It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the weirdest place you have ever been to?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Now I don't mean weird like, "Wow, the people in Austin are insane" kind of weird, where you just have a lot of people following a subculture or different lifestyle...

I mean the kind of weird where the place just felt different, for better or for worse.

Maybe it was just a feeling, maybe something paranormal actually happened there.

My nomination is the Colorado Springs area

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
A WWII concentration camp just south of Frankfurt. I was on a fun and exiting exchange program when I read the words " Arbeit macht Frei " (spelling probably wrong) in huge iron gates. After seeing the conditions in which these poor souls died and the medical experimentation OR....The feeling I had was "weird". You could taste, feel , hear, smell pain and evil. I don't know what I think about ghosts, but there was a presence. It felt like there was a hand around my heart ready to rip it out or pull me down to hell.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Somewhere between Moscow (Russia) and Tolyatti (Russia) in '93....stopped along the side of a road literally in the middle of nowhere seeing in the near distance a big smoke stack spewing out GREEN smoke (or whatever it was...it was green tinted)....and everyone I was with standing around watching it talking about Chernobyl.

Very eerie.

Then....visiting a Russian orphanage (same year) and seeing the absolute horrifying state of the children there. I have haunting memories to this day

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The weirdest place hands down would have to be an abandoned Insane Asylum about 45 minutes from my house. I don't know how long it had been abandoned for, but I can for sure say there was some CRAZY stuff going on there. Unfortunately, last time I went it had been torn down

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hannamtong
A WWII concentration camp just south of Frankfurt. I was on a fun and exiting exchange program when I read the words " Arbeit macht Frei " (spelling probably wrong) in huge iron gates. After seeing the conditions in which these poor souls died and the medical experimentation OR....The feeling I had was "weird". You could taste, feel , hear, smell pain and evil. I don't know what I think about ghosts, but there was a presence. It felt like there was a hand around my heart ready to rip it out or pull me down to hell.

I don't know about ghosts in the form of left-behind spirits, but I beleive that the earth can "record" very strong emotions, particularly negative ones.

I've visited some battle sites that have this same feeling, though I imagine to a much less degree.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Somewhere between Moscow (Russia) and Tolyatti (Russia) in '93....stopped along the side of a road literally in the middle of nowhere seeing in the near distance a big smoke stack spewing out GREEN smoke (or whatever it was...it was green tinted)....and everyone I was with standing around watching it talking about Chernobyl.

Very eerie.

Then....visiting a Russian orphanage (same year) and seeing the absolute horrifying state of the children there. I have haunting memories to this day

I have seen pictures of those children, I can't imagine how emotional it would have been to see them in person.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It's a toss up between my brother's wedding, and Russia...

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

The weirdest place I’ve been was the garage of a house I lived in as a child. Everyone who stepped in that garage, particularly in a certain place, felt a rush of sadness and was a bit “off” afterwards. We got use to after several months, eventually we did not fear it, we were even drawn to the garage and area I speak of, but people who came and went that were not there routinely still felt the eeriness. Soon in the same home I developed a fear of the bath tub I took baths and showers in. Soon I feared water entirely out of nowhere and I began having nightmares of a woman drowning. I’ve always thought over the top stories of haunting were unbelievable, but my simplistic one has drawn me to even the most outrages claims. Personally I’ve always believed the house was haunted by a spirit, perhaps the woman who drowned in my nightmares. Maybe she died accidentally in the house; maybe someone killed her and put her underneath the garage and covered her with a slab of cement. I’ve gone over a million scenarios, and while I honestly no longer find the incident creepy the area its self and how it made people react was definitely weird.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
reply to post by asmeone2

The weirdest place I’ve been was the garage of a house I lived in as a child. Everyone who stepped in that garage, particularly in a certain place, felt a rush of sadness and was a bit “off” afterwards. We got use to after several months, eventually we did not fear it, we were even drawn to the garage and area I speak of, but people who came and went that were not their routinely still felt the eeriness. Soon in the same home I developed a fear of the bath tub I took baths and showers in. Soon I feared water entirely out of nowhere and I began having nightmares of a woman drowning. I’ve always thought over the top stories of haunting were unbelievable, but my simplistic one has drawn me to even the most outrages claims. Personally I’ve always believed the house was haunted by a spirit, perhaps the woman who drowned in my nightmares. Maybe she died accidentally in the house; maybe someone killed her and put her underneath the garage and covered her with a slab of cement. I’ve gone over a million scenarios, and while I honestly no longer find the incident creepy the area its self and how it made people react was definitely weird.

