It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now is the best time to switch to BOINC.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
With BOINC in its earlier stages, it doesn't even have 1,000 teams yet. If most of the people here at ATS switch to BOINC early our team can make it to top position probably. Switching now will also allow you to get a head start on credit before the majority of the people who will use SETI BOINC. I've switched to BOINC now, and I think it's great. It takes a long time to process a work unit now, but this is due to debugging code.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I agree, this is our current status

67. AboveTopSecret.com SETI BOINC Team 24 192.71 2839.23 International

We are 67 out of 864 Teams
We have 24 Members
Our average credit is 192.71
Our Total Credit is 2839.23

If we have more people switch 'SIDES'

We will jump up really quick.
*I know Genya has a personal goal on SETI@Home*
we forgive you your Majesty

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Yep, I'm leaving my comp on 24/7 for this program now. It'll always be running too, I'm going to run it whenever playing a PC game too.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Looks like my former officemates have abandoned SETI completely. The stats for that account went from over 100 wu a day to nothing. That kind of sucks.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
Looks like my former officemates have abandoned SETI completely. The stats for that account went from over 100 wu a day to nothing. That kind of sucks.

Wouldn't it be a shame if something happened to them..

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Do you have those guys' business card? I might need them to sneak in and get my stuff back. Wonder if their rates are reasonable...

My old martial arts class could probably be persuaded to take on the job for chips, beer, and some DVD on the big screen, but I would likely never get rid of them again.

xn

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I wouldn't say so. v2.28 may release on Monday, which should make it much more stable. The current version has debugging code in it, which slows it down a lot. Also, I believe all credit will get reset once BOINC releases. This is a beta test and the point is to test the program.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
xn, do you know how long the two projects, classic SETI@Home and BOINC, will run parallel? I have puposely been letting mine run without a cache of work units to make sure I have all my results in when things wrap up, but the old program is still sending and receiving work as usual. What I have read lead me to believe that one day soon they will just turn off the server that hands out work.

I have all my machines here configured and working with BOINC,but only have it running on one. The switch should be pretty painless for me. If they do reset credit it may give ATS a good opportunity to grab a hig spot on the list since it sounds like a lot of people are 'good to go' with BOINC already.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK*I know Genya has a personal goal on SETI@Home*
we forgive you your Majesty

Why, thank you, kind Sir - take a Knighthood!!

Yes, I'm "sticking with" SETI@home client for the time being, as you know - I think I'm about 20 days away from 5kWU now (subject to power outages etc - these are rare, I'm pleased to say, but, you know how paranoid a person can become?!!
)

BUT - I *promise* to run BOINC in due course, as it is going to be an exceptionally good program I'm sure, and I (personally) like the idea of SETI@home Southern Hemisphere: the prospect of delving into the Galatic Centre is extremely tempting and - possibly - offers greater chances of finding "interesting" signal candidates than SETI data collected by Arecibo (which has a "limited" amount of sky it can access because it is non-steerable), as well as being constrained to the Northern Hemisphere (by vitue of it's location on Earth).

So, fear not!! I'll "be there" in due course and do my bit to help get ATS BOINC team as high in the team listings as possible.

What a team!!

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I plan on switching over as soon as BOINC is the official program.

I hope BOINC can work good on old computers because I may get my hands on a few old ones this summer and I was planning on running S@H/BOINC on them.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ranger

I hope BOINC can work good on old computers because I may get my hands on a few old ones this summer and I was planning on running S@H/BOINC on them.

Hi Ranger!!

I'm sure *any* computers will do (though proably not as efficiently as more "powerful" ones??

BOINC states:

"System requirements
Last modified 5:47 PM, February 14 2004

The BOINC core client is available for the following platforms:
Windows (95 and up)
Linux (on X86 and perhaps others)
Solaris/SPARC
Mac OS X

There are no specific hardware requirements (CPU speed, RAM, disk space, etc.). However, these factors may limit the amount or type of work that is sent to your computer. Each 'work unit' has minimum RAM and disk requirements, and a deadline for completion of its computation. A BOINC project won't send a work unit to a computer that can't handle it. (My emphasis).

If software is not available for your computer, you may still be able to participate in BOINC projects if you are able to compile the software yourself."

So, get the "dust" blown off them machines, Ranger, and "get cracking"!!

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricKWouldn't it be a shame if something happened to them..

When I first saw this, I thought it was a scene from Monty Python!!

"What do we do with a pointed stick?"

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Genya

Originally posted by Ranger

Hi Ranger!!

I'm sure *any* computers will do (though proably not as efficiently as more "powerful" ones??

BOINC states:

"System requirements
Last modified 5:47 PM, February 14 2004

The BOINC core client is available for the following platforms:
Windows (95 and up)
Linux (on X86 and perhaps others)
Solaris/SPARC
Mac OS X

There are no specific hardware requirements (CPU speed, RAM, disk space, etc.). However, these factors may limit the amount or type of work that is sent to your computer. Each 'work unit' has minimum RAM and disk requirements, and a deadline for completion of its computation. A BOINC project won't send a work unit to a computer that can't handle it. (My emphasis).

If software is not available for your computer, you may still be able to participate in BOINC projects if you are able to compile the software yourself."

So, get the "dust" blown off them machines, Ranger, and "get cracking"!!

Well I'm not sure I'm going to have those machines yet, I have no clue what kind of machines they are yet, a friend of mine just said "I might be able to get you half a dozen old machines from work if you want them" ...he works at KFC.... The computers they use to handle orders...
I'll see what I can do with that. The only thing I can say for sure is that I'll put my old 166MHz to work when I go back home for the summer from the uni. Yipee, that one can complete 1 WU in 2 and a half days!!!

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by Ranger]

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Genya
When I first saw this, I thought it was a scene from Monty Python!!

"What do we do with a pointed stick?"

You release the Bengal Tiger, of course!

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
So, what do you actually download and run to use BOINC? I can't figure it out

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by pyxsul
So, what do you actually download and run to use BOINC? I can't figure it out

Here is a link to the BETA test and instructions on getting started:
BOINC - BETA test

xn is great about keeping us up to date with BOINC developments in the BOINC thread

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by Spectre]

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
[Edited on 3/21/2004 by OXmanK]

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Awesome, Thanks Spectre. I'm now on the team and going

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pyxsul
Awesome, Thanks Spectre. I'm now on the team and going

GREAT job pyxsul (with thanx to Spectre, of course)!!

I'm getting very jealous, you know??!!

xn

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Spectre: Seti@home will run until BOINC reaches the M2 milestone.
pyxsul: Visit the BOINC beta test page. Sign up for an account, then download the software. Install the software and go to settings, then attach to project. Put the project url in and your key (that you'll get by email). BOINC is the framework. Once you attach to the project you're signed up for it'll download the actual seti app from the server along with as many workunits as you want. Go to the settings to change the number of workunits it caches. All the settings are on the beta test site. Rebooting BOINC will get the latest settings from the server.

As always visit my BOINC thread for all the latest news about BOINC.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join