It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the weirdest place you have ever been to?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Yeah, it was pretty terrifying. My dad went outside and never saw a thing. I just sat on the couch with my mom, holding a bible and a fork

The Ozarks, if I'm thinking correctly, is a fairly young mountain chain. Newbie energy

I do think the earth's energy, concentrated, can mess with your brain. There's tons of fundies in the 4 corners area. (thinking flds)

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
High Shoals. You get an eerie feeling there, and then you see the 'gold' in the water, it's really fools gold or mica, but the waterfalls sparkle like crazy with it. To get to the waterfalls you have to walk through a graveyard that is ancient! Very few graves are even from the 1900's, one coffin sticks out of the dirt as the hill it sits on has eroded around the casket, exposing a portion of it. The place is rumored to have been a sacred Indian ceremonial site, I am not surprised, the falls are breathtaking when you walk up on them, and see the 'gold' sparkling in the sunlight, every rock around the water is shining with mica. A small cave opening lends some mystery as well, it is said the cave goes all the way through the mountian and comes out in the next city.

But the feeling you get when walking down to it is not good, I always feel like I am trespassing, like someone doesn't want us there, but once you get past the graveyard that feeling dissappears.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
In 1975 I was in Paris, France, walking around in Montmartre. A couple of Vincent Van Gogh's paintings are set there. That's where the Moulin Rouge is. It's a kind of tourist area but also somewhat sleazy with brothels and streetwalkers, etc.

I'm not sure which street I was walking down, (maybe Blvd. Clichy) but as I walked along I came to the entry of one of the side streets and it was absolutely jammed with people almost shoulder to shoulder for about a hundred yards or so. There was a car coming down the street at a snail's pace trying to inch it's way through the crowd.

I was surprised and curious at what I was witnessing. Looking more closely, I realized that the people were all Arabs and that they were gambling. They had boxes of some kind set up in the street and were milling around gambling games in progress at the boxes. I think they were dice games of some sort. The effect of suddenly coming upon this scene was bizarre.

It was as if I had turned a corner in Paris and stepped into Djibouti.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by chickenshoes
reply to post by asmeone2

Yeah, it was pretty terrifying. My dad went outside and never saw a thing. I just sat on the couch with my mom, holding a bible and a fork

The Ozarks, if I'm thinking correctly, is a fairly young mountain chain. Newbie energy

I do think the earth's energy, concentrated, can mess with your brain. There's tons of fundies in the 4 corners area. (thinking flds)

If it weren't for the knocking, I would have said bears on the roof, they used to walk over my and my neighbor's house.

I was thinking of the way that most religions feature some king of holy-mountain story when I read your posts.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
High Shoals. You get an eerie feeling there, and then you see the 'gold' in the water, it's really fools gold or mica, but the waterfalls sparkle like crazy with it. To get to the waterfalls you have to walk through a graveyard that is ancient! Very few graves are even from the 1900's, one coffin sticks out of the dirt as the hill it sits on has eroded around the casket, exposing a portion of it. The place is rumored to have been a sacred Indian ceremonial site, I am not surprised, the falls are breathtaking when you walk up on them, and see the 'gold' sparkling in the sunlight, every rock around the water is shining with mica. A small cave opening lends some mystery as well, it is said the cave goes all the way through the mountian and comes out in the next city.

But the feeling you get when walking down to it is not good, I always feel like I am trespassing, like someone doesn't want us there, but once you get past the graveyard that feeling dissappears.

I know some places around my town that are indian burial sites. They are very powerful placs, for sure.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
It was as if I had turned a corner in Paris and stepped into Djibouti.

ya, welcome to Montmartre. Depending on the time of day and season, it will be any of a great number of nationalities that are preying on tourists. Not really weird though, just an aggressive (peddlers) atmosphere.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

The house I moved from one year ago had a spot in it like you are describing in your garage, in this house it was the basement. I was terrified of it, I had to do laundry in that basement and just cringed each time I went down, I would only go in the daylight, I was down there at night once and the power turned off, I scraped all the skin off my shins trying to crawl up the stairs in the pitch black! I felt sure the entire time I lived there that someone had been buried in the basement, and that the person buried there had lived in one of the upstairs rooms, becuase it also had that sad eerie and scary feeling to it, but the rest of the house was fine! Lots of other things went on there though, broken mirrors, broken glass and candle holders all the time!

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
San Luis valley in southern Colorado.

