It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix is an inside job

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Since on Mars the atmosphere is 135 times less dense than the Earth's one, this video

youtube.com...

is a biggest fraud.
Phoenix would cause no friction, no flame, no braking.
Its parachute would not open.
Phoenix would crash against hard Martian soil at 20,000 kmph

[edit on 14-9-2008 by Aninsidejob]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
i think the video is just an animation to let you know how they think it would look

edit: spelling

[edit on 14-9-2008 by Kalomar]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The ISS has to pull itself up from time to time because of the friction of the extremely rarefied atmosphere at that altitude, so I don't see any problem with Mars' atmosphere being dense enough to brake the fall of the probes, not only phoenix but also all other probes that had successful landings.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Yeah, plus here's the photo from the Mars Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter of it deploying it's parachute.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aninsidejob

yeah.. your right.. the phoenix never went to mars.. we never did make it to the moon .... the international space station is a fake too... I told some of those guys that work down in nasa... that they could never pull a conspiracy like that off.. but they wouldnt believe me... now that you caught them..what are you gonna do??? I mean.. my god.. what will happen... ?? the american people will probably burn the place down.. when they find out?? maybe we can get our money back at least..

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by philjwolf

I never thought of that, but that list could be back-tracked for some time, until we reached the point where it would be "we never discovered America".

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
It is sad to see the state of Science education these days. Physics 101 should be mandatory.

Just because the air on Mars is thin, doesn't mean that it is non existent. Thin air does indeed cause friction. The Mars probes have much larger parachutes than one would typically find being used on Earth. Engineers do quite a bit of calculating and computer simulation before making final designs. Think of the Earth atmosphere like water and that of Mars, like air. The Earth is a thick soup in comparison to Mars, but the air on Mars is still thick enough for parachutes to work quite well.

The air on Mars is thick enough to cause dust devils. Both the landers and orbiting instruments have recorded their presence. That should give you some clue.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Videos showing parachute deployment at high altitude and supersonic speed, simulating a martian level of atmospheric pressure. Parachute has no problems deploying and braking the payload:
lisar.larc.nasa.gov...
lisar.larc.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin

Think of the Earth atmosphere like water and that of Mars, like air. The Earth is a thick soup in comparison to Mars, but the air on Mars is still thick enough for parachutes to work quite well.

Smart reasoning

Why don't you think of the Earth atmosphere like concrete and that of Mars, like water?

If you look at Phoenix in comparison with its parachute,

Originally posted by Smugallo

you can easily notice that parachute is not much larger than one would typically find being used on Earth.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Ah dammit you guys are on to me again, that's it I give up!

I admit it, I did not go to mars!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Stop the movie at 46 seconds.

Have they tested Phoenix with cables?

Haven't they tested Phoenix on the ground at Lockheed Martin facility?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aninsidejob
you can easily notice that parachute is not much larger than one would typically find being used on Earth.
According to this page, the parachute has a diameter of 11.8 metres.

It also says that "Phoenix will deploy its parachute at about 12.6 kilometers (7.8 miles) in altitude and at a velocity of 1.7 times the speed of sound.", but it does not say if it's the speed of sound on Earth or on Mars.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander will parachute for nearly three minutes as it descends through the Martian atmosphere on May 25, 2008. Extensive preparations for that crucial period included this drop test near Boise, Idaho, in October 2006.

The parachute used for the Phoenix mission is similar to ones used by NASA's Viking landers in 1976. It is a "disk-gap-band" type of parachute, referring to two fabric components -- a central disk and a cylindrical band -- separated by a gap.
Phoenix parachute has a smaller diameter (11.8 meters)

Phoenix is an inside job. That 11.8 meters parachute has been tested in our atmosphere BUT MARTIAN ATMOSPHERE IS 135 TIMES LESS DENSE.

That parachute would not open on Mars like Twin Towers could not collapse that way.

Also Phoenix that lands on Mars that way is an inside job. Investigate

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I should have started by asking this, but I think it's still time for asking it.

What do you mean by "an inside job"?

jra

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aninsidejob
That parachute would not open on Mars...

Is that so? Please show me some tests that I assume you've done to see that a parachute won't open in the thin Martian atmosphere. ngchunter has linked to videos that show the opposite of what you claim.

You also seem to be confusing the terms "less dense atmosphere" with "no atmosphere". The former being what Mars has. It may not be as dense as Earth's but it's still there. A parachute will still deploy due to atmosphere acting apon it.

If the ISS can experiance atmospheric drag at 200 - 400 km in orbit. Then surely a parachute in the Matian atmosphere will.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The parachute wont open?????? Think about it again. If there is enough wind to create dust devils, then certainly there is enough atmospheric friction to cause a chute to deploy. Even a tiny toy parachute attached to a plastic army man would deploy if packed properly. It just would not have the same amount of drag as on on Earth. Perhaps it would serve you well to do a bit of study on the coefficient of friction. Google Friction and Drag, or check Wikipedia for basic information.

When an object falls, it accelerates. As its speed increases, the air resistance increases. Eventually you reach terminal velocity. The Deployment of a parachute effects drag, or friction, which will change terminal velocity.

For a free-fall parachutist, before the parachute opens, terminal velocity is around 120 miles per hour. When the parachute opens, the terminal velocity decreases to only a few miles per hour - a much better way to hit the ground!
This is an Earth based example but the principle is the same.

Here is an interactive where you can design you own Martain parachute--> NOVA Design a parachute

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
ngchunter has linked to videos that show the opposite of what you claim.

Those videos are fake animations.

This is instead real:

They have tested the parachute in our atmosphere close to the ground where it is much more dense

They are greatest hoaxers, greatest boasters that think all the people are idiot.
Phoenix is an inside job because it never went outside. At Lockheed Martin website you can see Phoenix artistic fake images only

Haven't they tested Phoenix on the ground really?
And yet it would have had to land on Mars automatically. It is an incredible enterprise, so incredible that only simpletons believe it is possible.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kalomar

Ya, its an animation, the description says it loudly and clearly :

JPL Mission Control during Phoenix landing on Mars, inter-cut with landing animation.

So one should not give any importance to the claim of someone who can't see what it is.
Although, JPL has done a big mistake. They shouldn't have blended the animation with real footage of control room staff. This would confuse common people. So I don't blame the OP here

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

aninsidejob -- Do I know you?...your posting style seems very familiar, especially this part of your post:

And yet it would have had to land on Mars automatically. It is an incredible enterprise, so incredible that only simpletons believe it is possible.

Anyway, do you have proof that ncghunter's videos are fake -- I'm talking about the videos showing the parachutes being tested very high in the Earth's atmosphere (where the atmosphere is very thin).

[edit on 9/16/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join