It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA and the Galveston West End Cover up

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+55 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Typical of the behavior exhibited during Katrina, it now appears we have a real-time cover-up playing out for the West End of Galveston Island.

I have been concerned about the west end of the island from since before the hurricane made landfall because of the lack of seawall and the fact that the communities in that area are virtually sitting at sea level. Certain areas of the west end of the island are so narrow between Gulf and bay that if you're a really good golf player, you could make a water shot from one side to the other.

I have been following the damage report forums set up by KHOU (Houston News Channel) to try and find out the state of the west end, because I started getting a rather hinky feeling yesterday when NO reports of the west end came out by the major OR local news stations. AND, when a helicopter was finally sent up for aerial footage by one local news source, IT SHOWED NO FOOTAGE OF THE WEST END.

In fact, the Coast Guard has video on their site of post-hurricane fly overs and they do NOT show the west end communities.

There is a KHOU forum dedicated to damage on Galveston Island. Access here...

www.khou.com...

Even the displaced home owners of the West end are in the dark. Last evening it was posted that Houston ABC affiliate Channel 13 (KTRK I believe) reported that "police had banned media coverage of the west end of the island". That was the first disturbing sign.

Then, a resident who is relocated posted that her husband is in the Coast Guard and even HE couldn't get a straight story on the state of the west end.

It has just been reported on Houston local news stations that "FEMA has taken over the cell phone service for the Galveston area".

I fear that portions of the west end of the island are completely gone. And I fear FEMA and LE (Law Enforcement) are trying to keep this from the public until the waters recede.

My personal opinion on people who remain behind during hurricanes is that they have less than a full deck of cards ...BUT, with that opinion aside the numbers (as stated by the Mayor of Galveston) are playing out as follows:

20,000 residence were reported to have stayed.
40% of the population lives on the west end of the island
Ambiguous statements by the mayor have alluded to "devastation" and "taking a beating". In one press conference she got very emotional when referencing the damage to the west end.

I fear the worst (because that's the way I am - a worry wart)...but I thought I'd let people know that FEMA has commandeered the only communication system available to any one who may be alive on the west end...and the media is being reported to not have access to reporting on the area.

KHOU Galveston damage forum:

www.khou.com...

Thread reporting FEMA blocking cell phone access:

www.khou.com...

Just so anyone unfamiliar with the island can understand the region in question, please see this Galveston Island map (pdf):

www.galveston.com...

The blow-up at the bottom is the area not covered yet. Basically everything west of the seawall is in question. There is one report on Pirate's Beach, but aside from that - unknown.

[edit on 9-14-2008 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

...found this about said topic:

In Galveston, the worst-hit city and the place where the massive storm's eye made landfall, authorities were still unsure whether there were fatalities among the thousands of residents who ignored warnings to flee. Rescue workers were moving block by block across 32-mile Galveston Island and had found no fatalities by the 11-mile marker. But they were concerned that there could be deaths on the more devastated western side of the island, which still lay ahead.

"We haven't even gotten to the west end, and I know the west end is totally devastated," City Manager Steve LeBlanc said. Two apartment buildings in the eastern part of town collapsed. "We don't know if there are people in there or not," LeBlanc said.

'Fate unclear of those who stayed'

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Posted to KHOU damage forums:

www.khou.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread Val, it is kind of unnerving that news from the area has been almost non-existent.

I just saw on FNC, a huge convoy of passenger buses, they said it was the arrival of FEMA & the National Guard to Galveston for the search & rescue/relief efforts.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
What's FEMA got to do with it? FEMA is a federal back-up for the normal State emergency response services etc.

As I see it the problem is that news coverage isn't giving pictures of a specific area that you personally want to see? Is that a conspiracy?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
What's FEMA got to do with it? FEMA is a federal back-up for the normal State emergency response services etc.

As I see it the problem is that news coverage isn't giving pictures of a specific area that you personally want to see? Is that a conspiracy?

I don't know - did I say it was? Move along if you've got something that is higher on your priority list.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Wow. Great post.

Here's what I'm curious about. Has anyone heard a follow-up of how this facility weathered the storm? Is it located in the west end? I sure hope not.

blog.wired.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Wow. Great post.

Here's what I'm curious about. Has anyone heard a follow-up of how this facility weathered the storm? Is it located in the west end? I sure hope not.

blog.wired.com...

Holy Moly - do you have a location on the island that this place is?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

OMG, that is scary.

If there is a possibility for a killer outbreak would they need to quarantine the island?

