It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Think I May Have Something Here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I have been around on these boards for a while, but have preferred to read as opposed to post.

However, today, I found something in my personal photos collection that has made me get an account. I know you are all really sceptical of people that post "evidence" for their first post, but I can assure you that these photos are 100% real. I'm not sure what they are. I posted them in this section because as far as I'm concerned, this object I captured is unidentifiable to me. That doesn't mean it's anything special, I just can't figure it out. Maybe some of you can help.

Let me set the stage...I was a college student in upstate NY (Ithaca area) and I was on a backroad with a female friend of mine observing the sunset. I had a camera which I was renting from my school for a project (at the time a 6MP camera was a big deal, and the only way you could use one was to rent one) I snapped a few photos, uploaded them to my hard drive when I got home, and never really looked at them until today. The crazy thing is that I took 10+ photos in 5 minutes, so you can see the movement of this object. It's obviously not just a cloud, and it's not an airplane because it's moving up in a corkscrew fashion. The only thing it could be in my opinion is a rocket launch, but in Ithaca, NY? Could it be a Cornell test of some sorts? It's so big, though, that if it was a rocket, shouldn't I have been able to hear something?

Let me know what you think.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by crash5258]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Yes..i think your right on this one...this must be some sort of rocket launch,not sure where from but Good find!

N3RDz

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Gorgeous sunset!

And it's a rocket launch

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by crash5258
The only thing it could be in my opinion is a rocket launch, but in Ithaca, NY? Could it be a Cornell test of some sorts?

It may be a large scale model rocket. Those things can move faster than the speed-of-sound and reach 10,000 feet.

Beautiful shots, by the way.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Good point! I've been to model rocket conventions and those people are NOT messing around. lol They have serious rockets that are huge, go so high they need to clear the air space of helicopters and planes before launching, and are so powerful people need permits to build them.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I'm not big on model rocketry, but you don't think this is a little big to be a model?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

The crazy thing is that I took 10+ photos in 5 minutes, so you can see the movement of this object. It's obviously not just a cloud, and it's not an airplane because it's moving up in a corkscrew fashion.

My honest opinion is that it is a plane far far out. Reson is the timespan of 5 min. It is slow.
There was a simluar post and picture in an earlier thread half a year ago from someone in england and it made it in the early morning.
It looked simular. But he saw multiple such "lunches".

I commented that he/she shoudl try to repeat tho take snapshots in simular weather condition at t he same spot same direction and if it were plane it would repeat. I don't know if he/she ever repeated and posted the result.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by g210b]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by g210b

I tend to agree that it's an aircraft. Rather than going "up" it looks like its' flying more or less level, toward the camera. The contrail remains within (or below) the cloud layer rather than punching through it. It appears to be a prefrontal condition which could account for the very heavy contrail as well as the turbulence shown in the sinuous nature of the contrail.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...#
have a look at these pics they kind of have a similar look about them

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I'm not big on model rocketry, but you don't think this is a little big to be a model?

This is a model rocket:

And take a look at the pictures on the right hand side:

www.nar.org...

There are model rockets that require special permits and special clearance to fly. Most model rocket conventions and launches are open to the public so you can always go and see how amazing and BIG these things get.

Back to the OP:

If you can remember the date you took these, have you looked at archives from your local news and newspapers? They sometimes report rocket launches...usually because people call in UFO reports.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I think it was probably an aeroplane.

Between the first (IMG_5316) and the last photo (IMG_5331) there is a difference of 6 minutes and 30 seconds, too much time for a rocket to travel that distance, the right time for an aeroplane.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Alora

intesting! I didn't think these go this big.. but is this the biggest they can get without gov oversite? I mean, what is exactally the absolute max they can make without some sort of 'major' license; I'm thinking NASA types here.

Judging from the distance of the picture taken, it's only perhaps a mile or two ?? If it's further out than that, it means it's fairly large rocket!! With a smoke trail like that I would think you'd should have. But, I'm def no expert in the field.

Like the chemtrails in the air as well . great shot !

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
there's no real restriction on overall size for a model rocket. But you are not allowed to place any form of GPS tracking into them, even if its to assist in recovery, because the government then classify it as a guided Rocket/Missle and therefore a weapon.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'm just really hesitant to believe that this was a model...this photo was taken from the top of a really large hill, and this object was at least 10+ miles away. I'm not sure how to extrapolate size based on the distance from which the photo was taken, but I have a degree in photography, and can tell you that based on these photos, it must have been BIG. reply to post by Komodo

[edit on 14-9-2008 by crash5258]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by crash5258

Like I said before, it was probably an aeroplane, at that distance you could only see the trail, so the corkscrew movement could be only of the trail, and the time it took to travel that distance is consistent to the time an aeroplane takes to travel similar distances.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by crash5258

In what direction were you facing? If you were facing North, it could be an ICBM from a Boomer, during the last few test of the missle defense laser system thing, but I wouldn't know if they had tested any over the Northern areas. I have seen tests over Alaska, and down the West coast, but never heard of one in your location. I'd need diredtion, and a touch more info before I could tell what type of projectile it is.

top topics

join