It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama calls for US military mobilization

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by manson_322
this is saddening , do americans even care to stop this fascism ???

Stop fascism, eh? Well, it sounds nice but dancing with the stars is on in 5 so, yeah, America's going to have to take a rain check on that one. But thanks for dropping by and we'll make sure we give your complaints to our shadow overloads. Surely they'll realize they'll realize their fascist ways and recant.

Look hun, the war is on, turn it up!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
All I have to say is Old Snake's quote... "War, and it's consumption of life has become a well-oiled machine."

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I watched Obama's response to the national service issue. I have to say, based on what he said, I honestly can't figure out whether he wants mandatory service or not. He never used the word "mandatory", but he did say that the current situation was unfair, since in his opinion, the vast majority of the military come from the more financially disadvantaged. Does anyone know if there is a PUBLISHED stance that he takes regarding mandatory service? He did say that the service didn't have to be military, and mentioned that they would pay to educate teachers, and then SEND them to economically stressed areas. It seems all very nebulous to me.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Your source has totally twisted the meaning of what Obama (and McCain for that matter - because they both agree) said. And frankly, I'm surprised you believed this piece of highly-biased and inaccurate media. Did YOU watch the forum?

I'm sorry. Your article is rubbish.

Of course the source twisted the material.

We are talking Pravda here. A tabloid with as much credibility as Debka and the Epoch Times. How many of these "news outlets" stories pan out under scrutiny? Perhaps less than 1%. .

I am amazed that these outlets are acceptable as source material on this website. And people complain about using Wikipedia as a source. .

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Hmmmm....

I think its important for the president to say, uh, this is an important obligation. If we are gong into a war then all of us go, not just some. -Obama

That doesn't sound like some equlity sermon to me...

EDIT: Okay, now I've noted the preceding words I somehow missed, which does make things lean more towards your position....

But I think everyone might be missing some elements:

Recently in my posting of the Obama Calls For National Civilian Stasi story I pointed how how his calling for all middle & high school children to perform every year in a “National Security Force” (spy on your neighbors, etc) I pointed out the parallels with Democrat Charley Rangel’s annual legislative push for a “Universal National Service Act” requiring all men and women ages 18-42 to serve in military or homeland security service.
LINK

[edit on 15-9-2008 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
If you go with only what Obama says, it sounds like a poor attempt to combat inner city crime. If large portions of the youth are sent away to millitary service, there will be less youth to comit crime or get into the habit(or just displace that crime onto other countrys populace, and summarily hide the info). I cant wait to see how obama is going to make being an "uncle tom" cool to inner city kids. It sounds like hes trying to replace gang culture with millitary secvice culture. And, if more people do enroll into the millitary,wont all the gi bills for college kill the taxpayers when they collect on it, not to mention armoring all the new influx of troops?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
If you go with only what Obama says, it sounds like a poor attempt to combat inner city crime. If large portions of the youth are sent away to millitary service, there will be less youth to comit crime or get into the habit(or just displace that crime onto other countrys populace, and summarily hide the info). I cant wait to see how obama is going to make being an "uncle tom" cool to inner city kids.

Wow! Amazing insights! I hadn't heard or thought of anything like that, and I pride myself in striving for insightual originality. You should consider doing a detailed article pushing all the angles of that dichotomy.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Does anyone know if there is a PUBLISHED stance that he takes regarding mandatory service?

That whole story was *Surprise* taken entirely out of context. The plan lets a student work 100 hours of public service in exchange for a $4000 tax credit for college. It is, in no way "mandatory".

The way it's written on the site:

Require 100 Hours of Service in College: Obama will establish a new American Opportunity Tax Credit that is worth $4,000 a year in exchange for 100 hours of public service a year.

People saw the word "require" and went nuts. To get the $4000, it's REQUIRED to work 100 hours. But the program itself is entirely voluntary.

Obama does promote enabling ALL people to serve in some small way, with special programs for young people performing various kind of service, getting involved in their community and feeling part of the country, but none of it is mandatory.

Obama's Plan for Service

[edit on 15-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

No-no-no:

“We will ask Americans to serve,” the Illinois Democrat said. “We will create new opportunities for Americans to serve.”

“We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we’ve set,” he said Wednesday. “We’ve got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.”
www.chicagotribune.com...

That's not just typical help-out-the-community pisk-up-garbage material he was talking about.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

What do you mean, "No, no, no"? It's all voluntary. He is going to create opportunities, make it easier for people to do service to their country. Like AmeriCorps, the Peace Corps.

But he's not going to force or require anyone to do it. (Unless, of course, they want the $4000 tax credit)

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join