It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galveston National Laboratory?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I'm surprised that I hadn't been aware of this previously. The local news just mentioned briefly a high security lab in Galveston that poses some concern.

The Galveston National Laboratory, or National Biocontainment Laboratory, is a sophisticated biomedical research facility where scientists will safely study infectious agents that either pose threats as naturally emerging diseases or are potential bioweapons. Constructed primarily with NIH funds, the two National Biocontainment Laboratories will house scientific research projects to develop and assess countermeasures (including new vaccines or therapeutics) to diagnose, prevent or effectively treat the infections these agents cause. The Galveston National Laboratory will include research space designated at biosafety levels 2, 3 and 4.

Galveston National Laboratory

It's been reported that the lab has destroyed the pathogens warehoused there. Although why they would wait until today to do this is beyond me.

(CNN) — A laboratory located in Galveston, Texas, and said to contain dangerous biological agents took measures Friday to secure the pathogens in the event of a strike by Hurricane Ike, officials said.

The Web site for the University of Texas Medical Branch/Galveston National Labs was completed and opened just recently.

It is one of the country’s five Level-IV biosafety laboratories, the highest level. Such laboratories typically handle pathogens like smallpox, tularemia and anthrax to develop vaccines and antidotes.

The laboratory followed protocols for shutting, said Gretchen Michael, a spokeswoman for the Department of Health and Human Services, citing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

She said that, for security reasons, she would not detail the procedures or describe the agents.

But Andrew Barlow, a spokesman for Governor Perry, said all the pathogens were destroyed before the staff evacuated.

CNN

I certainly hope that everyone at this lab did a good job today, it seems to me that a hurricane would be a rather effective means of distributing the pathogens this lab secures.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
What an odd place to house these pathogens. Perhaps they need to look into New Orleans for their next facility as I heard office space is going cheap. Hmmm.

ColoradoJens

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Types of pathogens to be studied: Anthrax, plague, hemorrhagic fevers (such as Ebola), typhus, West Nile virus, influenza, drug-resistant tuberculosis, among others.

I wonder which others.

GNL is one of several BSL-4, or Biosafety Level 4 labs in the country.

Biosafety Level 4 is required for work with dangerous and exotic agents that pose a high individual risk of aerosol-transmitted laboratory infections and life-threatening disease.

Edit for bb code.

[edit on 9/12/2008 by Unit541]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I did allot of research into this. It is scary, Biosafty level 4 labs are poping up all over the country due to 9-11/homeland security funding. Last checked there are over 12 and another hanfull proposed.

There is not a need for so many BSL-4. If anything, having so many puts all of our lives in danger due to the shear number of them, from leak to disease robbery. I know the average American does not know about this dangerious proliferation.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Wow! That was intelligent!

I hope the others are located on fault lines, the base of mud-slide prone hills and smack dab in the middle of tornado alley - that would also be smart.

Sometimes I cannot fathom the level of stupidity that results from over-bloated bureaucracy.

new topics

top topics

join