Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Some advice: Just don't give a s**t

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Seriously, I think some of you are really caught up in the fantasy the government actually cares about what you think. The entire nation could've protested against the Iraq war and we'd have still gone to war.

Here's advice. You want to live happy, fulfilling, lives? Drop your politics and let the government do whatever it wants. You can't do anything about it, so why bother? In the long run, you will accomplish more by not being involved. Don't protest (they'll just send you to jail to be profiled), don't vote (they'll just throw it away). Just help society. That's all you need to do, help other people.

Look at it this way: if the U.S. screws up, it's not your fault. You did everything right.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
While some of that is true, if the governemt screws up and we get nuked, its no longer just their problem, its everyones. Problems dont go away when you ignore them, they get worse. If people had taken the stance your advocating from the beginning of this country african americans would still be enslaved, women wouldnt be able to vote, etc.

Sometimes its not about making a difference, its about being comfortable with yourself that you didn't sit by and just let # happen. I personally would rather sit in jail for speaking my mind than be free (but not really when you think about it) for biting my tongue when I had a chance to speak out.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Your best bet, Alternate, is to do as I do... quit voting, sit in your house with a loaded shotgun, and wait for the inevitable massive government #up.

It's a living

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Seriously, I think some of you are really caught up in the fantasy the government actually cares about what you think.

Government never cares about people. No government ever has. But people care about people, and the government is made up of them. Apply the right force to the right people, and things can change.

The entire nation could've protested against the Iraq war and we'd have still gone to war.

Probably not. If the entire nation protested, it would be in the form of impeachment should he go ahead with it.

Here's advice. You want to live happy, fulfilling, lives? Drop your politics and let the government do whatever it wants. You can't do anything about it, so why bother?

This is fundamentally idiotic. If you want to go along with the crowd that doesn't give a #, well then I say you are part of the problem rather than the solution.

In the long run, you will accomplish more by not being involved. Don't protest (they'll just send you to jail to be profiled), don't vote (they'll just throw it away). Just help society. That's all you need to do, help other people.

Look at it this way: if the U.S. screws up, it's not your fault. You did everything right.

All of this is quite possibly the worst advise anyone can give, and places you in the self-server catagory along with quite a number of lazy egocentric people we have in this complacent country. Nothing ventured nothing gained. And by the way, fighting a loosing battle is better than lieing down and dying. So do us all a favor and bless us with the latter.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Seriously, I think some of you are really caught up in the fantasy the government actually cares about what you think. The entire nation could've protested against the Iraq war and we'd have still gone to war.

Here's advice. You want to live happy, fulfilling, lives? Drop your politics and let the government do whatever it wants. You can't do anything about it, so why bother? In the long run, you will accomplish more by not being involved. Don't protest (they'll just send you to jail to be profiled), don't vote (they'll just throw it away). Just help society. That's all you need to do, help other people.

I think what you have said is one of the dumbest things I have ever laid my eyes upon.

The government is us. They are people we elect. You could be in the government if you wanted that is what makes this society great. We elect our officials. Why do act like the government like it is some living breathing single headed thing. It isn't. It is mad up of individuals from every state in the u.s.

People discussing politics such as we do in this board is one way of doing something about it. Sure it may be a small part but influincing someone to vote a certain way will make a difference.

I greatly dissaprove of the war in iraq. Also the massive spending done there. Sure bush wanted it and would've started it regarless but our senators and representatives voted him the money he needed to do it. That's why I stress the importance to vote in those elections and engage in politics to get those with common sense in office instead of war mongering. oil crooks.

That is what makes this country great. I can say I despise george bush and pretty much everything he has done while president. People like you are why nothing is done about major issues in government. You don't have a voice.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
When you read what we do, you realize that you are being sold out to whomever has the most money on this planet. While there may be little you can do, you can be certain everything such as the Iraq invasion is done to deprive the public further of what it considers a normal life. If the public did nothing ever, you would be living in an overtly totalitarian state right now. Sure, what we are living under now is not good, but its better than living within a true 1984 or Brave New World type scenario.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
You wouldn't be here if people did the same as you and didn't give a #. Do you think that if Winston Churchill decided to not give a # about hitler that you'd be here today?

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Some people will never care what happens. Even though its unconstitutional to kick them out of the country...I'd advocate that. Why should we let them sleep under the same umbrella of freedom and sercurity that America provides while they refuse to participate. I say ship them to a country where there is no freedom and let them start for scatch fighting for freedom then maybe they'll start to appreciate what we have here instead of taking it for granted.

