It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stranded Galveston residents call in vain for rescues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Stranded Galveston residents call in vain for rescues

As Hurricane Ike pushed a swelling surge onto Galveston Island tonight, many Galveston residents who ignored a mandatory evacuation order phoned for rescues to no avail because emergency workers were called off the streets, officials said.

Galveston ordered an 8 p.m. curfew because 40 percent of the city's 58,000 residents ignored calls to evacuate. The curfew ends at 5 a.m. Saturday but will continue along the same schedule for Galveston and Pelican Island through Monday morning.

Forty percent stayed????

OMG.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I am not stalking you!!
I just have terrible insomnia and this is all over the news.

On Fox right now, they are talking to (or were) the police chief about this and there's only so many cops left on the island.

Why do people do this? Why do they stay? I know some are actually unable to leave, but c'mon.....personal responsibility comes into play here.

What do they expect the cops to do??

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Radar of the city
www.accuweather.com...

Looks like the eye is going to go right over them. But considering the history of the city and hurricanes, its really hard to believe that more residents wouldn't have evacuated.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Personal Opinion and just my personal ethics here but to answer this:

What do they expect the cops to do??

Their jobs...

The past few storms to hit here where I now work, I have always gone out patrolling, looking for stranded people... It's my job and why I do this....

When I went out this time, Tropical Storm/Hurricane Hannah, I was told by the County Police that I would be on my own and would have no backup as they were pulling the police in and only responding when it was a life threatening situation.

They don't work for me, so I just said ok, and went to do my usual patrol, looking for anyone that needed help...The officers that work for me were out as well...I have state jurisdiction, so I am able to go all over...

It's what I do and what a police officer should be doing.. Helping

Again, I do not speak for all police officers, just me and mine..

Semper

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This story seems to change by the hour, the level of desensitization is incredible! These are people that for what ever reason did not or could not leave, I have heard stories of folks not having the ability to leave, yes there are some that are so jaded by past warnings that they did not consider the surge to be as serious as it has and is playing out to be, but factor in the freaking full moon, and anyone who has ever lived near the ocean can attest to the fact that it plays a major role on the tides.

Ike has been wobbling its way towards the shore and it has now taken another jog to the north which helps where the eye will make land fall, but this is still an extrodinary weather related phenomena, this is NOT normal. If it can happen here it can happen anywhere in the world and most likely will in the comming years.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

That's fine and good, and I commend you on your actions, but these people in Galveston were subject to a mandatory evacuation. They didn't leave. And, now they find they need help.

Nasty bully of a storm, dangerous conditions, a small amount of cops.....and 40% of the residents ignored the mandatory evacuation.

Like I said, where's the personal responsibility (of those who were physically able to leave.....the cops should help those that weren't able to evacuate due to physical limitations)?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
This just shows how stupid people can be. Living in Texas, my local news has been swamped by this hurricane coverage. In the numerous interviews that I've seen, it seems that many people were underestimating the size and power of the storm. Also, many believed that the storm would make a last minute turn much like Hurricane Rita did. Then of course there are those that say that they've been through hurricanes before and will just "ride this one out" like they've done in the past.

I have no problem with individuals wanting to stay behind, that their choice. My concern is for the children who have no say this; who were forced to stay behind because their parents were too stupid to heed the warnings.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
On a scale of 1 to 10, the Galveston police chief is calling Ike a 10.

He's reporting hundreds of emergency calls that they could not respond to and anticipates terrible loss of life numbers.

The local radios are reporting the same.

First responders are still not able to do very much given the conditions.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Evolution in action - if you're too silly to heed the warnings...

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
My empathy is overwhelming, however, they were told over and over and over that this was a monster of a hurricane to get out.
In that area, they had the means to leave, the cars to leave, buses, people they know, bla bla bla.

This is one case where i dont blame authorities for not responding, they are also human lives with families, and it cannot be said that they were not warned--------

The warnings went all over the place as well as the nation. Some people think they're invincible, and they're not.

I feel terrible this morning for what could be a historic hurricane with much loss of life, but darn it, they were warned to get out.

There's only so much the authorities and first responders can do.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I agree. This is no Katrina.

I just can't believe that 40% IGNORED the evacuation warning.

What were those people thinking?

:shk:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
No sympathy whatsoever. As pointed out the warnings were in place and some people (in this case many) have chosen their own fate. Some were interviewed saying it was Gods will. Well I don't think God is gonna be on the other end of your 911 calls. You made your bed, now lie in it, in whatever tree it ends up in.

brill

new topics

top topics

join