall.” Fonterra holds a 43 per cent stake in Sanlu and could only follow Chinese rules in handling the incident.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This is a prime example of why unregulated capitalism is a disaster.

It is only natural for business people to try and cut corners and costs but when there aren't any safeguards in place to regulate them lives become endangered.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I disagree that this is a component of Capitalism.

I feel it is more likely representative of a lack of ethics and leadership valuing profit over social responsibility.

That flaw is not unique to capitalism. Just ask some of the former Soviets who suffered immeasurably while their leaders basked in the luxuries afforded them by their position. Or the subjects of 'nobility' who starve and grow ill while their regents rule from beyond the reach of discomfort.

People who desire money and power do NOT limit themselves to a single form of economic model. In fact, they often practice their scams across the spectrum. Greed is an equal opportunity employer.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Hate to say it but... China again.

It seems China is 'cutting' too many corners of late, and it is coming back on them hard.

How many other corners do we not know about (yet)?

I feel for the families and wish the people doing this would receive enough deterent so these things stop occuring.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

got to agree with you
its the people who run these companies and who want to make more profit are to blame. and cutting corners and costs is one of them.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I wonder how long it will take until someone thinks there is a conspiracy here with China's HUGE population and the poisoning of babies to gain control of this population growth.

Uhh I guess not long....since I just thought of it lol

I sure hope this isn't the case.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I feel it is more likely representative of a lack of ethics and leadership valuing profit over social responsibility.

Exactly. And time and again you see it when people put profits over ethics... consider when you have a buying force like mal-warts who squeezes manufacturers in China and elsewhere for the lowest possible price or lose their business, and then when you consider those manufacturers have little if any regulation policing them, the urge to cut corners and use whatever they can get away with to do it with... then this is the kind of thing that happens.

And while it is not solely the result of capitalism, you see it in the marketplace repeatedly.

BTW those other examples you sited are not revelant.

top topics

join