It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is Jahveh? (non-christians please)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Hello everyone.
Im new at ATS... My first question to everyone who are into ancient religions combined with outerspace theories... Who is Jahweh? I have heard of many sumerian writings about Jahweh, one of the Annunaki? (i think) :S And ive also heard that Jahweh DIED... it pretty confused me but it now makes scence why the name Jahweh is in Bible... knowing the Bible is total mixdown of all old religions...

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Hello. I do not know anything about YHWH (letters Yud Hey Vav Hey) in Sumerian texts, but in Judaism it is supposed to be unspoken name of God. The word probably takes its origin from a root Hove - meaning present (Hey Vav Hey). In Hebrew past present and future forms are created by messing with the same root. So Haya - "was/past" (Hey Yud Hey) and yihye (Yud hey yud hey) are from the same root and basically YHWH can mean that God was in past , is now and will be in the future. In Moses case, when he asks God what is his name, the answer is - i will be what i will be (i am what i am is not exact in my opinion) ,using the same root.
By the way, just curious. Why it is only for non-Christians? I guess they can add to discussion. Your thread though, of course.
p.s.
Dug a little on the net for Sumerian connection. There is a suggestion that Ea (Enki?) is Ya and Ya is the same as YHWH. I see a certain problem, since in Torah it does not appear where patriarchs are described,only from Moses incident. And Avraham was from the area. If it was God of Avraham - it should be mentioned then,me thinks.
I wonder how God is named in books of Enoch?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Good morning, Drangularob.

Originally posted by DragulaROB
Hello everyone.
Im new at ATS... My first question to everyone who are into ancient religions combined with outerspace theories... Who is Jahweh?

No known deity. The Jewish name "YHVH" (pronounced "Yahweh" or "Jehovah") is called the tetragrammation and is only one of a number of names for the deity of the Old Testament:
en.wikipedia.org...

I have heard of many sumerian writings about Jahweh, one of the Annunaki?

If there are "Sumerian writings" about YHVH, they are all made up in the past 10 years. Any reference that YHVH is an Annunaki starts with Zecharia Sitchin and is less than 30 years old.

Now... to give you a bit of background, there are well over a thousand translated Sumerian texts that Sumerian scholars (Sitchin is a newspaper reporter and can't read the language) have been translating for well over 100 years.

Some of it is here:
etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk...

Sacred Texts (occasionally unreliable) has a good page of links on The Real Stuff:
www.sacred-texts.com...

(i think) :S And ive also heard that Jahweh DIED...

If you equate Jesus with Yahweh, then yes that's how the story goes... died and self-resurrected. (As a historical note, the Jesus=Yahweh vs Jesus=son of Yahweh and is not Yahweh debate has raged on for 2,000 years with most of the religious leaders agreeing (until recently) that Jesus is not the same as Yahweh... but is the son of Yahweh.

it pretty confused me but it now makes scence why the name Jahweh is in Bible... knowing the Bible is total mixdown of all old religions...

Actually, the Bible isn't. The religion has overtones of the Greek religion of about 100 BC to 100 AD, but the Bible is clearly Jewish in origin (Old Testament) and is the supposed letters of disciples plus other books they thought appropriate (New Testament.)

The Bible as a book didn't exist until about 300 AD. Before then, each church had its collection of texts (including books not in the Bible) that taught them about the religion.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Byrd]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DragulaROB

Jahveh is not same as Yehovah. In some mythologies and religions Jahveh is considered to be some kind of demon. Here is one reference I could find quickly, rest is up to you:

It is written that most of those Angels, Dhyani Bodhisattvas or Bodhisattvas of the Elohim or Cosmocreators fell into fornication and became demons. A few of them helped humanity. Through the letter ZAIN (Eve) they were helping humanity. Nevertheless, the Dhyani Bodhisattvas who fell did not help humanity. They corrupted humanity more. Humanity needed to be helped, but they corrupted it. Some of those fallen angels are named in different books, i.e. Belial, Bael, Andrameleck, Moloch, and the biggest of all of them, the demon Jahveh ("Yahweh") that many Kabbalists have intentionally confused with the name of Jehovah. Jehovah is a name of God. Jahveh is the name of a demon. But they are spelled the same way.
Source

I hope it helps!

Sincerely,

-v

[edit on 16-9-2008 by v01i0]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Hello everyone.
Im new at ATS... My first question to everyone who are into ancient religions combined with outerspace theories... Who is Jahweh? I have heard of many sumerian writings about Jahweh, one of the Annunaki? (i think) :S And ive also heard that Jahweh DIED... it pretty confused me but it now makes scence why the name Jahweh is in Bible... knowing the Bible is total mixdown of all old religions...

Hey, way to get at the truth, by eliminating a priori an entire class of people that claim to have the truth in this matter!

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Cause most of christians say "those scriptures are put by satan to lack our faith"
thx for info

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

wow thats wierd cause in croatian bible god is named Jahve (Jahweh)
spooky god is demon? XD lol

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

thx for major correction

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   

I guess it's sometimes up to language and translation. But yeah, don't blame me, it is what that quote above said, not my opinion necessarily

-v

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   

reply to post by v01i0

wow thats wierd cause in croatian bible god is named Jahve (Jahweh)
spooky god is demon? XD lol

Different languages change the name slightly. For example, here in America we pronounce the element "Aluminum" differently than the English do. We get our element name, "Copper" from an ancient German word for the element, "Kupfer."

Making connections based on languages often leads people down the wrong path.

And in Croatian, the word for "Jehovah"/Yahweh/God is appaarently "Bog"... or at least that's what I get when I read the Croatian Bible online:
software77.com...

You can confirm it with the Croatian dictionary here:
www.rjecnik.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

True .

Smart guy thx for help

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

If you are interested in this subject I would suggest you look at the concept of 'loan words' and 'calque'.

There is a rather uninspiring article in wiki about this but you might wish to dig deeper

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

If you are interested in this subject I would suggest you look at the concept of 'loan words' and 'calque'.

There is a rather uninspiring article in wiki about this but you might wish to dig deeper

new topics

top topics

join