Very interesting. One of my friend's grandmother lives in a house like that. I don't rule out the possibility of a haunting of some king, either.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Strangest place I've ever been: Haunted Train Tracks in San Antonio, TX:

paranormal.about.com...

lots of people will drive there in the middle of the night, and put baby powder all over their car - the claim is that you can see handprints of kids hands on the back of your car, after it gets "pushed" over the tracks, despite being on level ground. The story goes that a school bus full of kids stalled out on the tracks, and a train came by and killed 10 kids on the bus. ALL of the street names are like "Johnny St," "Amanda Blvd," etc. It's also very near to an abandoned shack that's very old, and down the street are aquaducts, which are also extremely creepy. That whole part of town gives off a very eerie feeling. I do not believe in ghosts, but the feelings I got there were indescribable.

Along with all those places I mentioned, it was also close to the "Midget Mansion" which I believe is gone now, but was just as creepy:

It is said that long ago in the early 1900's a family of midgets / small people lived in a mansion. The owner a midget himself was a very wealthy business owner in downtown San Antonio Texas. He had a wife, who was also a midget and 2 children...one male and one female. The children themselves were not small, but regualar sized people.

As the story goes. The husband arrived at the home and simply murdered his wife, and two children with a shot gun. Then hung himself in a bedroom closet.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by scientist]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass

Wow, that must have been some wedding!

BTW, I went to the same college as Norah Jones!

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

I lived in a "haunted" house once, where dusty child-sized handprints would appear all over the walls.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Living in SW Ohio in th Miami Valley area, it is kina hard to top just the general area so specific places/areas elsewhere:

Point Pleasent area where the mothman was sighted and I have been over the new bridge. Just being in the area an talking with people in casual unrelated conversations, you can understand why so many saw it an why it would be attracted to such a place.

Backwoods between AR and MO, between Tontitown, AR and Joplin, MO. There is a forum member that had a bigfoot sighting relatively close to this area. While not the Ozarks proper, these are some deep woods. At night with a little fog, pretty spooky.

The Painted Desert, while not paranormal weird, seeing snow in the desert just struck me as somewhat messed up. Being able to see 80 miles in any direction was interesting for a guy that grew up in the backhills of Ohio.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

She is incredible. Did you know her? She is so cool.

yeah, that wedding has scarred me for life.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Backwoods between AR and MO, between Tontitown, AR and Joplin, MO. There is a forum member that had a bigfoot sighting relatively close to this area. While not the Ozarks proper, these are some deep woods. At night with a little fog, pretty spooky.

The Painted Desert, while not paranormal weird, seeing snow in the desert just struck me as somewhat messed up. Being able to see 80 miles in any direction was interesting for a guy that grew up in the backhills of Ohio.

I have heard very strange things about the AR area too, but just in the sense that the people there are strange fruit.

I just find forests and trees in general make me nervous--I'm the opposite, I grew up with endless vistas, so mountains and trees make me feel claustrophobic.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   

She is incredible. Did you know her? She is so cool.

yeah, that wedding has scarred me for life.

No, she went there a few years before I even enrolled; Don Henley also studied there way back in the day.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I have heard very strange things about the AR area too, but just in the sense that the people there are strange fruit.

I just find forests and trees in general make me nervous--I'm the opposite, I grew up with endless vistas, so mountains and trees make me feel claustrophobic.
oh boy you wouldn't like it here in Oregon then. It's easy to get lost here in the woods.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

I think I prefer the plains, or the desert

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar

You know, I'm from the Ozarks, and I have to tell you, they are a weird place to be.

My own back yard had some odd things;

We had a crop circle in our garden one summer.

We had a strange night in which something heavy sounding was walking on our roof, then knocking on the windows, and then sounded to be dragging something heavy around the perimeter of the house.

I saw a UFO there when I was about 14 or 15.

Plus way more......................

Definitely a strange energy there.
Everyone seems to be either a fundamentalist Christian or a Satan worshiper.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   

You know, I'm from the Ozarks, and I have to tell you, they are a weird place to be...

We had a strange night in which something heavy sounding was walking on our roof, then knocking on the windows, and then sounded to be dragging something heavy around the perimeter of the house...

Definitely a strange energy there.
Everyone seems to be either a fundamentalist Christian or a Satan worshiper.

Dear God, that first one sounds terrifying.

I wonder if there is just something about mountains in general that messes with the heads?

In CO I noticed that everyone seemed to be way, way, to one side of the spectrum or the other, both with religion and that the good were really good and the bad were absolutely terrible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join