It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the weirdest place you have ever been to?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

From another thread, another ossuary church. This one is in the Czech Republic. I have never been there, but i've been in the catacombs of Paris, which is an ossuary too.

It was a very creepy experience indeed, but i have to say i don't think it was just the bones and the skulls, but also my claustrophobia. For the first 10 minutes or so, while descending through a narrow tunnel into the catacombs, i was panicking so bad i couldn't breathe. And there were no bones there yet to be seen

But i know very well that feeling that a lot of you talk about, where you are in a place with a dark history and you can "feel" the death and hopelessness and it really gets to you... Happened a few times to me too, the worst was in an memorial museum in northern Romania.

It used to be a communist prison for political dissidents. While visiting that place, i turned in a few minutes from a cheerful student on a college trip into a sobbing, hopeless wreck. It was such a strong feeling, as if all the despair of people who suffered and died there was still around, and i could pick some of it up. After that experience i refused to visit nazi labour camps, although i had the chance a few times.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The weirdest place I've been to is Portmeirion in Wales. You may not recognise the name immediately until I mention that this is the infamous village in the TV series, The Prisoner.
All the buildings are painted in a variety of colours and look massive until you get up close and realise they are little more than a single small room.
What makes it even more bizarre is the amount of foreign tourists wandering about the place in black blazers with white piping around the collar. Some even watched episodes on portable DVD players and were following the route taken by Patrick McGoohan around the village.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Pine Grove, Pennsylvania.

But on a more serious note...the weirdest place I've been to is the house we lived in for about five to six years since I was in about the third grade. When we first moved in, there was no kind of eerie feeling or anything, but over the years truly strange things would happen and we didn't even think much of them until we moved out and felt the difference.

The house had two bathrooms: one on the ground floor and one on the floor above it. Now, the one on the top floor was just a normal bathroom, nothing weird about it, and so was the other bathroom...only the one on the ground floor really creeped me and my brother out for some reason. We just hated having to go into that bathroom and were both terrified to look into the mirrors there. I really couldn't explain at the time why this was happening to the us, but it didn't affect my parents for some reason.

Next off would be hearing our names being called every so often. Whenever it was moderately quiet, sometimes I would hear my name being shouted out by what I thought was my parents (it was difficult to hear because the voice wasn't very pronounced), but each time I would answer they would tell me that they didn't say anything. Eventually I just stopped responding, but it would still occur. This happened to everyone in the house at some point, but no one paid any attention to the phenomena.

My brother told me years ago that things used to fall down in his room even though they were absolutely secure. Apparently he was terrified and never got up out of his bed to leave the room because of this, and he was also plagued by nightmares sometimes (I never had a nightmare in my life, though). He also claimed to see things out of the corners of his eyes (this happened to me as well, but not nearly as often) and felt really uncomfortable in the house. The both of us felt that something was just "off", but we couldn't quite place exactly what it was.

On the day we actually moved, it was like every strange thing that happened before suddenly started occuring rapidly within the hour of the move itself. The chandelier light even fell down seconds after my mom tightly screwed it in (I saw her tightening each screw...there was no way that thing should have fallen) and glass shot out all over the place. Thank None of us were hurt anything (and our animals were safe as well), but it was creepy as hell.
My mom, to this day, calls it "the day of hell" or "that [fill in your choice of swear word here] cursed day" or some variation of those names and she can't even think about the house now without getting really creeped out.

Of course, after we moved away years later and found out from our parents that the old woman who lived there before actually died in that specific bathroom, apparently hated visitors, and never wanted the house to go to anyone else, my brother and I both decided then that must have had something to do with it.
After we moved into our new house, all of us felt the difference right away. Nothing felt "off", the bathroom is fine, nobody is hearing or seeing things...it's peaceful.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Probably not what you are looking for, but...

The strangest place I have ever been was a chinese opium den in Amsterdam.
I ended up there after meeting some chinese party go-ers in a club in Amsterdam after losing my group of fellow party go-ers.

After the club closed they took me to the back door of a very well known chinese restaurant and down some stairs. We passed a heavy leather curtain into an area filled with opium smoke.

There were sunken 60´s style seating areas, each with a hookah in the center. We all occupied the only free sunken area and proceded to partake off the pipe. Soon afterwards (I assume because of the drugs) the windowless room was transformed to another with panoramic windows framing a beautiful city resembling descriptions of ancient babylon. There were people flying around the buildings and the most beautiful birds I had ever "seen".

