It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has technology de-activated our DNA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
THis is something that I keep wondering about, when I look at the diference between "primitive" cultures and technological societies.

Back in the day we were all "primitive," though most of these lifestyles have been eradicated, or at least contaminated, by now, but it used to be common to find tribes that beleived in communication with plants and animals, spiritual beings guides, shape-shifting, "magic" or "medicine," although they did not actually call them by those names.

Contrast that with the type of beleifes that are prevelent now, and have been for centuries, that grew out of a growing relience upon technology. We scoff at the spiritual things, or if we accept their existance at all, define them almost exclusively as the work of evil.

I do not think that a tribal life would be easier at all--hoever I think that it was "better" in the sense that it was much more spiritually inclusive.

This has lef me to wonder whether the growing reliance upon technology somehow destroyed a part of humankind's innate spirituality. Perhaps this is why we only have 2 strands of DNA now--maybe before the advent of technology, we had all 12 activated?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'll take spiritually lacking but comfortable and convenient over short and largely miserable any day.

Many people would be rather distraught if deprived of some very basic modern conveniences that weren't around. Modern toilet paper, for instance. easily available non-diseased water. A better than 8 in 10 chance of living past the first seven days, and if so, a better than 3/4ths chance of living past the age of 5. You know, that sort of thing. Some people might like the simple, tribal life. Most would not.

Historically, people were never all that spiritual. No more than they are religious today. People were always out killing each other and going to war; apparently many cultures hunted animals to extinction and caused widespread environmental damage. Modern religion is mostly made up of the ancient spiritual beliefs of unusually successful cultures, which has developed into a set of large organizations which hold power using those beliefs.

Modern man is not very different, really, from the ancient peoples of Easter Island. We can only hope that we don't follow in their footsteps completely.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I appreciate your concern about us humans but honestly, it is not technology the cause of our ignorance about life. We as humans are the fault of everything we see, hear, do in our lives.

Technology could be a million years ahead of our time, but it is US who need to educate ourselves to what WE want to know. Our DNA could easily be activated simply by understanding ourselves, we don't need technology to do this.

We are so ignorant that we believe that technology is the all mighty, we do not believe in ourselves anymore. We do know more about our lives experiences than any living organism in this world, we do know what we need to make ourselves better, to be more spiritualistic but we choose not to.

If everyone would open their minds to the universe you will soon find out that there is no need of technology to activate or deactivate our 12 strands of DNA. We only have '2' as you say we do, just because this is what we want it to be. Through meditation and complete peace within ourselves, we can activate more DNA strands and thereby making us humans better, but we rely in a world to do that for us and that's where the mistake begins and ends.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

From what I can gather, no, it has not de-activated our DNA, but in reality, it has de-activated our common sense.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Yeh.. if anything we have given our power away to technology.. we need to take responsibility for our own actions not put the blame elsewhere. We change ourselves we take our power back within and make the right choices that make the world a better place to live in. DNA activated or not.. we have the choice to take responibility to awaken or not.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I'm rather curious about this idea. I'm wondering if the O.P. has any evidence that we (as a species) used to have 12 strands of DNA. Unless our understanding of genetics is wrong, or my understanding of his terminology is wrong, that idea doesn't make sense. After all, the differences in DNA are why humans and other animals aren't cross-fertile, and in those cases, the DNA is well over 90% common. How could we (humans) be cross-fertile with creatures with radically different DNA?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I was told by a real old wiseman that technology is here to replace what was natural to us sometime in the past.

Telephones replace mental telepathy , internet replaces the universal knowledge source , Pharmacy drugs replacing the natural ability to heal.

Its like we know what we are capable of but dont want to believe it and want it now in a material way.

Animals and 'primitive' peoples are actally way more advanced than we are. They live on this planet as part of the planet and help the planet to flourish while co-exsisting with her. The non primitives are the cancer of the earth, they are not in tune with the 'gods will' energy that guids everything in the universe hence the poor state if the major cities in the world.

Time to hang up the suite\ and trade it for some feathers. I am going to South America to live out my days and live according to the will of nature.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
You bring up a good point. That is why I said that it de-activates our common sense. Not all things that are man made, are good for us. I remember reading somewhere, that cell phones put out a powerful electro magnetic field, and in time, this can create tumors in the brain and it makes sense beings we hold them to our ears. And if you think about it, on a larger scale, it would be no different then standing under those high tension wires you see strung across the country, people have done this, to see what happens. They find themselves in a state where nothing feels or seems right to them after a given amount of time, disorientation occures, sometimes sickness and strange thought patterns happen.

I know a few people who can not use cell phones. Many of them say they feel light headed and sick if they use them for an extended period of time. Once they put them down, in a short while, it goes away.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brother Stormhammer
I'm rather curious about this idea. I'm wondering if the O.P. has any evidence that we (as a species) used to have 12 strands of DNA. Unless our understanding of genetics is wrong, or my understanding of his terminology is wrong, that idea doesn't make sense. After all, the differences in DNA are why humans and other animals aren't cross-fertile, and in those cases, the DNA is well over 90% common. How could we (humans) be cross-fertile with creatures with radically different DNA?

I don't have evidence that we used to, and I really don't know that uch about genetics, but I was playing on the New-Age-ish idea that we are going to be more spiritually fulfiled by expanding to 12-strands.

Some people postulate that our DNA strands were interfered with, by aliens or whomever. I wondered, if this is true at all, if they might have used a technological method of "deactivating" ten strands, and we as a species became "broken" because we did not have the ability to survive in nature without using tools or some kind, which led to an eventual dependance on more and more technology.

At the very least, I think the more we integrate technology, the more we compensate with spiritual loss.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanZana
I was told by a real old wiseman that technology is here to replace what was natural to us sometime in the past.

Telephones replace mental telepathy , internet replaces the universal knowledge source , Pharmacy drugs replacing the natural ability to heal.

Its like we know what we are capable of but dont want to believe it and want it now in a material way.

Animals and 'primitive' peoples are actally way more advanced than we are. They live on this planet as part of the planet and help the planet to flourish while co-exsisting with her. The non primitives are the cancer of the earth, they are not in tune with the 'gods will' energy that guids everything in the universe hence the poor state if the major cities in the world.

Time to hang up the suite\ and trade it for some feathers. I am going to South America to live out my days and live according to the will of nature.

IZ,

Thanks for being so eloquant. I agree with you. I beleive that animals are at least, if not more, intelegent than we are, just in different ways so many humans think of them as stupid, and I often envy them their apparent ability to recognize innately that they are part of a greater cycle.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux
You bring up a good point. That is why I said that it de-activates our common sense. Not all things that are man made, are good for us. I remember reading somewhere, that cell phones put out a powerful electro magnetic field, and in time, this can create tumors in the brain and it makes sense beings we hold them to our ears. And if you think about it, on a larger scale, it would be no different then standing under those high tension wires you see strung across the country, people have done this, to see what happens. They find themselves in a state where nothing feels or seems right to them after a given amount of time, disorientation occures, sometimes sickness and strange thought patterns happen.

I know a few people who can not use cell phones. Many of them say they feel light headed and sick if they use them for an extended period of time. Once they put them down, in a short while, it goes away.

I don't doubt for a second that technology has changed us profoundly in the last couple of centuries, particularly this one. But since the changes take place over a long period of time and it's often hard to link cause to effect, (and would indicate a substantial loss of income if C&E were linked and acted upon) we don't always recognize the changes.

top topics

join