It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP: Drugs Affect More Drinking Water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   

AP: Drugs Affect More Drinking Water

hosted.ap .org

Testing prompted by an Associated Press story that revealed trace amounts of pharmaceuticals in drinking water supplies has shown that more Americans are affected by the problem than previously thought - at least 46 million. ...
The drug residues detected in water supplies are generally flushed into sewers and waterways through human excretion. Many of the pharmaceuticals are known to slip through sewage and drinking water treatment plants.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.epa.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
What's the deal with the water fluoridation?

[edit on 9.13.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The article goes on to state:

While the comprehensive risks are still unclear, researchers are finding evidence that even extremely diluted concentrations of pharmaceutical residues harm fish, frogs and other aquatic species in the wild and impair the workings of human cells in the laboratory.

After a bit of research into what the American government has to say about this, I found this, from the EPA.

Studies have shown that pharmaceuticals are present in our nation's waterbodies. Further research suggests that certain drugs may cause ecological harm. The EPA is committed to investigating this topic and developing strategies to help protect the health of both the environment and the public. To date, scientists have found no evidence of adverse human health effects from PPCPs in the environment.

PPCPs have probably been present in water and the environment for as long as humans have been using them. The drugs that we take are not entirely absorbed by our bodies, and are excreted and passed into wastewater and surface water. With advances in technology that improved the ability to detect and quantify these chemicals, we can now begin to identify what effects, if any, these chemicals have on human and environmental health.

I feel better; don't you?!

Note: I live less than 30 minutes' drive from the largest group of freshwater lakes on this planet. We've always considered our tap water to be quite clean, especially when compared to that of, say, my relatives in Florida. However, after going through this information, I'd be curious to find out how "drug-free" the water is in the metropolitan area that I call home. Fluoride notwithstanding, of course...

hosted.ap .org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
There is Ritalin in many of the water supplies, as well as contraceptives, estrogen, and various interesting hormones and prescription drugs. The effects are sweeping through the ecosystem - and YOUR system -

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertRogers

I don't believe in birth-control. I'm a Catholic.

[pause for recognition of sarcasm...]

Interesting stuff you've added to the mix, RR. I'm curious as to where you've discovered that information. I wouldn't be surprised.

I recently read Jim Marrs' excellent book, The Rise of the Fourth Reich. Therein Marrs connects the dots between the Nazi scientists absorbed into American chemical [incl. pharmaceutical] research, and the alarming rise in fluoridated water, psychotic episodes triggered by anti-depressants, and the continuation of the fascist agenda.

Back to your post, it is a "brave" new world, indeed. Then again, maybe "brave" ain't the word for it...

new topics

top topics

join