It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were suddenly put in charge of your country....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

I'm for most everything you've said here. Thanks for your 2 cents. Be well, Mintwithahole. Is that a reference to "Certs" by the way? Love the name. LOL. Be well.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
If I could run Britain...hmm

Firstly I'd give the judicial system a complete turnover, I'd make very harsh sentences so that criminals understood there would be consequences for committing crime with the most severe penalty being the death sentence.

Then I'd completely change the benefit system meaning that anyone that could work did. It would mean people had something to aspire to knowing they couldnt rely on others for handouts. Those that refused to work would simply receive nothing.

I'd also withdraw us from Europe before we became a complete puppet controlled by Brussells. After doing this I would then try and solidify our relationship with the Republic of Ireland to become a unified British Isles. I would also give Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland the offer of becoming republic nations in the way that IRE are.

I'd reintroduce national service to all school leavers not going onto further education, those that did i'd introduce other forms of service to be completed whilst studying.

all UK forces would be withdrawn from warzones and would only be drawn into wars that directly affected our interests.

thats all I can think of right now, i'm sure i have many more points I've missed out on so I'll probably be back later to resume my reign of terror

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Static Sky
reply to post by redled

What, specifically, would you delegate, please?

Anything that was a waste of my energy.

Would you take from the rich to give to the poor? would you help give the poor better tools like free college, to better themselves? Please elaborate.

Rich and poor alike would invest in our combined futures, of course the poor would need a lesser burden.

And for the purpose of this theoretical thread....POOF!!!! You are now in charge of your country.

Thanks for your time.

Not in charge of my country, no one is, that's our immediate problem, we need a leader.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by redled]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well.. I live in Belgium, we have a parliament and a senate, so anything I'd put forward as Prime Minister would have to be approved by these organs.

But, if in some funky parallel world I'd have dictatorial powers, I'd start by pulling us out of the EU.

Then, I'd take away political rights for our current batch of rulers, and organise new elections, so there would be a political generation that did not grow to power in the party-system.

I mean, here in Belgium it is starting to get ridiculous, many of our ministers and senators are sons and daughters of people who held the same position, who in turn are again sons and daughters of people who held those positions.. If anything is ever to change, those traitorous cancers would hàve to go.

And if this new generation of politicians opts to re-tie themselves to the EU I'd honor that.. I mean, what's the use of trying to install a new democracy instead of this caste system if their decisions get tossed away.. I'd be seriously dissappointed, but hey, that's the way Democracy works.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
What a perfectly fabulous dream question.

I'd immediately roust every senator and congressman from there positions except Kucinich. Streamline the political process with reforms and give the gov back to the people it was intended for.

Healthcare for all. Pull all our guys and gals in the military back to the US and attempt to shore up overseas ties with discussion not bombs. Taking off the world policeman hat.

Work on the infrastructure and get everyone back to work that can. Offering free training for in need jobs for those that can.

Put all our resources into developing green reliable energy sources.

I can dream.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The first thing I'd do if I was in charge of America is have anyone who hadn't voted for me jailed and out of the way (for the good of the Country).

My policy's would include compulsory military service which would wipe out unemployment in one stroke.

No more diplomacy with other country's if they don't do what's best for America they will feel my wrath and get bombed into the stone age.

I would introduce the several new Taxes including the Air tax if people want to breathe they should pay me for the privilege.

Oh and possibly invade Poland just for fun.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
There's a lot I'd like to do, but first of all call the present government to account for the way they've ruined our country and involved us in illegal invasions of other countries. I'd want them tried as war criminals.

After that,

I'd grant licenses to companies to scavenge rubbish tips and re-cycle waste, taking the burden off of householders who can now be prosecuted for putting out the wrong type of rubbish.......

Abolish the TV license and let the TV companies make their money through advertising. And make them improve their output.

Legalise and clean up drugs and prostitution. If you have fair laws in these areas you take away a lot of the feeble excuses offered for offensive behaviour. Anyone offending when the law is fair and allows people to indulge their appetites in a safe environment can go to jail and have the key thrown away.

Discourage drinking - an absolute scourge in our society.

Tougher penalties for violent behaviour and no appeal.

Start to educate our children properly - they don't need to be geniuses but they must be literate.

Place more value on manual skills and encourage the less academic children to take up a proper trade.

