It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a Note From Semper on Politics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
All On The Same Side

Some of you may wonder why I have not been as vocal as I have been previously in regards to politics here at ATS. Or maybe not..

I am sure many of you attribute that to being selected as a Moderator and in some ways you would not be wrong, but if you recall I stepped back somewhat prior to this for one very good reason.

I found myself in a conversation with another member in which I began to think less of that person because of their political views. Truly less of them!!!!!!

I found myself talking to my wife about this, my sounding board as it were, and she made a truly classic statement that hit me like a ton of bricks…

She Said:

“Don’t you think she wants what is best for the country just like you?”

In an instant my entire attitude changed in regards to the politics of the day because my wife was correct. Correct on so many levels…

While we may differ in what “we” think is best for this country; that is what we all really want; what is best.. All of us…

That kind of makes us on the same team doesn’t it?

Then we had the “Political Bickering” advisory and all of the actions we have seen on the board and to me at least, it is becoming more and more clear that we need to stop fighting each other.

I know it has been said a million times these past few weeks, but folks, it really is about the issues and not the person. That person sitting across from you, posting in favor of their candidate or party; truly wants what is best for this country just like you do and so deserves all the respect you would require for yourself.

So let’s all have some fun and debates the issues until November and treat each other as team mates. With Respect.

Semper

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I'm glad you posted this, Semper! Your wife is a wise woman indeed!

I have been absolutely crushed at the fact that my feelings for some other members, previously considered as cyber-friends, have changed and I know theirs for me have changed as well. And I honestly believe it can be attributed to the previous environment.

It's AMAZING how effective a completely divisive atmosphere can be when we "let down our hair" and stray from civil debate.

Thank you for bringing out this more personal benefit of the new guidelines. And I hope my friends and I can get back to disagreeing with respect and civility.

One more thing to love about ATS!

join