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by Saphronia]

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Those kind of people are fully appreciating what this country allows them to do, and that is to do nothing at all. Of course there is a time to take action, but I think sweatmonica has a point there about helping society, that's where it starts. btw, people represent themselves, not elected officals. Politicans, officals, they just try and represent who they can, while having strong convictions of their own.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
While it is very easy to just complain and say that you have no voice in government affairs it is not true. Maybe you think your vote doesn't matter but fact is it does.

The last presidential election came down to a few votes in Florida. Local elections are usually decided by small amounts of votes, even getting out and voting for city commission members makes a difference.

It amazes me that some of my co-workers are so fast to complain about city issues and matters but so slow to vote or do any research on commision members and their policies. I can't vote due to having dual citizenship but i do keep up on various issues and make my voice heard in other ways than voting, it bothers me that so many people don't take an active interest in matters that directly concern them. Your vote does count.

With that i shall make my exit, thanks for reading.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saphronia
Some people will never care what happens. Even though its unconstitutional to kick them out of the country...I'd advocate that. Why should we let them sleep under the same umbrella of freedom and sercurity that America provides while they refuse to participate. I say ship them to a country where there is no freedom and let them start for scatch fighting for freedom then maybe they'll start to appreciate what we have here instead of taking it for granted.

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by Saphronia]

The fact that I don't care shows how much I value what freedom we have here. I'm just being realistic. The government doesn't care about us, but the fact I can live in peace shows that this country ain't all that bad. So I'm actually doing the government a favor by not speaking out. The most patriotic thing someone can do is just live and not cause any issues.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   

The fact that I don't care shows how much I value what freedom we have here. I'm just being realistic. The government doesn't care about us, but the fact I can live in peace shows that this country ain't all that bad. So I'm actually doing the government a favor by not speaking out. The most patriotic thing someone can do is just live and not cause any issues.

You are a simpering fool, and you know it. I understand that you are probably trying to bait us with your obvious bull#. Nothing more idiotic could come out of anything else. This whole post comes from either A) a bull# bait, or B) a total idiot who cares for no one but himself. Either way you are childish and a true drain on society.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

You are a simpering fool, and you know it. I understand that you are probably trying to bait us with your obvious bull#. Nothing more idiotic could come out of anything else. This whole post comes from either A) a bull# bait, or B) a total idiot who cares for no one but himself. Either way you are childish and a true drain on society.

RIGHT ON!!!!! here here!!!! a round of applause, please!

it was a bit harsh, but effective, nonetheless.

I think this is more like a baiting tactic, like you said, or the usual disempowerment tactic designed to make people all the more apathetic to current events. like we need that.

on the other hand, the author makes a good point. There were mass protests before and after the war on iraq and it happened anyway. despite that, I think that people should continue to push forward their own agendas that contradict the plans of the evil.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The power is with the people, but when the people are complacent, the government is fully capable of running on it's own steam (as I think it has for way too long).

The good point to the current polarization of America, is that we are seeing increased involvement. If the furvor gets loud enough, we can shake the fruit from the tree and gain back lost ground.

As I said before, if you are not fighting, you are part of the problem and you help lead this country into the state it is now, and further the slide.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Oh, that burns! I need some Neosporin NOW! And maybe bandages.

You know why I love America so much? Because we have REAL freedom here. Being a republic and not a democracy, we have real freedom which is to have no responsibilities but your own. What other country lets you have that? In a democracy, the government is every person. If not everyone does something, it's useless. And everybody must listen to other people and make compromises and agree even if we don't. But in America, we can agree to disagree We can even make the choice whether to listen or not. That is real freedom, and many of us take it for granted.

I don't like the U.S. government. They don't do things in the best interest. But to think that you can actually change their minds, well, dream on. That is wishful, naive, idealistic thinking. If anything's a drain on society, it's someone who can't accept the truth.

Besides, what makes you think you are any different from the troublemakers?

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I don't know what you mean by troublemakers, but fighting for what you believe has honor whereas what you prescribe only holds laziness and self service.

I'm sure that you being in high school now (if that) you don't know what it is to be an adult and have responcibilies.

Once you get off mom's tit, you might see things differently.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I don't know what you mean by troublemakers, but fighting for what you believe has honor whereas what you prescribe only holds laziness and self service.

I'm sure that you being in high school now (if that) you don't know what it is to be an adult and have responcibilies.

Once you get off mom's tit, you might see things differently.

First off, my mother's been gone for quite some time, so I don't think I'd have a tit to suck on anyway (if you think I'm joking, that's your choice). Second, I am a couple years out of high school, but great try! Third, the whole high school thing is so cheap. I know 17-year-olds who are one hell of a lot wiser and more "adult" than you. If anybody should be a realist, it's an adult. They have lived long enough to know what the world they live in is like. And adults should be realistic enough to know there are things out of their control. Evidently, your presumed adulthood hasn't really been a positive effect.

