It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Radar operator tells of UFO fleet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I know that The Sun isn't the most trustworthy of newspapers over here in the UK but this summer it has come up with a few decent UFO related stories. Here's the latest...

www.thesun.co.uk...

A fascinating case, six military radars as well as Heathrow picking up on this 1971 event, and all coming from a credible source.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by meatballxl5

Thread already exists on the topic.

Please use the search function.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

AN RAF expert yesterday revealed how he tracked a whole fleet of “spaceships” on military radar — but the Ministry of Defence told him to keep quiet. Wing Commander Alan Turner, 64, said colleagues sat stunned when 35 super-fast vessels appeared on their screens. Extraordinary ... map shows the UFOs' path across southern England Wing Cmdr Turner, who was a chief operator of the RAF’s radar system for 29 years, said the craft were equally spaced and shot from 3,000ft to 60,000ft at almost 300mph. Incredibly, every few seconds one of the UFOs would suddenly vanish from radar and be replaced by an identical vessel moments later. Advertisement Wing Cmdr Turner said six military radars, plus operators at Heathrow, spotted the UFOs east of Salisbury Plain and filed reports on the unexplained phenomenon in 1971. The RAF chief even drew a map charting their flight in between key sites like RAF Lyneham, Wilts, and the aircraft navigation transmitter at Brookmans Park, Herts. Three days later, the Ministry of Defence visited the RAF and instructed staff to “never speak about the incident again”. Wing Cmdr Turner, who retired from the RAF in 1995, said: “UFOs are a fact — I tracked them on military radar units. “What I saw defied all logic and was, quite frankly, extraordinary. “It wasn’t just me. Shocked ... Wing Commander Alan Turner tracked UFOs “More than 30 pairs of eyes of RAF staff and radar operators at Heathrow Airport witnessed the same thing. “It’s arrogant to believe that we’re the only ones in this universe.” The dad of three, of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, was a radar supervisor at the now disused RAF Sopley base, Dorset, in 1971. Wing Cmdr Turner said: “I instantly knew this wasn’t a convoy of military planes. “The only craft with that rate of climb were supersonic lightning aircraft but they wouldn’t have been able to hold such a perfect formation. “They also make a lot of noise. “No one heard a thing on the night in question.” Wing Cmdr Turner, awarded an MBE in 1984, is guest speaker at the Close Encounters conference in Pontefract, West Yorks, next month. Philip Mantle, of UFO Data magazine, said: “His testimony is remarkable.”

For those that don't want too go to "The Sun" website.

There has too be a motive from these Ex-Servicemen... I mean the sighting occured in 1971???

..He retired in 1995....

..It is the year 2008...

..It takes thirteen years too spill the beans??

The military pension must be very bad.

Thanks for the read though.

Fox.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
the sun is quiet quick aren.t they?
i am really impressed

btw. well quoted fox!

most of all i like the picture they published to illustrate their story
would be a nice wallpaper!

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Who knows what the motive is, if there is one.
I would imagine the tabloid gave him a slice for his story but I'd like to think that with all the exposure of the subject lately he felt safe sharing it now.
He is however talking at UFO Data magazines annual conference in October so at least this is a bit of self promotion.

Apologies to you irevolution, I did search before posting and nothing came up.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I wonder what would come out with a Freedom of Information request to the UK Ministry of Defence: in according tothis article someone was going to submit it
Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
It was me who released this story to the Sun in order to promote our up and coming conference in October. WC Turner told his story to a local UFO group some years ago but they had no means of publishing it. Last year, one of their members attended our conference and gave me brief outline of his sighting. I contacted WC Turner and his account was published in the March/April 2008 issue of UFO DATA Magazine. I'm the organiser of this years conference so I invited WC Turner to speak and he agreed. As the Sun newspaper have run quite a few stories on UFOs this year they were an obvious choice when it came to trying to promorte the conference. As you might expect the Sun article isn't entirely accurate but it's not far off.

If anyone would like more details of the conference it is available on our web site at: www.ufodata.co.uk

WC Turner and I have also recorded a lenghty piece for the Paracast which I believe wil be broadcast on September 14th and he has also been interviewed by The Scotland on Sunday newspaper.

Regards,

Philip Mantle.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
www.fullhalloween.com...

Found this article which seems to be pretty comprehensive on the sighting.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

September 14, 2008 — Philip Mantle and Wing Commander Alan Turner MBE

UFO researcher Philip Mantle and Wing Commander Alan Turner MBE (RAF Retired) discuss an incredible radar-based UFO encounter in 1971 and other fascinating aspects of the UFO mystery. You’ll also learn about the International UFO Conference in the UK.
Paracast interview

It's been ages since I heard the interview...mid-09. I think some of the commentary was pretty interesting and you'll enjoy it.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Whether he monitored something he was unfamiliar with or not is no longer an issue. The amount of years that has gone by and the...uh...embellishments he has made that tell the story a little differently than I am sure the radar told him...well, sorry but you have to dismiss this guy.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
quote;
“More than 30 pairs of eyes of RAF staff and radar operators at Heathrow Airport witnessed the same thing. “It’s arrogant to believe that we’re the only ones in this universe.”

I wonder if any of these 30 witnesses are alive today and could be tracked down to verify this story.Can these other witnesses from Heathrow airport and the other military radar operators be ignored too.The time it took this Wing Commander Alan Turner to come forward is understandable considering the D10 notices or security acts he would have to sign to remind him of the penalty's of speaking openly about this.

Indeed i would have kept silent too given the seriousness of the repercussions of speaking out.Maybe now in the light of these declassified documents getting the media spot light he felt the time was right to come forward.I would not rule out this testimony from him off hand, as creditable sources who do have the guts to come forward with information are in essence a bit of a threat to those that would rather see the vast majority of people dismiss this kind of credible testimony with speculations of "in it for the money" and time speculations.

My father had some very interesting conversations from some friends whom he worked with when he was in the Civil Aviation at a well known UK airport, these friends he knew worked in the air traffic control tower and were radar operators and for one thing they must be on top of their game , its their lively hood to know what is flying in their respective air spaces.He and these friends of his were well aware of braking security oaths, like D10 notices ect.

[edit on 15/07/2010 by K-PAX-PROT]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts

Whether he monitored something he was unfamiliar with or not is no longer an issue. The amount of years that has gone by and the...uh...embellishments he has made that tell the story a little differently than I am sure the radar told him...well, sorry but you have to dismiss this guy.

So you don't take any history books seriously at all then? You believe virtually all history books are just , really *fairy tales*?

My father's tales of his wartime exploits and believe me he could write a book about them and his D Day experiences are detailed in the book "Stand by to beach". Have never been embellished over the year,s save for very personal details that took years for him to be even able to speak about.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by FireMoon]

top topics

join