It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the weirdest place you have ever been to?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Area 51 at night during a blizzard ( a blizzard in the desert? didn't expect that). There was actually a film crew there, shooting a doc and the guards keep driving down recklessly the road trying to hit us. Rachael, Nevada and it's inhabitants give off a pretty strange vibe.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by Connector]

[edit on 14-9-2008 by Connector]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

Yeah Portmerion is rather odd. If you saw the series the Prisoner, you would be surprised by how well they have kept that place looking like the series.

The weirdest place I ever went was a monastery in Rome. In it's catacombs the monks have arranged the skeletons into various pieces of art, for lack of a better word. They might take the ribs from 15 skeletons and make a design with them for example. Pretty surreal place and yet kinda pretty and disturbing all at the same time.

Here's a sample, I think this is the same place:

eternallycool.net...

Yes, these are all human bones

[edit on 14-9-2008 by pavil]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
on one hand a cavern on Malta where Paulus used to preach and on the other hand the St Stephan's Cathedral in Vienna, where you can still see all the skeletons of the ppl who died from the Pest....they are stacked in kinda cages under the cathedral...hundreds....

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Ketama, Morroco. "Wild Boar Hunting" .

[edit on 14-9-2008 by Bazarocka]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Lanzarote Island, Spain. Looks like you are on another planet, a barren planet. But, somehow, it feels peaceful, and is very good for resting and hiking.

This year, or next, a plan to visit Iceland, and am thinking of traveling to Prepiat(sp), the town where the Chernobyl reactor is located, and, apparently, still leaking radiation.

Besides that, I am an Urban Hacker, or Urban Infiltrator, so I constantly "visit" abandoned buildings, all over the world (my favorites being, sanitariums, power stations, theme parks, abandoned army installations).

ooopsss...Almost forgot, abandoned cemeteries, churches and morgues...

[edit on 14-9-2008 by NorthWolfe CND]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
wallace,idaho,was passing through on my way to an old friends wedding in helena,montana.no one around,outdated cars in brownstone show windows,dust on the cars.there were huge fields of slagheaps on the way into this place.the only person we met was in a decrepit little corner gas and i mean old school.the gentleman in question was physically disfigured and unkempt,igor was the first thing that sprung into my mind.we quickly used the infernal facility(singular and nasty)and deassed that place as quickly as possible.there was a bypass that soared past and over the corner of town,maybe we missed a new turnoff and took an older road but i was a recce infantryman prior to this and i don't get lost.we came from vancouver ,canada south and then turned west using main routes all the way.i've seen and heard some very odd things in my time but this place was one step beyond.three others were with me,all old friends,the only logical explanation was that it was an old mining town that had gone bust but the lack of anyone and the car showroom were extremely notable.

please forgive my lack of caps,my key is on the fritz.i did check years later on the internet,wallace seemed to be an normal town.which means that perhaps where we were was no longer being incorporated in maps and had become a ghost town,if it was then it was bloody spooky and igor didn't help matters.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
wallace,idaho,was passing through on my way to an old friends wedding in helena,montana.no one around,outdated cars in brownstone show windows,dust on the cars.there were huge fields of slagheaps on the way into this place.the only person we met was in a decrepit little corner gas and i mean old school.the gentleman in question was physically disfigured and unkempt,igor was the first thing that sprung into my mind.we quickly used the infernal facility(singular and nasty)and deassed that place as quickly as possible.there was a bypass that soared past and over the corner of town,maybe we missed a new turnoff and took an older road but i was a recce infantryman prior to this and i don't get lost.we came from vancouver ,canada south and then turned west using main routes all the way.i've seen and heard some very odd things in my time but this place was one step beyond.three others were with me,all old friends,the only logical explanation was that it was an old mining town that had gone bust but the lack of anyone and the car showroom were extremely notable.

please forgive my lack of caps,my key is on the fritz.i did check years later on the internet,wallace seemed to be an normal town.which means that perhaps where we were was no longer being incorporated in maps and had become a ghost town,if it was then it was bloody spooky and igor didn't help matters.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
A place in Bullwell Nottingham, UK.

Went to visit an aunt in my childhood and found a circle of old oaks on a piece of wasteland. They had 100's of mini spindles attached to their trunks in random patterns and everyone was somehow connected with a red, wool type thread. Very Blair witch and ice cold within the circle.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustnoone1987

You must be talking of the insane asylum off Rainbow Road. Are you in illinois? I have been there many times and after it got knocked down, you could still see a certain part of the building at night with a light on. (From a distance though, once u got close enough it would slowly disappear. Then you would begin to question whether what you saw was reality or ilusion.)

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Dont know why my above edit wouldn't take? To Long maybe//??? As you see I tried twice. Anyhow.

Ketama, Morroco. "Wild Boar Hunting" .

It seems odd to many Moroccans that
western tourists often fly great distances
to reach the diminutive town of Ketama,
leaving behind every trace of luxury and the
grand tourist facilities that the country has
become famous for. A bizarre trend has seen
foreigners becoming humble shepherds in
return for the mere chance to unwind and
sample the strong varieties of hashish that
have made the region famous.
There is an entertaining anecdote shared
amongst Ketama’s locals; a fairytale-like
story of a western traveler who once showed
up on a hash farm asking for something
rather out of the ordinary.
The visitor looked somehow different
to the usual tourists who regularly visit the
area to indulge in its local produce. It has
become commonplace for foreigners to arrive
and spend a little time smoking pipes
or hand-rolled joints before resuming our
journey towards Fez, Tetwan or Tangerine.

