It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

slim fast shelf life ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
im thinking about stocking up on some nutrition drinks like slim fast or ensur etc etc ..... any idea on the shelf life for these ? and will the powdered form be better to store long term ???

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Not sure about Ensure but might want to reconsider Slim Fast as there is commonly known side effect that gives it a less flattering name that also starts with a "S" and has 4 letters...but hey, if you have plenty of toilet paper and don't mind the dehydrative effect of your behind becoming a faucet...

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Any kind of meal substitute in liquid form will necessarily result in a bad case of the runs.

It's not a great idea to rely on these in a survival situation. Others may have different opinions, but I would think you'd be better off taking a multivitamin and eating nothing in the short term, rather than risk dehydration. Hunger sucks in a survival situation, but dehydration is a killer.

In general, powered goods are always longer lasting than wet goods (assuming the powder is kept dry and stored properly). If you do stockpile canned liquids, be sure to rotate the stock frequently (physically rotate, as in pick up, turn over, put back down).

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Agree....Slimfast is absolute garbage.................

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
It's the vittermans and nutrients that would degrade over time. I'm sure 20 years down the road you could still drink the drink but you'd likely get much less of a dose of what you needed to keep going. However, it's known and understood that the U.S. MRES do use those.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
A product intended to be used for WEIGHT LOSS is exactly the opposite of the kind of food you would want in a survival situation.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
lol@ slim fast slide effects , im just looking for types of nutritional supplements aka ''liquid lunch in a can'' that i can store easily and for an extended period of time ....maybe some powdered weight gainer ??

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
If you tell us your intentions, for the products, you will get a much better answer. You will not get rideculed for looking for a long lasting survival food.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus
If you tell us your intentions, for the products, you will get a much better answer. You will not get rideculed for looking for a long lasting survival food.

my intentions are to supplement my existing food stocks , basically i want a good 6 month supply of food but i dont want it all to be rice and water lol so im thinking about stocking up on some of those nutrition drinks that are loaded with all the good stuff , im just curious as to the shelf life ... im a ''keep it simple'' type of guy and have no wish to set up a complicated food storage plan .. i could live off of some rice and a nutrition drink for as long as need be trust me ive lived the past 10 months on pizza , gatorade , coffee , donuts and cheese steaks lol ( im re-modeling my kitchen and its takin longer then ecpected, actually i gutted my entire first and second floor so i have my work cut out for me )

[edit on 14-9-2008 by bravo40]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
OK, how about maximuscles Diet suppliments, even better if you are working out. Get some Protien shakes(the flavoured ones) they are fortified with vitimins and minerals. these are great if you dont want to eat meat, but want a hefty amount of protien. I think they will be better than the slimfast shakes.

they taste alrigh suprisingly, and one scoop with water is suprisingly filling, it fills me u for a while. If you want something to substain you throut the day there are also ones mixed with carbs.

They are designed for athletes, but will have do no harm for someone not workin out to suppliment themselves.

Just an idea.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
If you insist on stocking up on these supplements, I would suggest weight GAIN drinks formulated for body builders. Some of those contain 20,000 calories per serving.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
A product intended to be used for WEIGHT LOSS is exactly the opposite of the kind of food you would want in a survival situation.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
My wife used to work in the packaging department for Unilever a couple of years ago. Slim Fast can be used for weight gain, but you have to eat something like a meal along with the drinks. That is why people had problems with Slim Fast helping them lose weight because they would not be "full enough" from the shake, so they would eat something aswell. In the last few years they have changed the formula and now you are supposed to get more fullfilled when drinking one and not want food to. The shelf life is about 2 years though...there should be an experation date on them, so I don't think they would be too good to stock up on.

On the other hand, the chocolate granola bars are great

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
i used to drink a lot of those weight gainer drinks back in the dy before i pinched a nerve and lost some strenght in my right hand ..... no more working out after that ! anywho im just curious as to the shelf life of those drinks , probably shouldnt have said ''slimfast'' lol damn i caught some flak for that

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Rice is pretty useless without beans. Seriously, beans are a complete food in combination with rice, but rice alone is hollow, and you will die from malnourishment.

Protein powders are a fine idea, assuming they're stored properly and kept very dry.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I would recommend stocking protein powders before thinking of weight gainers. Things like "Mega Mass 3000" with ridiculous serving sizes, are mainly simple carbs targeted for post-WO use. Granted, there is usually a hefty amount of protein in them, but the simple carbs are a bit overboard in my opinion, and could possibly lead to health complications in the long-term. Those are meant for very highly active individuals, and MAY have a place in your survival stash, but personally I'd rather focus on more complete foods rather than supplement drinks.

For long-life storage, find a brand of protein that comes in a sealed can. Designer, MLO, and EAS package them that way. More brands used to but I don't know anymore. Even GNC store brand used to make smaller sizes in cans. Myself, I've been addicted to Optimum's whey for about 12 years now and don't buy anything else, but they don't make it in cans as far as I know.

new topics

top topics

join