It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sky Disk of Nebra

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Now this is Fascinating stuff!!! And it's 3,600 years old! Now why does that age seem so familiar?

www.eso.org..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

www.sciscoop.com...

In the basement caf� of a tourist hotel in Basel, Switzerland, I tell the smuggler and his accomplice that the exquisite bronze sword he has placed on our table is a worthless forgery. Having handled hundreds of Bronze Age artifacts, I know this sword actually dates to 1600 B.C. But I'm bluffing, for if the smuggler learns its true origin, they'll never part with the real prize: a bronze disk from the same period that is purported to be the earliest known depiction of the cosmos. If authentic, the disk would be one of the most important finds of the early 21st century, and its value would far surpass that of the sword

magma.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
yeah i saw a documentary on this fascinating object and how it marries symbols from otherwise different religions. it's got the crescent moon, the pleiades, and the sun boat... whatever that was. (can you say starship?)

was it phonecian or...? they say that it is proof that there were civilizations as old or older than Egypt in Western Europe, an idea that was commonly scoffed at by the general population (what do they know anyway? oh yeah... only what we tell them)

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Sorry, guys -- we've discussed this one before. It's a fake. The original artist confessed some time ago.

(the fakery is very obvious if you've studied the history of arts -- the symbology is all wrong for the area and the culture. It's as if someone "discovered" a book in Lobjan sitting in your house and then announced that Lobjan was an old family language of yours and that you are descended from the Kings of Lobja. That's how bad the fakery is on the "sun disk".)

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Sorry, guys -- we've discussed this one before. It's a fake. The original artist confessed some time ago.

Are you sure about that Byrd?
The documentary that is being referred to was only shown last month.
They ran the disc through many tests and talked to the scientists who conducted them. One of the tests involved the rusting on the object, which they stated could not have been man-made and helped to date it.

I have to admit that I would be perplexed as to why the BBC would show a documentary when the object had previously been proven a fraud. Especially as over half the programme was about conclusively proving it's authenticity.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
AGH! My bad! You're right... I confused it with ANOTHER faked sky disk.

Oy gevalt! Oh my! Sorry, guys -- good catch! My blunder! Yeah, this is the real one:
magma.nationalgeographic.com...

(whaps self. Sheesh!)

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Heh!!! Damn skydiscs. They all look the same, don't they.

This one is really interesting though. If it is authentic - and there is no reason to doubt otherwise - it would prove that European civilisation was far more advanced than previously thought. We always assume that it was only in the East where there was an understanding of astronomy at that time.
At the very least, the disc would suggest that there was a crossing over of ideas between East and West.
The Sun Boat seems to be the same one as the Egyptians revered and it's also known that Plaeidies played a big part in their belief system.

I have my doubts that it points to European civilisations being more advanced than the Eastern counterparts, though the evidence states that the disc was actually made in the area that it was found and was not acquired from the East. The fact that only one has ever been found, suggests to me, that a traveller saw one, copied the blueprint, and made it when he returned to the West.

JON

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   
it's got the crescent moon, the pleiades, and the sun boat... whatever that was. (can you say starship?)

Could it have been a crude recreation of navigational device from even further in the past. Like a legend handed down through time. Maybe the original was destroyed. Hmmmmm

top topics

join