It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nullification of Good and Evil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I have been thinking on this for long enough and I feel it is time to once again share my concepts and ideals with the readers of ATS.

The Nullification of Good and Evil.

Many things come to mind as soon as someone says the word good, as the same goes for the word evil. When the word good is said in the sence of "what this person did was good, or a good thing," there is a positive connotation instantly. It isn't just a small little positivity, the word good carries with it a powerful connotation. One so powerful, it can change your emotions, feed your ego.

The same thing goes for the word evil. It carries with it a powerful negative connotation. Relating to the most horrible of horrible things or people.

What this does mentally is automatically create two categories to place yourself in. You can do things that are good in the eyes of society as a whole, or you can do things that are evil in the eyes of society as a whole.

Coming around to my big point, who decides what things are evil and what things are good?

For instance, one may say killing another human is an evil thing. Yet people claim to kill in the name of "goodness". Fighting wars to "defend themselves".

The same goes for things some consider evil. One may believe that it is an evil thing to kill another human under any circumstances. Another person may say that sometimes it is nessicary.

The truth of the matter is that there is no such thing as good or evil. Step out of the thinking boxes of either side into a neutral position. It then becomes obvious of everything. They aren't good, they aren't evil, they just hold one perspective of the same thing.

That's the realness of the whole situation, no good, no evil, just different perspectives. Due to the ego of our world, many cannot accept any other ideas than their own to be truth, so they claim anyone that believes otherwise are 'evil' people.

To be able to unclassify yourself as either, and for more people to accept that there's often more than one answer to the same problem and theirs might not always be the best one, is a step in the right direction for humanity.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
yeah, to you, your self-interest is good, and mine is evil if it conflicts with yours. (which it will, if we live long enough).
the child is told it is good when it does what is good for the parents...
and to misquote e.e. cummings, "hate is why men breathe"...

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I've never once claimed my own self interest to be 'good' to anyone. I will say it is beneficial to myself, that does not make it good, that does not make it evil. To claim it as good would to be attaching an abstract idea to mentally rape others into believing it is beneficial to them as well.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Xilvius

I tend to project that my own self-interest is good...you know, the way dope fiends want to turn on their friends...I'm having fun, tastes good to me...come on in, the water's fine...

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Such fools think thoughts of "Positives". I knew this one fool who would deny people not being "Positive" around him. He did not want "Negitivity" in his life. He was a great fool because the "Positives" that he projected were not positives in reality only positive from his perspective. The Negitives that he denied were not really negitives just egotistical self projection upon others of "negitivity".

There is no Positive VS Negitive in Objective Reality. Objectivity is the clearest goggles to view shared understandings of what is true and what is false.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
You need to put yourself in the shoes of the other person. How would you feel if the situation were reversed? That is how I determine good from evil.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by badmedia]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

If you are addressing me, then that point is mute, as I with my deeper understanding would feel far more objective and unitfied reality then that little man did. Sometimes, the bigger in popularity a person gets the smaller in personality they are.

However, that's not always the case.

(let it be understood) that this comment came before the editing of the above, thus with editing it's clearer to see what the poster was saying. This would seem to Nulliphy what I was saying, but I thought I'd leave it up regardless.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by Incarnated]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
You need to put yourself in the shoes of the other person. How would you feel if the situation were reversed? That is how I determine good from evil.

You need to step back and see how it effects both sides without any bias pushing you towards any particular side. See things for what they really are instead of defining them with a preset connotation. (negative or positive)

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

I Couldn't agree more. In meditation you put yourself into a place where there is whatever there is. However you do not allow yourself to define it as an evil thought, or a good thought, because that is allowing your ego to take control of your own mind. This is done because there's no such thing as good and evil, and when you take a look at any issue from a third party perspective rather than a first, you begin to see a whole new outlook on the same issues than when you looked at them in a first person perspective, which I myself define as being your ego's perspective.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
i try to do my best to walk the thin grey line of neutrality... its a hard thing to do and i think I'm a pretty good guy but what you think is may not be to someone else....

I like to keep the people around me happy i don't know why i've just always done it but when you try to do good your almost alway going to do something evil along with it.

Make some one happy and the cost of your own happiness may sound like a good thing but what about when that person finds out what you did?

then the whole thing is ruined(possibly) and you both may end up being miserable.

Theres nothing that can stop one or the other the more you lean to oneside the more the other pushes on you.

neutral is the way to go

Peace

Justice

PS.. don't know how this fits to the tread but i was just writing what came to me

new topics

top topics

join