I stopped to look around the room, and one of the chinese guys put his hand on my shoulder and told me to keep looking out of the window (indicating that he too could see the non-existant window). After a few minutes of marvelling at the sight, I snuk a peek around me (this was LONG before I ever heard of David Icke), and all the other clients, except my group, had turned into lizards. They behaved normally, they were also looking out of the window and smoking their hookahs, and drinking their brandies. But they were lizards.

I turned to the same guy who had told me to look out of the window and asked him "Is this normal?" pointing at the next seating area. He immediately went to another man near the bar, they came back, lifted me by the shoulders and led me to the door. There they hailed a cab and paid the driver to take me home.

The next day I could hardly remember anything and it took weeks for it all to seep back into my mind.

about a month later I went to the same restaurant and walked to the rear. Where there had previously been a door, there was now a bricked up doorway. The weird thing was that it was quite obvious that the door had been bricked up for a long time. There was graffiti running over it from the wall and old water staining on the bricks etc.

I´m still not sure how much of what I remember is real.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Psychopump

Wow, that is weird...especially when they got a cab to suddenly take you home. Do you know if anyone else saw things like that?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by nina.

Wow, that is weird...especially when they got a cab to suddenly take you home. Do you know if anyone else saw things like that?

No, unfortunately I have never heard of anyone speak of anything like this.
I was hesitant to speak to people in Holland about this as I was very aware of a chinese organized crime syndicate in the area, and was quite afraid of the repercussions if I were to talk about it.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psychopump

I was hesitant to speak to people in Holland about this as I was very aware of a chinese organized crime syndicate in the area, and was quite afraid of the repercussions if I were to talk about it.

Ah, that's too bad that you never got to speak to anyone there about it. If I had been in your position, I wouldn't have either though.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Now I don't mean weird like, "Wow, the people in Austin are insane" kind of weird, where you just have a lot of people following a subculture or different lifestyle...

I mean the kind of weird where the place just felt different, for better or for worse.

Maybe it was just a feeling, maybe something paranormal actually happened there.

My nomination is the Colorado Springs area

Hey I'm from Austin and this place is definitely weird. _javascript:icon('
')

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by gluetrap
south central Oklahoma, particularly the Chickisaw national recreation area, it is the most spiritually and cryptozoologicaly active place I have ever been.

I live very close to there, have nver been to the Chickisaw nation (would like to, maybe some day) but the land is incredible alive.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

I will concur with you on the existance of "drug spirits"

I wish someone would look into that more scientifically, but I've seen it exist, and also "haunt" areas as well.

Sometimes I can go into a house, a park, or, more often, an empty patch of land (especially with abandoned houses) and I just know that they are there.

I can never stand to do drugs myself, even to get drunk, because they make me completely paranoid, but in a more spirituall-away kind of way.

I think most of the drugs create "spirits" that are simply the manifestation of whatever strong emotions and intent are inside of the user, and unfortunately, these are almost never good among drug users, since it was pain that drove them to use in the first place, anyway.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by atzmaz

Originally posted by asmeone2
Now I don't mean weird like, "Wow, the people in Austin are insane" kind of weird, where you just have a lot of people following a subculture or different lifestyle...

I mean the kind of weird where the place just felt different, for better or for worse.

Maybe it was just a feeling, maybe something paranormal actually happened there.

My nomination is the Colorado Springs area

Hey I'm from Austin and this place is definitely weird. _javascript:icon('
')

Hey, let's keep it that way

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Amen to keeping Austin weird.
I use to hang on the drag back
in the hippie days. A beautiful
strange paradise of music
art and the most beautiful
women in the world.

Check us out sometime at the Continental "SoCo"

"West Ella" we get weird

[edit on 14-9-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Saudi Arabia. When the sun went down there and the women were walking around shopping it was a sea of bobbing black gowns and headscarves. I felt like I was on a different planet. Coupled with the religous police walking around clubbing some of them for what I saw as no reason...It is a very weird place.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by chickenshoes
reply to post by asmeone2

Yeah, it was pretty terrifying. My dad went outside and never saw a thing. I just sat on the couch with my mom, holding a bible and a fork

The Ozarks, if I'm thinking correctly, is a fairly young mountain chain. Newbie energy

I do think the earth's energy, concentrated, can mess with your brain. There's tons of fundies in the 4 corners area. (thinking flds)

I would die if I were to experience such a thing! I remember hearing strange noises in my room when I was young: I was terrified... but it was just a little mouse in my wall cupboard.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The weirdest place? Pffffffff ......... didn't went there yet.

