It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC Worriers – what do you think will actually happen?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Recouper

Originally posted by Hasjkarn
I do not think anything will happen, just another experiment.

No, not just another experiment. Once analysed, the results could be profound. Assuming we are told the truth regarding those results, it could be world changing. Possibly even a small step towards freedom...

I wouldn't call it "world changing." According to my computations, the world will experience a slight adjustment . . .

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   

I wouldn't call it "world changing." According to my computations, the world will experience a slight adjustment . . .

Star!
Enjoyed that, thanks!
Sorry for one liner, but I wouldn't want you to think your wit went unnoticed or unappreciated. Cheers!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Hi All

Just a thought for discussions sake, its probably already been said, so forgive me if it has..

What if the LHC somehow attracts the fabled blue comet that is part of many myths & legends.

themuse

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by themuse
Hi All

Just a thought for discussions sake, its probably already been said, so forgive me if it has..

What if the LHC somehow attracts the fabled blue comet that is part of many myths & legends.

themuse

How could it attract anything?
There is more powerful magnets in an aluminum plant.
It is simply a larger than average science experiment it doesn't even actually do or produce anything.
It just gives them a look at things that happen on a microscopic level to do with atomic structures.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Recouper

I thought we are here because someone left behind an egg salad sandwich...

I couldn't resist either

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Star!
Enjoyed that, thanks!
Sorry for one liner, but I wouldn't want you to think your wit went unnoticed or unappreciated. Cheers!
I think it's high time to come out clear. It . . . It . . . wasn't my computation; it was Stephen Hawking's. He's the witty one. Sometimes I copy the ideas of smart folks and convey them as my own. One of those things . . . You surely understand.

According to the corollary in that two-page Hawking's formula, the earth will not stay flat indefinitely. It will recouperate and resume its original shape in 3141526 AD.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas
reply to post by Recouper

I thought we are here because someone left behind an egg salad sandwich...

I couldn't resist either

So then, it all starts and ends with a sandwich.... There is so a new religion just waiting to be penned up right there!

"In the beginning there was the Sandwich. A few days after, mold became the first living thing...", and so on and so forth.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
There already is some evidence to suggest there has already been a Black Hole at the RHIC collider this is probably the most serious subject on these boards.

BBC News

I really wish people would stop trying to make it into a joke it needs to be take seriously and it isn't something dreamt up by a conspiracy theorist.

There are so many scenarios where something can go wrong and even if it managed to leave earth we might send it straight into the sun which would achieve the same result.

To much hinges on Hawking Radiation which has already been found unlikely to exist by at least three peer reviewed papers. In fact there are more indications that if it exists it will actually accelerate growth or be neutral.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by Teknikal]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander
I think it's high time to come out clear. It . . . It . . . wasn't my computation; it was Stephen Hawking's. He's the witty one. Sometimes I copy the ideas of smart folks and convey them as my own. One of those things . . . You surely understand.

According to the corollary in that two-page Hawking's formula, the earth will not stay flat indefinitely. It will recouperate and resume its original shape in 3141526 AD.

I see.......

Obviously this doesn't bode well for the Hawkings' radiation theory.

I feel that this is a good opportunity to help some people's fears about death by singularity. Even if Hawkins is entirely wrong and there is no Hawkins' radiation, a black hole consisting of a single particle could not remain a black hole. The only reason that a particle might be heavy enough to be a black hole is because things get heavier the closer to the speed of light they travel. If a particle sized black hole were to collide with another particle (or anything), instead of sucking it in, the black hole would lose speed in the form of kinetic energy and it would lose weight (we're talking an immense amount, the effect is graphed as a curve) and no longer would be a black hole.

If that didn't assuade your fears, well I don't know enough about the subject to put forward a better argument to chill, so you'll just have to sweat it until the LHC has been run at full power or find somebody who knows the subject better than me.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

You're right... we shouldn't be poking fun. There are people who are genuinely afraid about this.

A 16 year old girl did commit suicide over it and that's no laughing matter.

I don't know, I remember touching on this stuff in school more than 10 years ago, but perhaps the subject needs to be taught a little more comprehensively right near the end of secondary school where students will be able to grasp the concepts.

I say that because, due to projects like this LHC and the internet and TV news coverage they get, experiments reaching into new grounds and opening new avenues in science are becoming more an acknowledge part of our lives than before. Perhaps it's time that the average person had a better understanding of what happens to matter and reality under certain conditions.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal
I really wish people would stop trying to make it into a joke it needs to be take seriously and it isn't something dreamt up by a conspiracy theorist.

Jokes are perfectly appropriate. The black hole would affect everyone equally, therefore everyone has the right to make comments on the situation, or joke about it as they see fit.

I originally expected a lot of fear mongering in this thread, but apparently those that are freaking out about it aren’t willing or able to describe their fears in detail.

Here is a rather dramatic clip from an Indian news station. I have no idea why they show Tokyo being destroyed, I guess maybe they “borrowed” footage from Japanese horror films. Rather amusing, quite dramatic. The picture of Shiva at the end was a nice touch.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

If that didn't assuade your fears . . .

. . . then we ask Bernie.

On "recreating the universe," Bernie said that, and that's a fact, LHC will produce proton beams that will collide head on. Did the Big Bang start by protons colliding with each other?

Obviously not; there were no protons when it blew -- that came later. That's pretty much takes care of the misinterpretation that some of the rogue PhD incompetents spread around to the joy of some folks who take delight in mega-catastrophes of any kind.

The Big Bang theory says that all particles created by this explosion didn't have mass. But protons and some other particles that came later do have mass. How these particles acquired its property of having mass?

The Standard Model didn't know. So Peter Higgs came up with a cool scenario that was considered worth of exploring by an experiment. If he is right, the Standard Model outperforms any other related theories. Hence the LHC.

Here is the contradiction that some of the mentally challenged PhDs can't see: They say that LHC will "recreate the Big Bang" and produce micro black holes. But black holes are by a definition extremely massive objects. Since mass didn't exist in the first moments of the big bang scenario, the propositions just collided head on.

The fear comes from the fact that LHC activity is an experiment, and experiments may produce byproducts and unexpected results. Add two table spoons of ignorance and watch the "black holes" grow.

Right, Bernie?
RRRRight.

Bernie -----> www.jrcompton.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Stable micro black holes could be considered a good candidate for dark matter.

I think it's foolish to think that we understand everything that could happen even if the scientists are right about Hawking Radiation a completely unknown particle could prove even more deadly than strangelets and MBH.

To me even a 0.1 chance of something going wrong and the experiments should be scrapped and never attempted again we only have one planet.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Just seen something interesting and hopefully not as prophetic as it seems from a sci fi show that aired around 2000 or so.

It's a short clip but it's quite relevant and quite scary.

Makes you think though.

You Tube

Again failed at embedding a video it always seems to show a \ symbol at the end.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join