It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why there is no such thing as the liberal media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I can't take credit for this idea, because it was from a documentary. But give this a read, for you fools who spit out BS saying "liberal media this, liberal media that."

Media, and their producers, have bills to pay. Radio, Television, newspapers, you name it. Usually, it's the companies who advertise on those networks who pay those bills, and you know what that means? if they don't see something they like, they will go find another station to advertise their hoo-de-nany on. Guess what else?

Every major network of mainstream media is owned, at least partly, by a major conglomerate empire.

Fox = Rupert Murdoch's News corporation
ABC = Disney
NBC = General Electric
CBS = Westinghouse and Horus. j/k
but seriously, who the hell does CBS think they are flaunting the eye around like that?

BECAUSE these stations are owned by business leaders, that means that they want to have these stations performing sort of as vehicles for their products. Kind of like how Fox only airs fox movies, or at least usually, and ABC only airs insincere family-based crap (typical disney brainwashing). and do you know what this means?

when any of the higher ups of those networks hear of or see anything being broadcast on their networks that they don't approve of, they can it. so you see, the term "liberal media" is a myth. every media outlet has an agenda to carry out, a purpose to serve based on the owners of that particular manufacturer of entertainment.

in case you forgot, liberal means "free", which means "with choice". Now, if you have a bunch of people controlling what people can see on their news networks, that alone negates the "with choice" prospect of media. What you have is sanitized, politically-correct, corporate-friendly media. and that is anythig but liberal.

chances are, if you say things such as "the liberal media says this", you are already not taking the time to watch an independent news network. There is no liberal mainstream media as they are all under direct control of their parent companies, thereby negating the idea that they are liberated to report on what they please.

peace

[Edited on 5/11/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
oh yeah, and furthermore, I used to consider myself a conservative republican because I believed in conserving the constitution while also maintaining an appropriate set of rules and regulations to keep things stable. after a bit of confusion and dismay at the general public who are CR's, I consider myself none of the above (as in demo or repub). so don't dismiss me or this topic as hogwash from a liberal. im neutral, FYI. Also because the two-party system is fake in the US.

also, my last statement contradicts my title of liberal media being a fairytale. So, to compensate, I meant to say that there is no such thing as liberal mass media. I don't need to tell you who owns CNN, MSNBC, or even one of my favorites, Al-Jazeera, do I? none of them are truly liberal as they are all owned by people and places with their own sacred agendas.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   
There is an article in REason magazine fairly recently about Rupert Murdoch and media concentration. Apparently media concentration is about the same now as it was in the past, but there are a hell of a lot more channels, still owned by fewer companies. Ie instead of 3 companies owning 12 channels, we now have 25 companies owning 100 channels.

I personally dont' know how much I belive in that, as I can't think of hardly one liberal news station we have in the US, or any liberal news radio stations that would have as many affiliates as conservative stations. Look at how many affiliates someone like Rush Limbaugh has compared to al iberal opponent.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Who owns a corporation is not always what is in question. What the newsroom supervisors do to slant headlines towards their ideology IS.

If you do not believe there is a strong liberal bias in the newsrooms of America, your logic is severely flawed.

[Edited on 01/13/04 by kramtronix]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   
sorry, but ABC, and NBC are liberal media outlets. Fox is a conservative outlet. The reason the media is termed as liberal is that as a whole they are very partisan towards the Dems. It's just the way things are. Anyone who can't see this needs to take a closer look.

I personally dont' know how much I belive in that, as I can't think of hardly one liberal news station we have in the US, or any liberal news radio stations that would have as many affiliates as conservative stations. Look at how many affiliates someone like Rush Limbaugh has compared to al iberal opponent.

please tell me this is a joke....The only reason Rush gets the ratings he gets is because THERE ARE NO OTHER MAJOR CONSERVATIVE RADIO TALKSHOWS! As a republican, I would be happy to say that there was a diverse choice of outlets that respected - if not pushed - conservative ideals. The reality though is that there are few and far between. Rush gets his ratings, and thus his sponsership, because republicans have only him to listen to in their cars if they want to listen to someone who represents them.

If you honestly do not believe there is a liberal biased take this challange - it was offered to me back when I was voting democratic (God forgive me) - the next time you watch a political show on any major network but fox, and there are more then one people interviewed and debating against each other, observe how never - I will say again NEVER EVER EVER EVER - are ther more republicans than dems. Sometimes the numbers are equal, but if there is an odd number, there will never be more republicans! This has held true for over 3 years since I have been given the challenge! Even if I were to find one, or even several cases TOMOROW it would still be the first time in 3 freakin years that this has happened!