Fighting for what you believe in is a good thing. But there is a difference between the honorable and the insanely stupid. The honorable knows when to fight to the death, the insanely stupid doesn't know when to fight period. When it comes to our government, a republic, the ultimate decision-maker, it's not time to fight. It's not time to surrender either. But it's time to get on with your life. If you can't beat them, you can't beat them. Just make the best you can with your life and when they do leave a door open, then jump on it. But not when they've got all doors closed.

Personally, I don't know what you plan to do. I've learned in my lifetime that being dreamy and wishful doesn't help. But I've figured out what I like, and I like this freedom in America. I like the ignorant American people. That's why after college, I plan to serve in the USMC. It's a cool job, and at least I get to protect what I like about America.

Can you do that? Or do you just talk above everyone else?

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Fighting for what you believe in is a good thing. But there is a difference between the honorable and the insanely stupid. The honorable knows when to fight to the death, the insanely stupid doesn't know when to fight period. When it comes to our government, it's not time to fight. It's not time to surrender either. But it's time to get on with your life.

You contradict yourself in that your rights are being taken and shaved piece by piece, and you will not have those freedoms for too long should you not do anything. I think your view of a realist is skewed in that there are forces out there that vie to decieve you, change this country, and subvert your rights, and they are allowed to do so under your watchful gaze.

Personally, I don't know what you plan to do. I've learned in my lifetime that being dreamy and wishful doesn't help.

Being dreamy and wishful is fine, but action is what turns thinking into change. You are already defeated if you think you can do nothing.

But I've figured out what I like, and I like this freedom in America. I like the ignorant American people. That's why after college, I plan to serve in the USMC. It's a cool job, and at least I get to protect what I like about America.

Can you do that? Or do you just talk above everyone else?

I've already served my country little brorther, and in the Marine Corps Infantry no less. I have a few dead friends that will verify that if you'd like. But coming from experience, I know that should you join the Marines, you will not take kindly to people trying to swindle the rights you sweat and bleed to provide. Even today I would die fighting for what I thought was right rather than sit around not caring. That I find to be the least patriotic thing you can do. Don't talk to me about what life is like and what you hope to do once you are done playing around. I've been in college, served in the Marines, and work to support my wife and two sons. So don't talk to me of service, I do it everyday.

Of course you have the right to your opinion. I just find it limit in logic and loathsome.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:48 AM
link   

What other country lets you have that?

...what...do you think America is the only country that allows freedom to do pretty much as you please, as long as you don't serious harm someone without good reason???

Ummm...theres still a few 'free' countries on the planet...and that don't really require any protection of freedoms with Constitutions or Acts of Govt...they are a simple given and accepted as the norm...

...I'm living in one right now actually...

[Edited on 23-3-2004 by alien]

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Being dreamy and wishful is fine, but action is what turns thinking into change. You are already defeated if you think you can do nothing.

Actually, I win in this case. The person who learns to realize who he/she is and works with what they have is the winner. Not the person who says "Let's bring down the government!" and instead goes home and watches TV. In this case, you cannot fight the government. If you go toe-to-toe with a giant, he'll just squish you. So it'd be rather stupid to "fight to the death" (mostly becuase you'd be dead before you fight anyway).

I've already served my country little brorther, and in the Marine Corps Infantry no less. I have a few dead friends that will verify that if you'd like. But coming from experience, I know that should you join the Marines, you will not take kindly to people trying to swindle the rights you sweat and bleed to provide. Even today I would die fighting for what I thought was right rather than sit around not caring. That I find to be the least patriotic thing you can do. Don't talk to me about what life is like and what you hope to do once you are done playing around. I've been in college, served in the Marines, and work to support my wife and two sons. So don't talk to me of service, I do it everyday.

Hey, I'll talk to you about service whenever I please, so fire away. Anyway, that's good for you. Myself and the rest of the nation are very proud of you. It's a good thing you felt like serving the people of the United States. To do that is the greatest thing a person can do. I'm planning to serve as an officer in Marine Corps Infantry. Nothing better than leading a platoon, I guess.

Of course you have the right to your opinion. I just find it limit in logic and loathsome.

Hey, you can do whatever you want. If you really believe that losing the fight before it even begins is a good idea, by all means do it. If you really think you can take on the enemy without knowing a single thing about them, do it. If you think the government cares about you (which you said they didn't), go for it. If it ends up in your favor, then drinks are on me.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join