Maybe that is why they warned that everyone should leave or face certain death?

Man, this is like some movie.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

No. That's why I am so curious. Before the storm there was a news blurb on Headline news about how the facility was being secured and all of the biological samples were being stored in a secure manner. After the storm, not a word.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

I think you are on to something. Why is FEMA taking over cell service??

There is about 35 miles of homes that have not been shown. What is up?

If it smells like a fish, it probably has something to do with the Federal Government.

Gives the saying "facing certain death" a new meaning now, doesn't it.

By the way, where is Bush? In the Gustav hurricane, he was all over the news meeting with Texas officials.

In this hurricane, I have heard nothing from him.

Hmmm.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Here is an article on the lab, which is associated with the University of Texas, the eerie thing is that there are alot of DEAD links in regards to the facility from doing a quick Google here:

www.google.com...

Might be me so I provided the google results above for other members to check it out.

Here is the article announcing the facility:

www.cidrap.umn.edu

Government officials and scientists yesterday recognized the formal opening of construction on a laboratory that will house research on the most dangerous emerging infectious diseases and potential bioterrorism agents.

The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston is the site of the $167 million facility. Of the total 83,000-square-foot building, 12,362 square feet will be devoted to biosafety level 4 (BSL-4) research.

BSL-4 space is secure for work with "dangerous and exotic agents that pose a high individual risk of aerosol-transmitted laboratory infections and life-threatening disease," according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Among BSL-4 safeguards are special air seals and air ducts to and from the lab, individual air supplies for researchers, required personal protection suits for workers, and numerous levels of security for entry. Such labs study diseases including anthrax, Ebola, SARS, and others.

[edit on 9/14/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Just found this:

www.utmb.edu...

The Keiller Building did experience some flooding in the basement but the rest of the facility is fine. There has been no loss of biocontainment or biosecurity. All labs were decontaminated and secured prior to the arrival of the storm. All agents have been stored in proper containers. The Shope Lab within the Keiller Building also remains secure.

Or so they say...but I'd still like an address to Google it.

[edit on 14/9/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Yeah, it appears it's at the UTMB facility near the Strand (which flooded by up to 9 feet and is sitting at about 4 feet floodwaters right now). I wouldn't THINK that would have anything to do with the lack of coverage on the west end.

But it's scary to find out they would put such a lab on a barrier island...wowzer, we have some real intellectual-midgets making decisions in this country.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The west end is not a highly populated area as far as permanent residents. There are mostly weekend use type houses.

I was noteworthy that the fly overs didn't seem to continue past San Luis Pass onto the west end. Some of the ground based reporting might be due to impassible roads.

A similar situation could be made for the Bolivar Pennisula.

Time will tell on this one.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Some of the ground based reporting might be due to impassible roads.

A similar situation could be made for the Bolivar Pennisula.

Time will tell on this one.

Agreed on the ground-based coverage. But a media helicopter was allowed up yesterday and a CG chopper took post-hurricane assessment video and neither of them showed the west end of the island.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
We were wondering about the fly overs also. Could be the Houston news helicopters didn't have the ability to venture that far away from Houston. Still seems suspicious that they stopped near the San Luis Pass.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
This is at least interesting... Someone in Galveston received $1,000,000 for "FEMA -Galveston direct messaging pilot program" in 2008 from the DHS.

earmarks.omb.gov...

What the heck is that all about?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

West Of 53rd Street

While Broadway and 61st Street were dry by Saturday afternoon, neighborhoods close to English and Offatts Bayou remained heavily flooded.

Most of the island west of 61st Street remained impassable all day Saturday.

No one really knew how much damage was on the West End.

galvestondailynews.com...

Why not??

The City of Galveston has disconnected water and sewer connections on the west end of the island from the end of the Seawall west, Pelican Island and from First Street east. Water service will be restored when bacteriological tests permit.

www.myfoxhouston.com...

Rescue workers were moving block by block across 32-mile Galveston Island and had found no fatalities by the 11-mile marker. But they were concerned that there could be deaths on the more devastated western side of the island, which still lay ahead.

"We haven't even gotten to the west end, and I know the west end is totally devastated," City Manager Steve LeBlanc said.

www.boston.com...

Does it seem like a lackluster effort for the West End? Strange.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
In regards to the UTMB facility, this is as close as I could get on Mapquest.

UTMB

No building names, just the area, but it is in the Northern portion of Galveston as far as I can tell.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join