It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA and the Galveston West End Cover up

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
My wife and I live in Jamaica Beach and evacuated to Austin. We have been scouring the Web, phoning and texting friends and family still in the impact area, and reading blogs. Not only is access to the West End being controlled by land, sea, and air using state and federal assets, but when reporters are permitted in we are getting misdirection. On two separate occasions, new copters have reported providing footage of Jamaica Beach which was actually Sea Isle. I know, I live there. How two separate new copter reporters from two different stations could both misidentify what they were shooting is baffling. Don't they have maps?

I am not much of a conspiracy buff but I am deeply disturbed by this information blackout. It is not a security matter; if so, there would be similar measures in effect on Bolivar and there are not. It is not a public safety issue; preliminary reports suggest the West End fared much better than some other areas, the waters have receded, the weather is cooperating and folks who live out there know how to take precautions. If there are floaters and corpses about, one can decline to show them on TV but still be truthful to press.

Why are they working so hard to prevent information about the West End from getting out? And why is the news media not hammering officials for the truth. Is there something to hide? What could it possibly be?

- Karankawa

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Google Earth before pictures compared to satellite post-Ike pictures:

google-latlong.blogspot.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Another site with excellent overlays before and after which also include street names:

jakeabby.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
the dearth of reporting in this case has left me puzzled.

because I had thought that the USA's authorities would do better when it came to helping their own people.

So I have been waiting for some detailed and honest reports about what has really gone on and what is being done about it, and there has been so little coming out that it's frankly disturbing. It's like it never really happened. As several have said, you can't hide the effects of a hurricane. However, if you clamp down on the mass media you can certainly slow down the release of that information and reduce its impact.

Is that the reasoning? I don't know. But it seems from what I have seen (via the links to press conferences) that the media are being restricted.

Sorry for snipping your post in my quote.

In my opinion the situation is this, FEMA etc does not want people to see what is taking place, the way to keep this from happening is to shut down the flow of information. Control the information, control the people.

As Americans seem to have a very short attention span give this another week and no one will be asking "well what did take place?" We will be off to work, doing laundry, taking our kids to school and not even remembering that Ike took place or that our government shut down the flow of information.

In six months or less the government will release a report that explains what happened, ie what they want us to know, and they will write the history books to their advantage.

I have friends that live down their, when I spoke to them last Thursday the plan was for them to leave early Friday morning, from the reports I have read their is a large possibility that they could not get out by Friday morning. I have still not heard from them and am very concerned. When I do hear from them I will post back here.

Move along, nothing to see here, your friends? They moved to (insert any far off place).

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuckAccording to the information which I received from my own sources within the National Guard, the figure I was quoted when I was down there was 5,280-something. And they were quietly disposed of in incinerators that were hurriedly put together by both the National Guard and FEMA..."

Why would anyone try to hide the fact that 5,280 people died as a result of a terrible natural disaster?

How could this lie be perpetuated? Are we to believe that the employers, creditors, families and/or friends of 5,280 individuals would never report to anyone that their employees, debtors, relatives, or friends have disappeared from the face of the Earth?

Unlikely IMO. Impossible to hide.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
What type of predators are in those waters or could have been brought in land due to the storm? What role, if any, could they be playing in a media blackout?

I think that the powers that be want to get a firm grip on the casualties and get their SAR and aid to victims together. They don't need more egg on their face.

For the conspriacists:
Perhaps something was blown onto shore from the depths.
Something uncovered in the sand.
Isn't there some ship laden with California Gold Rush that went down in those waters?
Ancient artifacts or alien craft?

[edit on 16-9-2008 by mantic]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
Why would anyone try to hide the fact that 5,280 people died as a result of a terrible natural disaster?
Unlikely IMO. Impossible to hide.

Well, that's why I brought it to the attention of the thread...so that they could read the piece, give it some thought, poke around on their own for some web-based corrabaration...you know, present a reasoned response.

Kinda the same way that I dug something up that had relavence to the issue of covering up the extent of a natural disaster.

Because we all know it doesn't take either a lot of effort or a lot of brains to dismiss something out of hand. You don't Deny Ignorance by standing there...hands on hips...exclaiming "Doubters, eh?"

We're too clever for that, right?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbluesky

Here is some information, or at least what was publicly announced....

More than 3,200 people remain listed as missing some five months after Hurricane Katrina struck the US' Gulf coast, officials have said.

