It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is a big brother society possible in today's world?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
In the book 1984 many of the ideas from the book are present in many governments throughout today. Is it possible that such a distopian world could exist under the present conditions that we have for our current society here in the USA and in other nations throughout the world? It has occurred to me that a Big Brother society is possible in the United States, Great Britain, France, Russia, and many of the other Democracies that exist today. We might see Democracies turn into fascist dictatorships like we've witnessed in the past. It depends on the will of the human spirit and the will of the people in charge. Democratic societies need to keep their checks and balances to make sure that fascist dictators don't rise to power. I still see ideals coming from 1984 in many parts of our present society. I just think that if we continue on our current path that we might become a society similar to the one George Orwell predicted.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Hmmm... Totally agreed. We are a 1984 right now. Currently, I am writing a thesis on the similarity between George Orwell's 1984 and our present society, so once I get it finished in a couple weeks or so I shall get it posted! People will be shocked.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
One would think that with the Net, access to information that is unprecidented, that it would be hard to develope such a state. The thing is that the PTB have the gold, you know the Golden Rule and they hire the best. Programmers, propagandists, psychologists, etc. They are using the same tools as society and they are using our base fears against us. That's a HIGHLY motivating drive in humans. Self preservation and they use it against us. It's working.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Well, it's hard to determine. Some think we're already there. Me included. Distopian is exactly what we have, in my opinion. I doubt it will ever be as obviously blatant as in Orwell's novel... which I never got around to finishing because this person I know took my copy...grrr. What I'm saying is that if Fascism gets too obvious, like it has in the past, the people will just rebel. In Orwell's novel, it was too obvious... even if we were to be microchipped and beamed with signals to make us behave in certain controlled ways... there's always the human spirit to deal with. The human spirit is what pushes us to be creative and overcome obstacles. It always has, always will.

I see Corporate Fascism as already full blown for quite some time now. The third world sis fighting a desperate and losing battle against it, because their younger generations actually have been brainwashed into WANTING this type of mediocrity, and still sadly a lot of the third world looks to America as some shining beacon where people can be what they wanna be. But that just ain't so.
Corporate fascism is the Oligarchy of the world's response to the free will of the spirit. If the spirit is ever-evolving and if the spirit feels overwhelmingly oppressed, the spirit will seek to change the situation... but if you can at least superficvially fool the spirit into liking its controllers and confusing it into thinking it's free by presenting it with a wide variety of options while in the end achieving the same goal... then why be overtly fascist at all? Why install microchips and make the Police State any more obvious than it has to be?

If it's going to work at all, its real motivations need to be kept either secret or ridiculed as "crazy talk" by the people who aren't in the know. Similarly to Orwell's 1984, compliance with this Corporate New World Order (which is already mostly in place) relies heavily on mind control, traumatization, and dissociation with the true self. I highly doubt they are going to remove the name brands from the Corporate entities that people have come to depend on for a security blanket of sorts, yet behind the scenes, everything is becoming dependent on fewer and fewer big centralized hubs of power. I'd be very surprised to hear that the North American Union will ever come about in an obvious fashion. I believe it's all being curtailed in secret in order to keep the brand names of the countries in tact. The illusion of freedom depends on variety, and the powers that be know that if America is suddenly merged with a superstate, the Fascism will become FAR too obvious and the risk becomes too great that the people will rebel.sly not for much longer, relatively speaking... but until nuclear war or some other massive catastrophy "accidentally" breaks out and eliminates a large portion of life on Earth, an obvious Neo-Fascist Orwellian Big Brother State is not profitable.

I think lately, things are becoming more and more obvious as some kind of very underhanded ploy. No doubt there are quite a few conspiracy theorists out there who are making this stuff popular: Alex Jones, David Icke, Jeff Rense, etc....

So... I take what they are saying with a grain of salt in a way where I listen to what they have to say and I file it under plausible... but if the Big Brother State comes around entirely too much like they said, you will just have to be aware that nobody is right 90 percent of the time or even 50 percent of the time without immunity of some sort... and if they were by accident right about a lot of stuff, it's quite possible they'd be dead by now (Phil Schneider, Bill Cooper, etc...RIP). So either they have some damn good body guards, or we're being set up in another longer term creeping ploy by the powers that be. In this case, maybe they do want a 1984 type society. Maybe they eventually WANT us to rebel and create havoc, and then out of nowhere, a "rogue" group just out of sheer "luck" hijacks a nuclear missle silo and sets off a nuclear war.

There's your population reduction scenario. There's your scenario where you have good enough reason to isolate and control the surviving population in small groups without them putting up a fight, because it's ""for their safety".... and then you can tell these frightened people and most likely the generation after them, who've been so brutally traumatized, to accept any form of control you want, as long as it keeps them safe from fallout poisoning or their babies safe from birth defects.... Eugenics, anyone?

So.... I guess it would most likely take a nuclear world war to usher in an overt Big Brother State... but with the population how it is right now, we're pretty controlled by covert technologies and social engineering anyway. They wanna make this "modern" system last as long as possible... but like I said, the human spirit will always evolve a way around an obstacle... so the obstacle will evolve with it. The whole scenario may just climax in a way that none of us could even fathom.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
let's see...

- cameras everywhere: check (google maps for example, UK CCTV for another)

- ministries of truth, love, etc. : check, already relate to newscorp, "moral reform," etc.

- blind patriotism and support for unseen (filtered coverage) wars: check.

- global tracking / listening: check (via cellphones)

- the only thing missing seems to be thought crime, which i doubt is very far away. It used to exist as craniometry/eugenics, but will make a return eventually with some new technology behind it.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

" I just think that if we continue on our current path that we might become a society similar to the one George Orwell predicted. "

You say predicted, I say he knew something.

And he wasn't the only one who knew stuff way ahead of time.

Look at the debunked protocols! How does something get trashed and considered fake, but it all happens just the same. The truth is, the protocols were not really debunked! They were judged a "forgery". If you forged a hundred dollar bill does it not resemble the original document? so the court just said the papers were not the originals, that's all, but the story got spun so that most folks believe they are a lie, when in fact common belief is a lie.

Dr. Dennis Cuddy wrote an article called, "How did they know"!

newswithviews.com...

Plenty of the Elite, and orwell had attended tavistock, knew lots of thing way before us dumb stupid citizens knew anything.

If you knew what certain privledged people knew, you'd get gray hair overnight.

One of the Rockefellers told Aaron Russo about 9/11 months before it happened. One of the rockefellers admitted they were helping along a global government. But that stuff is verbotten on teevee [ the liars club ]

We already are practicing Double Speak

War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength

I suppose some folks still think that animal farm is just a silly novel too...

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

" the only thing missing seems to be thought crime, which i doubt is very far away...."

You forget about the thought crime bill that was being pushed by ted kennedy?

Shame on you...

www.roguegovernment.com...

www.timegoesby.net...

www.rense.com...

they're cooking the frog slowly and it is just a matter of time b4 this is law!

new topics

top topics

join