High strangeness that defies description. UFOs, paranormal, cattle mutalations, cults, black ops all rolled into one.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

The house I moved from one year ago had a spot in it like you are describing in your garage, in this house it was the basement. I was terrified of it, I had to do laundry in that basement and just cringed each time I went down, I would only go in the daylight, I was down there at night once and the power turned off, I scraped all the skin off my shins trying to crawl up the stairs in the pitch black! I felt sure the entire time I lived there that someone had been buried in the basement, and that the person buried there had lived in one of the upstairs rooms, becuase it also had that sad eerie and scary feeling to it, but the rest of the house was fine! Lots of other things went on there though, broken mirrors, broken glass and candle holders all the time!

Yeah, out of ten people I tell my story to there is always one person who has experienced something similar. They either lived in a similar house or just visited once with the same eerie presence lingering in the air that stated something was there beyond the physical realm. All the other people feeling it made me certain I was not crazy but it is still nice to hear similar stories from people out side of my experience. Yours sounds very creepy indeed; I wouldn’t have entered the basement at night either!

[edit on 14-9-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
San Luis valley in southern Colorado.

High strangeness that defies description. UFOs, paranormal, cattle mutalations, cults, black ops all rolled into one.

I'm telling you people, there is something skewered abotu the whole danged state.

On a related not, One of the strangest things I recall in a non-paranormal way was driving through Raton Pass and north-west New Mexico at night. The speed limit there was about 80, there were no road lights, and I did not see anyone else for hundreds of miles. I completely lost the feeling that I was moving.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

If it weren't for the knocking, I would have said bears on the roof, they used to walk over my and my neighbor's house.

I was thinking of the way that most religions feature some king of holy-mountain story when I read your posts.

Yeah, over the years, bears came to mind, minus the knocking.

We had sighted one or two in about 20 years time, not common at all, and never near the house. But, we were out in BFE.

As for mountains, the paranormal abounds.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Being in Paris was part of a longer trip around France, mostly hitch-hiking. Many unusual things happened along the road. You meet a lot of unusual people. Sometimes the eerie feeling gets quite intense. Sometimes you feel that you are only a moment of madness away from being murdered.

At the time a story I heard on the road was of two tourists hitch-hiking who had been chopped to pieces in the woods along the way. I have been close to people where I thought that rape or murder was in the air. I'm sure I was lucky at times.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by ipsedixit]

[edit on 14-9-2008 by ipsedixit]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Check out this link, it is some of the eerie places around my city, the 7 bridges road is a rite of passage around here, and everyone has their own story to tell of what happened to them while they were there, my story is that a group of us went down the road to the church, counting the bridges, and there were 7. The church was locked up tight, so we wandered around the graveyard looking for the 'witches' grave. We found one with a glass top on it, you could look in and see a skeleton inside a casket, the upper part of the casket didn't have a lid on it. No marker on the grave at all, we had to wonder if this was it! Then we heard a loud slam, ran down the hill to the church, and the doors of the church were wide open! We went in and found that every choir book was open to the same page, and there were black candles and a pentagram drawn on the floor. We ran out, but as we did, the old piano started playing, not a song, more like somebody was just banging the keys!
edit to add info: BTW we counted bridges coming back out, there were 6.
Anyway, check this out: www.highlands.edu...

[edit on 14-9-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
south central Oklahoma, particularly the Chickisaw national recreation area, it is the most spiritually and cryptozoologicaly active place I have ever been.

The magic kingdom was a bizarre experience too but for vastly different reasons.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I LOVE an eerie location. The desert out here in So Cal offers no shortage thereof.

There's this old house out in the sticks around here. We're talking about the product of an ill concieved "buy a desert lot in unincorporated land and hire an unlicensed contractor to build it" idea that somebody had early last century. And this is on the outskirts of a little desert rats nest outside of Palm Springs that Al Capone pretty much built (and which in his absense has become the methamphedamine capital of the known universe).

Apparently this house was briefly left empty between the owner dying and property taxes eventually causing it to be siezed, and in that time, tweakers started squating there.

Tweakers are like rats. Not only do they scurry and carry disease- they horde junk. They filled this rat shack with stolen or good-will bought home appliances- toasters, tvs, microwaves, stereo speakers in awesome quantity but not stereos. This stuff, along with plenty of filthy blankets and random junk, is pretty much just piled in front of and behind and to the sides of the couch, occupying most of the livingroom.

That's the place where I learned about the drug spirits. I don't do drugs, but even I could sense it- it was definitely a real phenomenon and not just a paranoia that the users get. I was introduced to this place when I was helping my brother wrap up some loose ends when he was just beginning his drug recovery.

I told him how creepy this place was, and he proceeds to explain that from a sober perspective, the stuff that takes place in these tweaker pads is a very painful kind of insanity, and at times flat out evil, and that stuff stays there and haunts the place for a long time afterwards.