JON

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
If any of you ever happen to be in the greater Philly area try listening to A.m. 121o The Big Talker they have all sorts of conservatives on there including Rush. I suppose some of the people on there are liberals too. The only bad thing is its a Clear Channel station.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
AO, I would certainly like to mention that one who sprinkles his attempts to make a point by prelabelling those who do not stand with him as "ignorant" and "fools" is one who knows already that he is defending a weak position, but along with that obvious point, I would like to point out the other obvious flaw in your position, which is the fact that we have been able to observe the liberal mainstream media for decades. We had this "opportunity" because for decades the liberal elite had a monopoly on the media. Even before there were any alternatives, those of us with the ability to think for ourselves knew who controlled the media.

I'm sure, however, this thread was slapped together for other knee-jerkers who wouldn't bother thinking too deeply into the subject.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
you need both a left string and a right string to make the puppet dance.
there is no liberal or conservative. there is only the rulers and their plan. the face of the media can be used as a more subtle way to make the feet look like they are really bustin' a move.
dance, puppet, dance.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
you need both a left string and a right string to make the puppet dance.
there is no liberal or conservative. there is only the rulers and their plan. the face of the media can be used as a more subtle way to make the feet look like they are really bustin' a move.
dance, puppet, dance.

Billy Bob, this is pretty much the outline of the intention behind this post. In this context of 'liberal media', there is no such thing because it is all under control by one major entity or another. I didn't mean liberal as in "left-wing", because there is really no such thing at the top of the pyramid.

TC, I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else with that claim of mine. You make a good point, and if it is one thing I DO NOT do is consider everyone who opposes me to be inferior. That would be completely delusional of me, so please do not misunderstand what I said. As a matter of fact, I find that I learn the most from people who provide me with an opposition, so I consider them to be of great value, at times.

What I did mean by
"chances are, if you say ignorant things such as "the liberal media says this", you are already not taking the time to watch an independent news network. foo!"
is that 9 times of 10 when someone is saying that, they are complaining about a tidbit from a controlled news outlet which in itself is not liberal as it is under direct influence by some kind of company.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   
AlnilamOmega,

I take it you have never watched the news. Possibly an indication of your intelligence. You call me a fool, yet you are totaly void of obvious errors in what you are saying. The media is liberally biased this, The media is liberally biased that. End of story. You may be able to get away with saying that Fox is a conservatively based news station, but as for the rest..........I think you need to pay a little more attention for yourself. Instead, what you do is find someone else to say it in a documentary (its nice to let people pay attention for you so they can put their own idea of reality in your head....and then admit to doing it....nice). Then you agree with them, learning nothing other than EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TOLD. See the problem with liberal people, is they can only seem to listen and repeat. Regurgitating ideas and nonsense that other people spewed out in the first place is a sign of liberalism. Im seeing it bright as day in this post.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
AlnilamOmega,

I take it you have never watched the news. Possibly an indication of your intelligence. You call me a fool, yet you are totaly void of obvious errors in what you are saying. The media is liberally biased this, The media is liberally biased that. End of story. You may be able to get away with saying that Fox is a conservatively based news station, but as for the rest..........I think you need to pay a little more attention for yourself. Instead, what you do is find someone else to say it in a documentary (its nice to let people pay attention for you so they can put their own idea of reality in your head....and then admit to doing it....nice). Then you agree with them, learning nothing other than EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TOLD. See the problem with liberal people, is they can only seem to listen and repeat. Regurgitating ideas and nonsense that other people spewed out in the first place is a sign of liberalism. Im seeing it bright as day in this post.

Ouch. Busted. You're right. My first mistake was not giving proper credit as to where I got this information into the first place. I did say documentary, but I didn't say which. My second mistake was to put a bit of biased emotion into the end of my first post. I'll admit to those and apologize for them, and you should know I have already tried to correct that mistake in my third post within this thread. I take it you didn't read that reply.

HOWEVER, I do not appreciate being called stupid. I am well aware that I have much to learn, but am definitely not devoid of intelligence. I do NOT watch mainstream news because of how hideously apparent they are in guiding the public away from the bigger picture with their celebrity stories and sports coverages, in addition to their inconsistent, sensationalist reports. Sure, they'll tell you about the torturing going on Camp Guantanamo, but they won't all tell you how it started to happen or why. They expect you to pick up a piece of the puzzle they offer and put it together with the other pieces offered by other news outlets.

I do like keeping up with current events, international and domestic, and do read news reports. Not as often as before, admittedly, but the point is that I do have an interest in educating myself with the ongoings of the world (and by world, I mean all of its countries, not just North American ones).

Aside from all this, if you had taken the time to read my response to similar critics such as yourself, you would know that I am not your 'average everyday liberal', primarily because I am not liberal at all. Nor am I conservative. I am simply neutral. I am interested in learning from different perspectives, and am not interested debating "which side is right" because it is defeatist. Just like billybob said, we would be like two puppets dancing to our puppeteer's song if we were to fight amongst each other on such an insignificant idea.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega

HOWEVER, I do not appreciate being called stupid. I am well aware that I have much to learn, but am definitely not devoid of intelligence. I do NOT watch mainstream news because of how hideously apparent they are in guiding the public away from the bigger picture with their celebrity stories and sports coverages, in addition to their inconsistent, sensationalist reports. Sure, they'll tell you about the torturing going on Camp Guantanamo, but they won't all tell you how it started to happen or why. They expect you to pick up a piece of the puzzle they offer and put it together with the other pieces offered by other news outlets.

