It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA and the Galveston West End Cover up

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Okay, things are looking up. A poster on KHOU has been able to extract three frames from the Coast Guard flyover footage of Jamaica Beach. It is looking toward the bay side and the area in view is from north of 3005 toward the bay. No gulf side beach shots are available. So Jamaica Beach, as far as north of 3005 to Bay appears inundated, but not destroyed. (Can't tell if there is anything left on the gulf coast line.)

This puts us having a shot of 16 miles out - just 15 more miles to go. Areas yet unknown - Indian Beach, Sea Isle, San Louis Point.

*Keeps fingers crossed*

[edit on 9-14-2008 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Would any one like to place a wager?

When Its all over and done, they (The Lawmakers) will probably use the disaster and its outcome to pass yet another law to take away more
of our personal freedom, and take yet another step towards NWO.

WATCH

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
www.chabad.org...

When it made landfall in the predawn hours of Sept. 13, Ike slammed into the barrier island of Galveston, Texas, with 110 mph winds. According to news reports, flooding from the hurricane’s storm surge and a larger-than-usual wind field had already inundated most of the island, which underwent mandatory evacuations on Friday. Casualties remained low, with no fatalities recorded as of Sunday morning, The New York Times reported.

Low casualties. I think this is good news. Not sure why the cell are off, though, and no media coverage is off, if there aren't bodies about.
Maybe more people actually got out, than reported.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Just something that hasn't sat right with me.

HOUSTON — Twenty-two people aboard a 584-foot freighter adrift in the Gulf of Mexico must ride out Hurricane Ike because it's too dangerous for a rescue attempt, the U.S. Coast Guard said Friday.
If the crew were removed, he said, "you basically have a 584-foot unmanned vessel headed toward Galveston."
No details were immediately available on the name of the ship, which was hauling petroleum coke,

www.caller.com...

I remember a CNN reported stating that a refinery had leaked some "coke" into the bay.

Odd coincidence.

Not saying it means anything, but odd that we haven't heard anything about the unnamed ship.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manasseh

Is it any coincidence that the building had a pyramid with a star in it at the top?

[edit on 14-9-2008 by Manasseh]

Nice...............

I am glad to see this thread. My local radio station was talking about this hurricane and even gave a plug to the weatherwars website where the guy was saying that this hurricane would be 10 times worse than Katrina, after it hit it didn't seem to be so, but in light of the issues brought forth in this thread it seems that we may have more surprises coming.

Starred and flagged.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I'm monitoring a local news channel: ( HERE. )

They are reporting "hundreds, if not thousands" (that's a quote) looking for evacuation in Galveston. They showed throngs of people waiting to get on buses. Already tempers are rising, because of a lack of emergency supplies.

Oddly, still no mention of the West End. Though, I think my TV link is for Houston.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
www.chabad.org...

When it made landfall in the predawn hours of Sept. 13, Ike slammed into the barrier island of Galveston, Texas, with 110 mph winds. According to news reports, flooding from the hurricane’s storm surge and a larger-than-usual wind field had already inundated most of the island, which underwent mandatory evacuations on Friday. Casualties remained low, with no fatalities recorded as of Sunday morning, The New York Times reported.

Low casualties. I think this is good news. Not sure why the cell are off, though, and no media coverage is off, if there aren't bodies about.
Maybe more people actually got out, than reported.

How is this report unreliable, let me count the ways:

1. Galveston leaders verified yesterday that bodies were seen on both the bay and surf side in a flyover..."no fatalities recorded" while true, is disingenuous...they just haven't been recorded yet.

2. They haven't gotten into the area as of this morning - of their own admission, so they have no way of knowing if "casualties are low". Casualties may be low on the sea walled portion of the island, but that's not where the greatest risk was, or is.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Here's another article about rescue efforts:

A priority is checking on 140,000 who stayed

The full extent of the property damage as well as the human toll still was coming into focus late Saturday.

While government officials did preliminary surveys from land and air to get a sense of what lies ahead, search-and-rescue crews were combing through inundated areas to find out what happened to the estimated 140,000 people who defied mandatory evacuation orders and stayed home.

Gov. Rick Perry said the search-and-rescue operation was the largest ever undertaken in the state, involving 57 helicopters and more than 1,500 people on the ground.

Still looking for specific West End reports....

(I'm still shocked how many stayed.
)

[edit on 14-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This Coast Guard aerial video is reportedly of the west end.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Does anyone know how to interpret audio Morse code?

I've been monitoring the HAM radio link found here. Every five to ten minutes or so, I hear an announcement of letter codes, followed by Morse Code.

I'd be curious to hear what's being communicated.

BTW, in a news conference I'm listening in Galveston right now is indicating "substantial and long term or permanent damage to the island."

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I am shocked at how many stayed too. I couldn't believe in another thread someone called this something like "Possibly the biggest Darwin Award Candidacy in history".

Just amazing how many people think they can beat nature. I hope things aren't as bad as it sounds.

Shame that New York Times report about 'low casualties' is mislading.

Hard to have any idea what is going on.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
This Coast Guard aerial video is reportedly of the west end.

Beginning at Jamaica Beach and headed back toward the east.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
With regards to the freighter someone mentioned, I believe I recall hearing on the news yesterday that it had made port safely somewhere, though I have no links to verify this with.

As far as the bio lab is concerned, I agree that it's pretty ridiculous to put such a lab in a hurricane prone area. I'm sure there are other ways to secure facilities like that, and enough ways to encourage people to work in the middle of nowhere if necessary - regardless of the expense, it makes more sense to lure scientists with awesome facilities and high pay, than it does to risk a building being flattened by a hurricane. Engineering is sophisticated and good when it wants to be, but not perfect.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Anyone listening to the live video feed news conference?

Reporting for the region:

394 air rescued

1948 total rescues

No specific numbers for Galveston.

The guy punted the casualties issue. The question was bounced three times. One mentioned next of kin issues and something about the coroners office.

They are refusing this question several times while I type this.

"No official casualty numbers."

Yup. They are definitely controlling the flow of information. Incidentally, they keep mentioning "search and rescue....and recovery".

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This is not what I expected from our government. I would really like to know if I still have my parents home on pirates beach. what a sham. we are even still in the dark here in houston and I am using a computer at a hospital. I even just saw on the news that they are just now getting water and ice to those in galveston.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Okay, they're coming forward now. Horrendous. 30 homes in the water*.

They mean in the gulf.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
They're talking about the west end now!

"The devastation was horrendous."

They are passing on the casualties issue.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Did you see the graphic?

"Galv. City Manager: Not sure what happened to the people at the West End"

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Valhall

Did you see the graphic?

"Galv. City Manager: Not sure what happened to the people at the West End"

NO! My video is buffering very sporadically, mainly only getting audio continuously.

What was the graphic?

OKAY -I SEE IT NOW...oh my gawd.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

They are alluding to major devastation on the west end but the search is not complete.

I really believe they were not a large number of people on the west end during the storm.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join