Now in retrospect, I was in a home uninvited, surrounded by other people's stuff, probably stolen, and afraid that my brother's former friends or worse yet, someone he didn't know might show up- I had plenty of reasons to be creeped the heck out- and maybe that explains 90% of what I felt, but there was something extra compared to being scared in some more normal place. In so many words, creepy trashed abandoned house in the middle of the desert.

Also, there a bit West of there, there's a former airforce base (now a small city airport, though I think a few of the buildings still house an airforce reserve unit). There's a ton of abanoned onbase housing that neighbors nothing other than the runways and a not-so-heavily travelled road. At night, you feel colder once you're inside that chainlink. Having houses around, where you naturally expect there to be people, and seeing there are no doors or windows intact- you're constantly expecting to see or hear someone from one of those houses.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Vagabond, could you please explain more about "drug spirits"? I'd like to understand what you're talking about.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of strange places I've been to, but, unfortunately, nothing really jumps out at me.

There's a windowed crypt in a remote area of Rotorua (a small city a couple hours' drive south from Auckland) that I took a camera to one evening, hoping that when I developed the film I'd see something interesting (no such luck)...as I recall, one can see coffins inside the crypt. Naturally, as the sun was setting I got creeped out and couldn't get back through the woods fast enough (being alone didn't help).

I wish I could come up with something more interesting than that!

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Drug spirits is something that meth users claim to experience. Basically the idea is that people spend a lot of time somewhere, in a somewhat insane state of mind, often unhappy and or doing or seeing others do or being told about something that is freakin evil.

So the bad people and bad things which drugs bring to a place create a lasting impression on the place- in theory.

The wierd thing about it was that the place really did have a nasty vibe to it, even for me, and I didn't have any kind of chemically induced paranoia to account for the feeling.

You'd really have to see the place to get it. The floor is just cluttered with stuff that's been taken apart for "repairs" or canabalized for parts, or cleverly modified into drug paraphenalia, weaponry, or sado-sexually suggestive outsider art (ie: barbies in perfectly tied hangman's nooses with various kinds of junk added on as crude torture instruments). Everything there is a reminder that senselessly destructive wierdos have been living there.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I almost forgot about this one: I was running a tax service for my nephew, he had opened 3 new locations to serve the area and asked me to manage one of them. It was in an old part of town, and an old building, we painted and carpeted and opened the doors to the neighborhood as a tax service and also a bill payment location. So me and the marketing director kept hearing strange sounds, and there was an attic fan in the second room of the building, it would come on by itself. Sarah, the marketing director, wanted us to try to record an EVP, using the computer we asked questions like 'who are you' and 'why are you here'. Afterwards we got busy and forgot about the sound bites until the next day. We went in and she played the sound bites, we heard loud knocking sounds, and what sounded like a lady crying and screaming. I asked my nephew if he knew anything about the building and he didn't, but when asking some of the customer's about it, they told us that the building used to be a restraunt and the workers from the nearby mill ate there every day. The owner and his wife lived in the downstairs apartment ( that had been closed/locked up tight when we rented the building), one night while her husband had gone to help their son with an auto problem the lady awoke in a gas filled apartment, and somehow a fire was started and she was killed.

We told my nephew about it, and that we had done these 'evp' recordings, he asked us how we recorded it, when we told him we used the computer he asked to hear it, because there were no microphones on the computers he had placed on the job. Yet it did record these sounds. Que the Twilght Zone theme song............

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
One of the weirdest places I have ever been to is the Chapel Of Bones in Portugal. Apparently it was built by a 16th century monk, and its basically a small chapel thats walls are lined with human skulls and bones.

When I visited the place there wasn't anyone else inside, no one really around the place outside, no method of securing the chapel i.e. no locks or bolted doors and one flickering candle on a slab of stone inside.

I swear down when you entered the place you could "feel" something wasn't right, almost as if you could feel the presence of the dead people within.

Really strange place to be, anyways check the link:

goeurope.about.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
When i think of weird places i've been to, the Freetown Christiania comes to mind. Nothing paranormal there, but certainly a unique experience!

Christiania is a self-governing "town" in Copenhagen, Denmark. It has been squatted by hippies and all sorts of "weirdos" since 1970. It doesn't recognize the authority of the danish government or that of the EU. They even have their own schools and their own flag. Although tourists are very common, it's kind of a closed community, new squatters are not welcome, and those visiting have to obey the rules (for instance, you are not allowed to take photos inside the freetown. Also there are no cars in Christiania, and have never been).

The place has an interesting and agitated history (click on the english flag), and the few evenings that i spend there were almost surreal. Of course, it's not for everybody to like, you have to be into that whole "alternative scene", certainly not a place to take your kids to!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join