It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has science been proven wrong more times then religion ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
In response to the topic question? Of course.

Further justification to rely on science? That's exactly what it's for.

We constantly re-evaluate and test scientific theories in order to ensure the most accurate possible picture of the universe. That's why you end up with "fringe science"; some ideas are too radical (or have been disproved before conception) that they seem unrealistic. There is no actual scientific consensus on the nature of the universe; no two scientists will have the same theories. Science, for all its objectivity, is inherently subjective.

For example, many ATS users feel that there must be other universes besides our own, including myself. I don't have any evidence, so until I do, it's a hypothesis; a baby theory, a neat idea.

For religion, on the other hand, there is no such ideological evolution. Outmoded theories do not change because new evidence disproves them. For an example of this, I'm a creationist, but that doesn't mean I think that the universe was formed in seven days or that all life was created in its exact and current form; evidence suggests otherwise. A hardline Christian, for an example, would disagree with that assessment, and may even be able to support evidence suggesting his beliefs to be true.

Science is what you make it. As my English teacher used to say, "Science is the daughter of philosophy and math". It's not an absolute value. Therefore, technically, it is never actually "wrong", because nobody can ever agree on which theory is correct. There are strong theories, yes, like Gravity. But then we have theories of the Higgs Boson's ilk.

In short, science is never right or wrong because, much like this post, it never actually answers the question.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreySwordsman
reply to post by badmedia

I don't believe I see a disagreement here.

Of course, I could be missing something. But that's impossible. I'm perfect.

No, I wasn't disagreeing. It was just a thought that entered my head that better explained the problem so I posted it.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Ok, I gotcha. I thought I was missing something, it seemed like you were urging me to see something differently. Good post!

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I'm sorry to all you religious fanatics but, I seem to find it very hard to believe in any higher power. In fact when someone supports their beliefs as apposed to the theory of evolution I can not help but smile, and shake my head. It just seems all too ridiculous to me that someone put us here by magic or w/e depending on beliefs. But that is the joy of living in the great United States of America. Believe what you want because your free to do so. Personally, I think any religion or form of creation is completely off the wall. Prove that Adam and Eve even lived to take an apple off the forbidden tree. Prove that there was a great flood and it rained for forty days and nights. Prove that the bible was written by god and not some average joe. Did I make my point? Science exists bases on being disproven and proven over and over. If you stack the proven facts against the proven facts of religion or creation, science prevails.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

The very first post after OP said it pretty neatly... It's better to have been proven wrong than never to have proven anything at all.

The only thing that religion has proved is that a lot of people on this Earth need hope to cope through life. Apart from that, religion has NEVER justified it's own exisitence. Stop treating faith like it consists of facts...
Faith= the belief in something which you cannont prove. (or in most cases care to prove...)

So yes, science has been proven wrong a lot of times, but at least it moved on.

[edit on 30/12/08 by flice]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join