Teach ethics in schools and encourage children to explore and understand all religions.

Erm, teach the little darlings good manners while we're at it.

Pay the elderly a proper pension or give them free services. How can we live in a country where a generation who fought a war end their lives cold and starving? Actually, why should that happen to anybody?

And stop making them sell their houses to pay for care.

Create more allotments so people can grow their own food and be less dependent on food manufacturers.

Nationalise all essential services and ensure they are run properly. If you put in efficient managers they might even make a profit. And if they don't, so what? If our taxes were spent efficiently we could afford a loss.

Oh, and make the current administration pay back their grossly under-earned salaries and expenses and give it to the poor.

Have a look at charities and see what services should be provided by the state instead. We all pay our taxes and if they were spent properly no-one need ever rely on charity.

Put a cap on the profits people can make when selling their houses. And stop re-possessing houses when people fall behind with their mortgages. They've got to live somewhere, so why not leave them in their homes with an extended time to pay up? If necessary, they can take in a lodger to help out.

Ban fluoride and Aspartame. Discourage people to eat dairy products and make massive improvements to the way animals are farmed and slaughtered for meat. Ideally, I'd make everyone be vegan, but I think even for the purposes of this exercise that's a law too far.

Definitely raise awareness of animals and their needs and stop referring to any living creature as 'vermin'. They were all born on this planet the same as we were and have the same basic needs.

Put a stop to the 'compensation culture' and discourage people from suing others.

Abolish political correctness.

That's just for a start.

Oooh! I know! Tell the truth about all the conspiracy theories - but only if people really want to know. I'd hate to spoil the fun for people here

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Shamanator

Funiest answer of the night. Tanks for your input. Had a good chuckle over it.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Beautifull. I fully share your ideals. I think the world as a whole, needs more people with our our points of view. Cheers.

[edit on 9/13/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Hi Berenike. I think maybe, this is the best thought out and presented post of the thread so far. Thanks for your input. i can't argue with too much that you've said here. Nicely done. Cheers.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
You are A ok static sky. Thank you for the chance to dream. If only for a moment.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

You too, jpm1602. adding you to my friends list. we can never have too many good friends, you know? Hope you'll do the same. Be well.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Well I am from Australia.

I hate polotics so i will get that out of the way.

(1)Ban contributions by corporations to any political campaign, party or Political Action Committee. Then ban lobbyists from spending any money directly or indirectly on . Finally reinstate the Fairness Doctrine in media so no one party can control the media (conservative or liberal).

(2)Although i dont smoke it any more I would Legalise Marijuana
and ban the use of alcohol or raise the age higher to try and prevent
abusive social behaviour within the Younger community. And yes I know you will say the drinking age is 18 or 21 where ever you might be and that dos'nt stop the generation Y from getting hammered!!!
Well the other only option would to ban Alcohol straight out.
That way we might give out future a better chance of keeping this world in a better balance.

(3)Take all Australian troops out of Iran/Iraq

(4)Give our local farmers lower Tax initiatives and supply them with funding to stay within the industry to better our local produce.

(5) A rebate to all that changes to solar power to cut down on green house gases and make all energy sources turn to Wind farms.

(6)An education system where University was compolsory.

(7)Higher Govenment handouts but monitired on all spending to be reported. (slow down the drug usage of our unemplyed.)

(8) All cars to have a liqior mechanism so any persons under the influence can not put others at risk.

(9)Taxi fares to be cut dramtically.

(10) All fast food outlets to be abolished and go back to the days we all had decent home cooked healthy meals.

thats enough for now.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by AusChiLLi]

[edit on 13-9-2008 by AusChiLLi]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
* Major decrease in the size of gov't along with a MAJOR decrease in the spending in all Federal programs. The IRS will be completely dismantled. A consumption tax will be put in place.

* Any and all laws that disregard the constitutions original intent will be abolished.

* The war on drugs will immediately be abolished. If an individual wants to shoot their own veins full of heroine, snort a bucket of coc aine, and puff on marijuana cigarettes then they will not be stopped. Your right to kill off brain cells and possibly stop your heart will be supported 100%.

* Businesses that run under the name of any given religion will no longer be tax exempt. They will be subjected to whatever a non religious business is subjected to.