Thousands on Katrina Missing List

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Thanks, but this is very different from FEMA or the national gaurd secretly incinerating dead bodies without telling anyone.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Well, that's why I brought it to the attention of the thread...so that they could read the piece, give it some thought, poke around on their own for some web-based corrabaration...you know, present a reasoned response.

Johnny, I though my response was reasoned. I employed logic and came up with a question in response to your information. Would you care to speculate as to why any Govt would want to hide the true number of fatalaties from a Hurricane?

Kinda the same way that I dug something up that had relavence to the issue of covering up the extent of a natural disaster.

That's great, but why be annoyed when someone raises a question regarding what you dug up? This is a discussion board. I had a question, which you ignored, and an opinion which you dismissed and ridiculed. It wouldn't be much of a discussion if all we did was post second hand infomation without stating our thoughts and opinions, or asking questions.

Have a wonderful day.

[edit on 9/16/2008 by darkbluesky]

[edit on 9/16/2008 by darkbluesky]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbluesky

done digging...

sigh...last post for now...too sad. I have not confirmed this information yet but will share so that other folks can dig. Take care all.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has hired Kenyon International to set up a mobile morgue for handling bodies in Baton Rouge, Louisiana following H urricane Katrina, RAW STORY has learned. Kenyon is a subsidiary of Service Corporation International (SCI), a scandal-ridden Texas-based company operated by a friend of the Bush family. Recently, SCI subsidiaries have been implicated in illegally discarding and desecrating corpses. Louisiana governor Katherine Blanco subsequently inked a contract with the firm after talks between FEMA and the firm broke down. Kenyon's original deal was secured by the Department of Homeland Security. In other words, FEMA and then Blanco outsourced the body count from Hurricane Katrina -- which many believe the worst natural disaster in U.S. history -- to a firm whose parent company is known for its "experience" at hiding and dumping bodies.

FEMA outsources Katrina body count

How convenient they are from Texas.....

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm not trying to be argumentative or dismissive. This thread is about a cover-up, or infomation blackout regarding Hurricane damage. There have been plenty of facts posted that back-up this assertion. No denying it.

My question is why? Why the media black-out? Johhny pointed out that there have been "rumors" in the past that high fatalaties were covered-up by FEMA. I ask again why?

Are any of you thinking there is more to this than hiding hurricane damage or the number of fatalities. Because if you are, I'd love to hear your ideas. I can't come up with any logical reasons for permanently trying to obfuscate the facts regarding the extent of damage or number of deaths from a Hurricane, especially one where the potential victims were warned in the strongest terms possible.

The degree of damage will be clear to see in very short order.

The number of deaths cannot be hidden permanently.

Maybe there are other factors at work behind the media blackout.
What do you think they might be?

Or if you believe it is just an attempt to cover up of the exent of damage and death, please explain how you think this cover-up would benefit anyone?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky Johnny, I though my response was reasoned. I employed logic and came up with a question in response to your information. Would you care to speculate as to why any Govt would want to hide the true number of fatalaties from a Hurricane?

Isn't that the nature of this thread? Is the observation not being made that something appears to be afoot? Is a hint that it mightn't be the first time not relevent to this discussion?

Why cover it up? In Katrina we had "Heck of a job, Brownie." That was the official response to what had been a screw-up of colossal proportions. Why lie? 65 deaths are a footnote worthy of a response akin to "Well, there ya go." 5000 dead demands accountability...something politicians are notorious for avoiding.

That's great, but why be annoyed when someone raises a question regarding what you dug up?
Frankly, I am seeing what looks like partisan politics rearing its ugly head as the reactions of the government of the day are being scrutinised. If I misread your skeptisism, excuse me. You see a lot of nuance from the outside looking in, as a previous poster noted.

I had a question, which you ignored, and an opinion which you dismissed and ridiculed.

I hope I have answered your question, and I didn't give much weight to your opinion as it was based upon what you figure...not upon what information you had made available to you and declined to investigate.

I will apologise for being snippy.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Much of this has been ringing a bell, as I recall reading a piece about the untold death toll of Hurricane Andrew, back in '92.

The government cites 65 dead: "Andrew was directly responsible for 26 deaths, but including indirect loss of life the death toll was 65." www.csc.noaa.gov...

But I found a report by k.t. Frankovich, originally published in nexus magazine (chime in here Duncan, if you have anything to add) which includes the following:" According to the information which I received from my own sources within the National Guard, the figure I was quoted when I was down there was 5,280-something. And they were quietly disposed of in incinerators that were hurriedly put together by both the National Guard and FEMA..."