I do like keeping up with current events, international and domestic, and do read news reports. Not as often as before, admittedly, but the point is that I do have an interest in educating myself with the ongoings of the world (and by world, I mean all of its countries, not just North American ones).

Aside from all this, if you had taken the time to read my response to similar critics such as yourself, you would know that I am not your 'average everyday liberal', primarily because I am not liberal at all. Nor am I conservative. I am simply neutral. I am interested in learning from different perspectives, and am not interested debating "which side is right" because it is defeatist. Just like billybob said, we would be like two puppets dancing to our puppeteer's song if we were to fight amongst each other on such an insignificant idea.

You don't appreciate being called stupid...well shucks....

I don't appreciate being called a fool. You are a hypocrit. You insulted others...and then cry like a liberal would when you are insulted back in exactly the same fasion. People like you are truly funny.

[Edited on 5/11/2004 by Seapeople]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople

You don't appreciate being called stupid...well shucks....

I don't appreciate being called a fool. You are a hypocrit. You insulted others...and then cry like a liberal would when you are insulted back in exactly the same fasion. People like you are truly funny.

Well, in light of this, then, I will make a correction to my first post that will prevent this kind of misunderstanding with others. Please understand that I did not call you or anyone else a fool. That 'foo!' that was in there was just me being silly and using modern slang, this I swear. Thanks for teaching me a thing or two, as well, particularly on how much I have to learn on being careful on how I express myself. I have respected your AUTHORI-TAH!

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
You didn't call me a fool huh? I guess technically you didn't. Thats convenient. Heres one for you. I technically did not call you stupid.

Big misunderstanding I guess......

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I have no idea who told you that liberal means free, but I've seen no evidence of it. Judging by that, the opposite, conservatism, means, imprisonment? Or costly?

Enough fun, back to the serious discussion at hand.

Disney, Liberal? Seriously. Regardless of who owns what, the network media is very biased to the left; has been for decades. All one would have to do is watch and realize that. I've had to watch it for years, but being the independent thinker and the fact that God provided me with an exceptionally strong and fast brain (
) I have been able to see through the balogna. True, Fox News is not liberal, but tilted toward the conservative, and asa you can see by the their ratings, America has more than just me that has seen through the garbage all these years.

I can see why you might be confused about major corporations inundating a free market society (notice, liberal and free are not interchangeable) with left wing propaganda and falsehoods, but that is because you are only looking at it from an economics standpoint. Take it one step farther, into the dark and conspiratorial world of the Illuminati, those mega rich behind the scenes string pullers.

America has been a strong and leading nation because not only of its wealth and power but its moral strength, and that strength started at the family and built the nation. When the nation was in its growing years, and even in the dark years of WWII and the beginning of the Cold War, there was no liberalism. There was no doubt as to what any of the amendments meant, where life began, what was moral and immoral and what roles men and women should take on to make a strong and prosperous family unit. These things had to be changed, destroyed, elsewise America would remain strong and pwerful and wealthy, if it that were the caase, those mega rich families would not be able to accomplish the one last thing when you have the ultimate money source, and that is the ultimate power, and rule the world.

Remember, while the network stations are filling your head with stuff that only a blind man would not recognize as liberal reeducation, they are still presenting you with commercials, and you are still buying their products. They lose nothing.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
sorry, but ABC, and NBC are liberal media outlets. Fox is a conservative outlet. The reason the media is termed as liberal is that as a whole they are very partisan towards the Dems. It's just the way things are. Anyone who can't see this needs to take a closer look.

please tell me this is a joke....The only reason Rush gets the ratings he gets is because THERE ARE NO OTHER MAJOR CONSERVATIVE RADIO TALKSHOWS! As a republican, I would be happy to say that there was a diverse choice of outlets that respected - if not pushed - conservative ideals.

How about O'Reilly, Hannity, Coulter? And if you're ever in the Boston area, listen to Jay Severin on 96.9 from 3 - 7PM (not a major outlet, but he is the number one in the region). Or Howie Carr, same time slot, 680AM.

Or, out there on the fringe, Michael Savage.

I enjoy listening to all of the above, BTW.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I hear from these neo-conservatives all the time that the media is liberal. Of course it's not, far from it, but here's why they say that. Sometimes, the media reports the truth. When the truth is reported, and it makes the neo-conservatives look bad, they scream liberal bias. There is no criticizing in the neo-conservative world. To question or criticize is look upon as an act or treason. Look at Bush when that reporter asked him if he had made any mistakes in his administration. He could not think of one. So any news that these neo-cons don't like, that spreads dissent, regardless of the facts, will be looked upon as 'liberal'. The media is closer to the right than anything. But their main motivation is money.

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by curme]

top topics

join