There is not much that I call weird

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychopump

It's very strange because smoking opium doesn't provoke visions or hallucinations.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Has to be India for me.

Absolutely contrast between everything. Absolutely beautiful place, but sadly juxtaposed with the destitute and poor, staring at you with eyes begging for food for the family...

It seriously changed me as a person for many reasons, i nearly killed myself on a scooter, spent two months limping with a damaged hip and ankles. Turned my world around.

Some places were stranger than others, for many reasons, the sense of isolation, the strange weather effects in the himalaya's (pink lightning!), the temples carved from marble, the shrines in remote places (on cliffs and beaches and in the jungle), the vast ruins of hampi (and the strange way large boulders are seemingly propped on smaller ones), the strange transition between day and night and the sudden sinking of the summer sun on the beaches.

The single most wonderfully strange event for me was the warning from a sadhu we met on a beach in Gokarna, basically warning me about the dangers of westerners trusting people, con men etc. He certainly wasn't trying to scare us, definately came as a warning, but he was a very nice man.

And sure enough... only hours later, we later came to the realisation that we were trapped in a different man's home in the middle of nowhere and he had intoxicated us with some smoke (quite possibly my fault, as i didn't know quite how strong it would be)... We had met him earlier in his book shop / jewel shop and he seemed quite pleasant, quite intelligent and was quite aware of the quirks of the english language with good humour and attitude.
So naively, we took his invite for an evening meal and went to his home... But then he started flirting with my fiance, making very crude remarks etc. Really freaking us out.

Don't forget i was in agony with my hip and was in no real position to fight anyone, so that added to the paranoia, and we kept trying to make excuses to leave and he would keep trying to distract me, trying to get me to go into another room and leave him alone with my fiance.

Very freaky, we eventually got out of there at about 2am, he then gave us fake directions back to our guesthouse, but strangely i knew he was lying. So i followed my insinct and eventually found our way back through the alley waysback to the main street.

But as luck would have it, me and my missus were still a little shell shocked from our freaky experience with the guy, we had let our guards down as we were walking back to our room. A few minutes passed until we finally realised that the barking and the growling behind us was actually a pack of hungry, mistreated and quite possibly rabid street dogs.

Usually passive in the baking indian sun of the day time, but fearless and nasty after dark. Alone on a dark road, with every building looking closed and empty, no lights.... being followed by dogs.

So thinking fast i looked for a stick, a bit of wood, a stone or anything, but i guess i was on the only road in India without a rock or twig.
Nothing...

We shuffled onwards as the dogs got closer, on our heels and at our sides and staring at us nastily, I actually thought we were going to get killed by these buggers, but lady luck must have been shining on me, as suddenly white light surrounded us.....

Nope, wasn't a ufo or anything angelic.... but it did prove to be our saviour, a hotel porter had spotted our plight, and switched on the outside flood lights and threw a heavy wooden chair into the pack, causing them to scatter in confusion.

I have never, ever wanted to cry so much, to him i must have looked a mess, a tall, skinny pale man, limping along with his equally confused girlfriend and behind us seven or eight dogs slavering at our tasty, white flesh.

But such is life.

Strange thing is, I really want to go back when i finish my studies. It's an amazing country and harbours many fine fruits of knowledge, culture, art and music.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
the weirdest place i've ever been to was the burningman event in nevada.
you see and hear some of the strangest things you will ever find on mother earth.

here's a bike that made an eerie sound when ridden.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

I have never been myself, but man, I have seen some strange pictures come out of BM!

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
A Abandoned insane asylum where I spent a day and a night due to work.

But honestly, the weirdest thing was that I would have never imagined being locked in and wandering around a dark asylum that's been empty for 20 years at 4AM with couple of crappy flashlights.

As weird as it still sounds it didn't feel weird. For most of the time it was just an empty building. However two things were rather freaky. The first one being a room that had a puddle of fresh blood (or as it seemed) in the middle of the floor. Yet we knew nobody had been in there for months. Turns out fake blood can stay looking fresh for a long time.

The second weird thing is one hallway in the basement of the building. There's nothing special about it, just a windowless hall with doors leading to small rooms on the other side. But as safe and normal as most of the place felt every time I went into that hallway I was freaked. I would walk it to the other end and get back and there would be nothing there - but I'd still feel I have to turn around every other step just to be sure. Don't know if it was just the layout triggering some primal instinct or what, but that hall is propably the scariest place I've been in my adult life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join