It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seperation of church and state? Why do presidents swear an oath on the Bible?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

If I was sworn in, I'd swear the oath with my hand on a DVD containing the phone directories of every US town and city, or some other document personally representing them all. After all, you are promising to them that you won't be a dick, not God. He has nothing to do with it. He doesn't pay taxes.

God doesn't even have a US passport, for crying out loud.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

Goodness that would be a thick phonebook.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

That's why I opted for a DVD of said phonebook
Or I guess one written in a very small font, maybe using nanolithography...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

I'll watch for you phone-book-DVD theologians taking a hold of Washington, then...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
God is inside each of us. It is the church and PTB that try and push out a separation between you and god. It is when you give up your own authority and responsibility that you turn your back on god. Part of free will is the will to give it away. That's your own choice. So in a sense, god does pay taxes.

Separation of church and state is done to protect religion. If 1 religion is allowed to create laws based on religion, then freedom of religion is lost. Even if it happened to be your religion, you are still not allowed to worship freely, as you would quickly find out the minute you changed your mind, and would be subject to reap what you sowed.

Religion is just a set of beliefs. As for the whole bible thing when taking office, beats me. It wouldn't matter to me if they did or didn't. What matters to me is the crap they do after it.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Yes I agree with you here, actually.

I don't care what book they swear on. That's their personal choice. But that president will catch (scuse the term!) hell from me if their legislation supports a theocracy of any kind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join