Yes a different kinda place, BTW I've been here/there over a dozen times in my life.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NorthWolfe CND

"Besides that, I am an Urban Hacker, or Urban Infiltrator, so I constantly "visit" abandoned buildings, all over the world (my favorites being, sanitariums, power stations, theme parks, abandoned army installations).

ooopsss...Almost forgot, abandoned cemeteries, churches and morgues... "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! I thought it was only me that got some morbid thrill wandering around old abandoned buildings and cemeteries. They say that old buildings echo to the noise of their past? Near my home there is a huge old coaching inn which stands alone on a hilltop. The type of building that has secret staircases and doors which open onto corridors which lead to nowhere. I've actually got lost while wandering around in there!
"Now I know I'm not the only one who enjoys this pastime I feel vindicated. "
Cheers.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The old New Mexico state prison.

I was working as an extra in a movie called "Brothers" in the old NMSP and back in the 80's there was a horrible riot where many prisoners were tortured to death or killed in the most horrible ways.

If we weren't on set we were pretty much free to wander around the old prison. There was an aura of horror in the whole facility, but down in the hole where the solitary confinement prisoners were housed there was a feeling of the most incredible sadness that anyone could imagine.

Films are being shot in that facility all the time but I don't think I could work there again no matter how good the money was; Maybe if I was drunk.

www.sgha.net...

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I was born in Colorado Springs :-)

weird bad - a house I used to live in

weird good - Acoma Pueblo

interesting weird in general - 4 Corners area

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

the sand dunes are one of my favorite camping places

I agree - San Luis valley has a surreal feel - but it's beautiful

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I have heard very strange things about the AR area too, but just in the sense that the people there are strange fruit.

WTF...strange fruit?

Good lord get a grip.lol

Arkansas...including Tonitown which is beside Rogers and Bentonville is one of the best places in America....and I have lived in a lot of states and visited almost all of the states at least once...(not Alaska..Prince Rupert was as close as I got..near southern border)

If you want strange try Haiti back in 1990's...a Priest was the President...

Jean-Bertrand Aristide
en.wikipedia.org...

Voodo was the islands main religion.....Haitian Vodou

Haitian creole forms of Vodou exist in Haiti, the Dominican Republic, parts of Cuba, the United States, and other places that Haitian immigrants dispersed to over the years. However, it is important to note that the Vodun religion (separate from Haitian Vodou) existed in the United States, having been brought over by West Africans enslaved in America, specifically from the Ewe

i met some very strange people both in Dominican and in Haiti......the least of who was a rasta looking man who went by the name of Kareen....who wanted to cast a blessing upon me in exchange for one of my watches...I gave him the watch.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

That reminds me of New Orleans. The road to Baton Rouge, the road to Pearl River, and, of course, the hundreds of magnificent cemeteries...

Huge Voudou and Hoodoo culture, in those parts. Similar to Voodoo, but much more "direct"...
On those roads you get the real picture, not the Voodoo for the Tourists...

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

Just remember, safety first. Never do it alone, and watch out for those security guards, that some places have...

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeanne75018

Originally posted by Psychopump

Originally posted by nina.
reply to post by Psychopump

Wow, that is weird...especially when they got a cab to suddenly take you home. Do you know if anyone else saw things like that?

No, unfortunately I have never heard of anyone speak of anything like this.
I was hesitant to speak to people in Holland about this as I was very aware of a chinese organized crime syndicate in the area, and was quite afraid of the repercussions if I were to talk about it.

It's very strange because smoking opium doesn't provoke visions or hallucinations.

Since my experience I have done a little research into the effects of opium, and this is where it gets even a little stranger...

In modern day accounts of opium use, there is only talk of a classic opiate effect, as in severe depressant. When you go back further in time however, say 200 years, the effects are compared more to a state of lucid dreaming and the image of a fantastical and beautiful city are quite abound.

Does anyone here have any such experience?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The hotel in mineral wells. I don't recall it's name but it's a huge hotel in a very small, rural city in Texas. It was famous for its "mineral wells" that supposedly cured cancer, but as soon as the government put a stop to the mineral water scheme the hotel died. fast.

It's huge, elaborately decorated, and completely abandoned, as well as closed to the public. My good friend has a paranormal hunting group he does in his off time and he took me there once. The place seemed like a real life horror film. Totally surreal, totally scary. He's shown me pics he's taken there of ghosts, as well as several EVPs.

Other than that I'd have to say Alaska. I kayaked on the penninsula in the ocean and the untouched beauty of the islands during the summer is staggering. Also, I almost got hit by a startled moose in Wasilla (yes I've been there, no I don't know Sarah Palin), and my brother got a close encounter with a bear while we were four wheeling.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.

Wow! I thought it was only me that got some morbid thrill wandering around old abandoned buildings and cemeteries. They say that old buildings echo to the noise of their past? Near my home there is a huge old coaching inn which stands alone on a hilltop. The type of building that has secret staircases and doors which open onto corridors which lead to nowhere. I've actually got lost while wandering around in there!
"Now I know I'm not the only one who enjoys this pastime I feel vindicated. "
Cheers.

Nope, you're not alone.

I've been 'junking' several times with friends out in the flood plain in abandoned houses. Picked up christmas cards, old wine bottles (jug type with grapes stamped on the sides) and baby food jars from the 40's doing just that. Once came upon an old abandoned house that was wayyyyy creepy. Kids rooms were like they were built on as an afterthought, complete with a dirty, naked, rotting baby doll on the steps up to the kids rooms. There was still clothes hanging (50's style, also rotting) in the closets, and an old, stained mattress in the middle of the room as well, as if squatters had lived there in the interim. Strange feelings there, but interesting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join