* Marriage will no longer be controlled by the state. The joining of two lives and the terms of their relations will be decided 100% by the consenting adults involved regardless of sex and/or race.

* Access to visas will be halted during my first 2 years in which time the program will be reworked for stricter regulations and harsher consequences for those who violate terms of their visas. At the two year mark, we will resume the visa program, but there will be a 60% reduction in visas being issued out.

* If you want welfare (help), you WILL work and you will have 3 months to get on your feet...

If you have shown during that 3 months that you are working hard to becoming self sufficient but still need help, you will be allotted 3 more months but the help will be cut in half. BUT if you are caught during that 3 months NOT working, there will be a committee who will be on your arse for abusing the system. They will tell you where you will work, make sure you are showing up each and every day for that job, regulate your spending and you will have 20% of your earnings re-routed into the system you mooched off of unfairly until your debt is paid in full.

Once your debt is paid, you will be allowed to decide for yourself again where you will work and all that entails, but you will never again be allowed the access to help in the form of welfare.

* No more alliances with ANY country. We will interact with the world strictly on an import/export basis.

* All troops will be called home and trained strictly in defense. Any means necessary will be implemented in the securing of our country's borders and we will start by focusing on the Southern border.

All illegal immigrants who are already residing with their families inside our borders for 10 years will be scrutinized IN DETAIL by a review board. Those who have been pulling their own weight (not taking advantage of our system, but giving back what they take), not causing trouble of any kind, and can speak enough english to show they are trying to communicate respectfully with those in our country will be granted amnesty and citizenship. The rest will be booted out with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

* Healthcare will be a personal transaction btw the healthcare providers (drs, surgeons, etc) and their patients.

* Insurance will no longer be a requirement for anyone on anything.

* Employers and employees will be responsible for the earnings they are giving/receiving. If you don't like the earnings you are given by your boss, then you are free to figure out another way of making your desired amount.

Discrimination (in whatever form) will be a right allotted to the owner of a business.

Social security Numbers and driver's liscense numbers will no longer be part of the hiring process.

* No race will be recognized over another on a national level for even a day and most certainly not for a month.

* The pledge of allegience will no longer be implemented into the public arena.

The American flag will fly below all state flags in the respective states. The only place it will fly above all other flags is in Washington DC.

(These are the issues I would tackle during my first 3 months into office
hehe)

[edit on 14-9-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I was reading the washington post this morning. US is now 541 trillion dollars in debt.

That adds up to a net loss of 455,000 dollars for every US family in the the US.

Prior to w's inauguration the net debt of every US family was 19,000 USD.

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to say, Houston, we have a problem.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The question is.

Should we send a posse down to equador or wherever the hell else he is going to demand justice?

Just my usual nearly certifiable two cents.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
I was reading the washington post this morning. US is now 541 trillion dollars in debt.

That adds up to a net loss of 455,000 dollars for every US family in the the US.

Prior to w's inauguration the net debt of every US family was 19,000 USD.

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to say, Houston, we have a problem.

Ouch! I think this demonstrates perfectly, the prudence of my topic. Thank you, jpm1602. Great stuff. Cheers.

AusChiLLi and justamomma, I'm thinking of you here. Stars for both of you. Brilliantly thought out posts. I thank you both for your time and adding to the validity of this topic with very well thought out replies. Thanks much to you both. Be well.Please feel free to flag the thread if you think it's prudent. Peace.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
If I was in charge of the US my top priority would be making a separation of church and state absolutely necessary. I’d make even the smallest of changes like taking bibles and the Ten Commandments out of all court rooms. I personally feel our society would function much better if we were not encouraged to let our religion affect every aspect of our lives or our government.

That being said if I was President I probably wouldn’t be a very good one, I’m too honest and I hate the government and the rich institution too much. Of course I’d try to work for the people, but with millions mostly calling for different actions and different changes I imagined the group I agree with would get more of the perks, making me as almost bad as anyone I dislike in political positions.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Static Sky
I would just like to reiterate, this is NOT a political debate thread. This is a dream thread. You're in charge of your country. No votes on policy, no debating them either. You say it, it's now law. So that said, what changes would YOU make, to make your country better? ...

I would add the following amendments to the Constitution. Of course, I would word it a little differently, but the idea would remain exactly the same. It's just too late to write it the "proper" way.

