It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the youth of today

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
im in the uk and the streets are currently overrun with groups of yobs terrorizing people. Forget Iraq and afghanastan, the terrorist are here on our own streets, free to cause chaos across the country. we need to do something in the extreme to put fear and respect back into the youth otherwise the country will just continue on the road it is going now.

Looking for the opinions of all ats users on this matter.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Inject fear? Fear breeds fear breeds apathy breeds hate breeds violence breeds evil. Boredom makes fools of us all.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
There's nothing wrong with the youth of today. They're simply reacting to the current economic and political cirumstances that they are growing up in. Remember you have years of being an adult to fall back on when confronted with the huge sh**heap which surrounds us and which the governments seem to add to with each passing day. Common sense and maturity stops you revolting. The youth simply don't have that luxury. . .

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Why cant the police arrest them for loitering, being drunk in public, annoying people, damaging property, etc? Im sure they have something illegal on them or are doing something illegal.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
but compared to even ten years ago the amount of unprevoked violence has increased at a terrifieing rate. ive got family who are within the 13-16 age bracket. there is simply nothing for them to do, there is no longer a sense of dicipline or respect. they act with impunity and as if they are no longer accountable under the law. bring back the national service, or for the more extreme cases for young violent offenders introduce forced labour camps.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
This can be attributed to television, the youth learn it all from television, they think it is cool and fun to roam the streets in the night in a drunken state and drive cars fastly on the highways, this situation can be reversed only when the media changes to the good old days of pleasant music shows and not todays reality television.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

im sure tv has something to with the problem but only a minor player in the grand picture of youth violence. they dont need tv to show them violence when they and their peers are engulfed in violence every day. i have seen kids prey upon others just for a laugh. they didnt threaten the guy or give him time to react, they just walked past and set upon him. they do because they can.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmbroseRokewood
but compared to even ten years ago the amount of unprevoked violence has increased at a terrifieing rate. ive got family who are within the 13-16 age bracket. there is simply nothing for them to do, there is no longer a sense of dicipline or respect. they act with impunity and as if they are no longer accountable under the law. bring back the national service, or for the more extreme cases for young violent offenders introduce forced labour camps.

I don't know your age or where you grew up but honestly, what did you do when you were twelve to sixteen years of age? If you were like me, you had nothing to do! You made your own fun. The only thing that kept you on the straight and narrow was fear of, or respect, for your parents. Plus you weren't growing up in a state where everything that could conceivably go tits up was going tits up in a spectacular way. The youth of today may never get a job, if they did they could never afford to buy a house or car because the system is stacked against them.
I also think, at least here in the UK, the final nail in the coffin came about ten years ago when the courts decided that parents couldn't chastise their kids!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Funny that I see blame put on TV and reality TV shows. Perhaps some of the blame should lay with their parents, who obviously taught them nothing in the way of common decency.

Why cant the police arrest them for loitering, being drunk in public, annoying people, damaging property, etc? Im sure they have something illegal on them or are doing something illegal.

And the police need what is called probable cause to search them. And it's all about perception. You may think they are loitering or annoying someone, but perhaps they aren't. What makes you assume they have something illegal on them? Did they show it to you? Did you see it with your own eyes? Best not to assume if you're not 100% sure.

If you want the police to do something, call them. Have you reported any of these things? And yet nothing gets done? There must be a good reason for that.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmbroseRokewood
reply to post by peacejet

im sure tv has something to with the problem but only a minor player in the grand picture of youth violence. they dont need tv to show them violence when they and their peers are engulfed in violence every day. i have seen kids prey upon others just for a laugh. they didnt threaten the guy or give him time to react, they just walked past and set upon him. they do because they can.

You cant say tv has something to do with this it is entirely to do with television as you have mentioned about the violence, does a born baby know about violence, once it is exposed to the violence in movies and wrestling the baby learns it and when grown up as a youth the hell breaks loose and the thing you have mentioned about kids preying, doesnt it look similar to the ones in action movies.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
i hail from your neck of the woods. and i agree that when parents lost the right to chastise their own children was a major turning point in the mindset set of the kids, they knew that they could play the prosecution card with the threat of punishment. nowadays it seems they know the ins and outs of the law more than the law makers themselves. but the fact remains that the government needs to take drastic action to curb the problem now or it will get to a point where the yobs will cross the line and people will see no other way than to take the law into their own hands.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well, there are probably a hell of a lot of different factors contributing to the rise in teen-crime/delinquency etc, which I think is on the rise, gun-crime, availability and cost of drugs, social/parental issues.

I live in a fairly nice part of Manchester, but I don't have to go far to get into bad parts, there is a massive availability of drugs and guns here, teens are able to get hold of drugs and a fairly-free from punishment on a punitive or parental level. This is much more so than in my hometown, but the signs of this are there too...
Unfortunately parenting seems to come second to so many other things these days, I don't know many parents that read o their kids, they just plonk them down in front of the tv or gaming gear, kids get very little moral-guidance these days.
Life is cheap seemingly...

as a general paranoiac statement - it seems to be a good way of dividing the populace, those of us that stay, scared in our homes and the wolves prowling the streets. If it ever comes time for martial law...

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AmbroseRokewood

I think we've already reached the point where people are taking the law into their own hands- and the law, in-turn, turns on the innocent party! I myself have been a victim of this. Lets face it, the law have their hands tied. They can't do anything to the kids other than take them home to their parents who themselves cannot do anything to control their kids because the law says they can't! However, retaliate to a kids provacations and fleets of policecars containing huge officers will descend on your home and arrest you like you were one of Britains most wanted. It's ridiculous. . .

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
i knowexactly where your coming from. even if the police dont get involved your then faced with the problem that if they yobs know who you are or whereyou live, your life and possibly that of your family are made a living hell, and so the cycle continues.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Wholly agreed with the above posts. so many times people that report crime become harassed, their lives made miserable for trying to stand-up to crime.
There's a sense of lawlessness, even adults committing "petty" crime can get away with so much these days. The justice system in this country is a joke.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The only think you could do is license people to breed, other than that poor people will not really care, how there child grows up. But heck what can you do.

My advice is keep your legs closed, and do not add to the situation. I am being serious.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AmbroseRokewood

Absolutely spot on. Now if you and I can see it wouldn't you think those who run the country and create are laws would be able to?
In my case the little ba****ds came back the next day and set my back garden gate on fire and smashed a bedroom window. Since then we've had the alleygates put up so its stopped their antics to a degree.
The kid who confronted me was about fourteen. I thought he was joking at first until he threatened me then ran at me and I stopped him by simply pushing him away and keeping hold of him while his friends tried to kick me. The next day a copper arrived and I ended up getting a twelve month warning which is thankfully up now.
Honestly, when you reach a point where even the police don't know the law and can't make it work, you know you're in trouble.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Economics, education, economics, education, economics, education, economics, education, economics, education, economics, education

They both go hand in hand, when one falls in the country the other will too.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by '___'eed]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

I remember when we where young, and these loony family where causing us triouble we rang the police. The police said they could do nothing, but they said we should knock down there fence, and they would do nothing. I was about 15 at the time, and could not believe that the police tell people to commit crimes. This is in london.

No way would we do something, but i woke up to what the police are there for that day.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
the s**ts seem to know more about the laws that effect them than the police. we need a new goverment structure with regards to yob culture. seperate ourselves from the european courts and human rights courts. and take a new outlook at where we stand and where we want to be. the time for a revolution is now. the people are angry yet helpless to do anything. me and a couple of others are looking for like minded people to come up with a practicle plan of action, you may know one of them on here. any ideas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join