I wouldn't try and pitch a product on another site...but one should read this chilling report. (mods...some leeway, please. Trying to avoid skirting copyright issues as well)

What can I tell you...I can only hope for the best, and that Katrina taught the various levels of government how to serve their citizens...instead of serving up another FUBAR.

I read a personal account of the aftermath of Andrew by a woman who was brutalized by cops and told to basically F off when she asked for help.

Cover-up=no accountability. Katrina was a disgrace that made it to the international media, they won't make that mistake again, much cheaper to just avoid scrutiny than actually improve rescue operations.

The cover-up needs no more proof, I hope the people who are down there will tell it like it is.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Why cover it up? In Katrina we had "Heck of a job, Brownie." That was the official response to what had been a screw-up of colossal proportions. Why lie? 65 deaths are a footnote worthy of a response akin to "Well, there ya go." 5000 dead demands accountability...something politicians are notorious for avoiding.

If the deaths were the result of failed emergency response measures I agree 100%, however, in this instance (Ike) the alleged cover up started almost immediately after the storm passed so all that is being covered up would be deaths resulting directly from the storm. How can any govt be held accountable for that?

If you or anyone else is implying that FEMA is covering up the fact that there were alot of surviviors on the west end, that FEMA couldn't or wouldn't rescue, and who have died, or will die, then I understand your viewpoint, but again I have just as much right to find this hard to believe (personally) as you or anyone else has, to find it likely.

I will apologise for being snippy.

As will I.
Out.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
has anybody looked at a google map of the Galveston Island. you can see where they have changed the map.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Not to sound too cold blooded here, but they did tell the citizens of Galveston Island to evacuate before hand.

To what I recall the media and the government were urging people to evacuate on Monday of that week Ike was predicted to arrive inland. Many citizens did evacuate 4 days before Ike hit; however, there were still people in the island that decided to take their chances.

There was media coverage before and after Ike hit, and as to what I've seen so far there were people in the island that clearly didn't really care about Ike. Some people were drinking, others were surfing, while others were just standing around playing around the beach/sea wall.

1. People were warned
2. Roads were open for evacuation
3. They were told again to evacuate

After being told to evacuate several times, the ones who decided to stay were calling for help later that evening once Ike was approaching the island. Rescue teams did rescue few people before calling it a day later that night.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I am only a lurker and have never posted. But just wanted to add my two cents...I agree with the poster about the Agenda 21 and how destruction like this seems to line up with it, being the first step to the government getting the land they want. That would make sense regarding the media black-out and so forth, no accountability of the government for unreported deaths and land that they will probably soon say cannot be inhabited any longer. That makes you wonder if the destruction is natural or from HAARP, but that would be another thread I am sure. Anyway, thanks to the op and posters who are diligently keeping us informed. Appreciate it.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Ive been following this thread with sadness and with empathy for those that have, or may have lost their lives or the place they call "Home".

Im going to throw something on the table that may sound preposterous to many, but here goes.....

As an outsider looking in, (Im from Scotland), is it possible that the people in power are in fact, creating a cover-up just because they can?
Is it a means test of their own absolute power when those who are worried about loved ones are left hanging not knowing their fate. What better way of keeping the sheeple down, afraid and under the cosh. What better way of measuring the level of controll they have. What better way of testing where we all are at this moment in their overall game plan.

I think we are witnessing a month more precarious than september 2001. A month that is engineered through mind controll and fear. My friends, your worry and concern is being used as a weapon against you all. Add the financial news and whatever else is going to head to your door this month and Im afraid it all adds up to the American population being subdued through yet more fear amd anxiety.

I dont buy into the idea of "Ike" being man made, but do beleive some are taking advantage of the carnage left behind by it. I have a very bad feeling that everything that is happening just now is geared towards the first week in October and the attacking of Iran.

If enough bad things happen to you, you will be de-sensitised to the thought and vision of nuclear explosions in the middle east.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by captiva]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkmaster
Not to sound too cold blooded here, but they did tell the citizens of Galveston Island to evacuate before hand.

You are correct on all points of your post...but this thread is actually not about those who stayed or left, it's about the fact that those who left, those who have family and friends on the island who may not have left, and the taxpayers who fund the response to these situations are being intentionally kept in the blind.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join