It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you REALLY listen to the what they are saying?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
When you hear a commercial, do you really hear what they are saying? Or are you hearing what they want you to hear? Words like "may" or "some" are misleading. They don't really say anything. They are words to set you up for the purchase. The one that really got me recently was a McDonalds ad. They only use "freshly cracked eggs" on their McMuffins. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??? That doesn't say that their eggs are fresh, it means that the eggs, whatever their condition, we're cracked recently.

They can't out and out lie. That's a given. Can you see the manipulation though? Saying something that seems quite all right BUT not what they are saying at all.

They spend millions, probably billions, to get you to purchase. Really listen to the advertising. Are you hearing what they are saying? REALLY!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
NO! I don't hear what they're really saying.

Because I don't pay any attention to any of it.

Oh. Except for the ads on ATS. These are very fine products, sold by fine and reputable companies who are concerned only with my best interests.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

As a concerned citizen and father I have become more attuned to the ways corporations market to me and my kids. I have always been skeptical of advertising (I can't explain so I won't try) and frankly I can't stand them, either popping up here on ATS or while they ruin another perfectly good NFL game. Really sad is that the majority not only listen, but many of them actually like commercials - I mean, somewhere tonight someone is watching a re-run of "Worlds Funniest Commercials 5".
Good subject matter.

ColoradoJens

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

No, intrepid, even if you don't listen, they're designed to be persuasive and stick to you noggin, especially with all the catchy jingles.

I believe they design it to entice the subconscious mind and trick the conscious mind. Hence we got the term impulse buy.

Children are the most vulnerable, but then again so does everyone. So unfortunate.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
me and the kids started doing this a while ago....really listening to what they are saying.
Our favourite is the mascara one. It claims to make your lashes UP TO 60% longer ...so there's your first little lie. It could only make them 1% longer and you wouldn't have grounds to say they were wrong.
And then, in tiny wording on the bottom of the screen, it says 2 things:

lash inserts used
and
enhanced in post production

so what they are showing is a lie.
But yeah, it's fun when you start really taking notice of the language they use.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by geek101]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I use freshly cracked eggs and freshly cut bacon strips when I cook breakfast!
Imagine that!

I stopped watching TV so the only ads im exposed to would be on the internet or billboards, maybe a few in the newspaper. While I'm out of the loop from movies and such at least I'm not bombarded as I once used to be. It's very refreshing to eliminate the TV from your life.

I always wondered what these ads were REALLY saying.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
The one that really got me recently was a McDonalds ad. They only use "freshly cracked eggs" on their McMuffins.

The one I heard recently was a McDonald's ad that said "Our Beef Is 100% Pure Beef!". Well, of course, otherwise it wouldn't be beef, and the statement wouldn't be referring to it!

But that's not the question, the question is: what else, other than beef, is in the hamburger patties?

top topics

join