1) Any politician, local, state, or federal, who lies while campaigning or when in office is to be punished with death. The penalty is to be carried out within 1 hour of a guilty verdict. If a prosecutor refuses to bring charges against the politician, ANY citizen in the county in which the lie was made has the RIGHT to go before the sitting grand jury, and present evidence of the lie. If the jury returns an indictment, the prosecutor joins the politican, and shares the verdict of the politician.

2) No public company can sell goods or services for a profit while United States Troops are overseas and engaged in hostile actions, whether in a declared war or not. Additionally, no private company can sell goods or services at a profit to any governmental unit (local, state, or federal). If it is determined that a company has profited from selling goods or services during a time of hostile actions, their entire board of directors, AND THEIR TOP 10 SHAREHOLDERS are to be put to death within 1 hour of the guilty verdict. If any of the top 10 shareholders are other corporations, then that board of directors will also go on trial. Any citizen residing in the county in which the action occurred can bring it to the attention of the sitting Grand Jury, if the prosecutor fails to bring charges. If the Grand Jury returns a bill of indictment, the prosecutor shares in the verdict of the company, including the penalty of death.

3) No attorney, lawyer, or former or current judge can hold any public office, except for the prosecuting attorney or judge. No lawyer or judge may hold any of the offices in the supreme court of the United States.

4) No person may hold a position in law enforcement for more than 5 years in any 10 year period.

5) An actual person cannot be taxed on their income, nor on their personal property (real or otherwise).

6) It is the right of the american people to use whatever the common means of transportation is current. This cannot be revoked, restricted, or changed.

7) In ANY proceeding against a citizen which would result in any amount of jail time or fine, the RIGHT of the citizen to have at trail by jury.

8) No judge may accept a "plea agreement". All prosecutions must go to trial. If the person or persons is found innocent, the entire cost of the defense is to be paid by the prosecutors office. If the prosecutor's office runs out of funds, the prosecuting attorney, and any assistant prosecuting attorneys are to be held PERSONALLY responsible for the associated costs. If the defendant is found innocent on one or more charges, the entire costs of the defense is to be divided by the number of charges, and the prosecuting attorney's office is to pay the share or shares of the "not guilty" charges.

9) At every election, TWO Presidents, Vice Presidents, Senators, and Representatives are to be elected, primary and secondary. There are to be 2 sitting Supreme Courts. In the event that the United States is involved in hostile actions overseas, the primary President, Vice President, Senators, and Representatives are to be IMMEDIATELY drafted, limited to the rank of private (and may never advance), and are sent to the front lines. The secondary people assume the primaries duties. IMMEDIATELY, there is to be another election of a secondary President, Vice President, Senators, and Representatives. If after 10 days there is still hostile actions overseas, these people are drafted, and the process repeats.

10) In the event that United States Troops are sent overseas in hostile actions, after the 10th day of hostile actions, EVERY PERSON WITH A NET WORTH OF $10 MILLION DOLLARS (in 2008 dollars) is to be drafted, made a private that is unable to advance in rank, and sent to the front lines. "Net Worth" includes private property, and ANY "trust funds" from which the person benefits.

11) 10 days after #10 is put into effect, every person who has earned $1,000,000 in compensation in whatever form (in 2008 dollars) in the previous year is to be immediately drafted, sent to the front lines, and may not advance in rank.

12) No person may be employed by a local, state, or federal government for more than 6 years out of any 10 year period. Soldiers in the armed forces are specifically excluded from this amendment.

13) If a person is found to actually be innocent of a crime for which they were convicted, the actual prosecuting attorney of the case is to serve the remainder of the sentence of the innocent person.

14) If a prosecuting attorney, or any police officer has withheld information from a person accused of a crime, the person accused is to be immediately deemed "innocent", and all charges are dropped and they may never be tried on this again.

15) Any action that affects only the person or persons involved, with no coercion and of their own free will, cannot be classified as a crime. No fees, fines, or restrictions will apply. This amendment is intended to make legal any and all drugs that a person would choose to ingest, as well as to make legal any sexual services performed.

16) No drug or treatment for a disease will be allowed to be patented without a cure (NOT treatment) for that or some other disease.

That ought to do for now. If anything, I'd just settle for #1 and #9 being implemented.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

I can't even begin to tell you how much I agree with you!! Someone please tell me how to get a cool icon like you all have!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join