It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq was no mistake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
You've heard Iraq was just current president cleaning up the job left by his father, you've heard it was about WMDs, you've heard it was about the oil..have you heard from someone who has been there?

www.youtube.com...

Maybe it is about freedom..

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

Who's freedom is it about? Who has become more free as a result of the invasion. Before anyone claims it is Iraq, we need to remember that not only are they in the midst of a civil war but they also are occupied by a foreign nation. How anyone can claim that as freedom is beyond me...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I do think we need out of Iraq now..which is not to diminish the job our troops have done and continue to do. The US fears we leave and in comes a batch of terrorists or a takeover attempt by Iran. To me that is up to Iraq. If they all wanna strap on IEDs and blow themselves up that is now a choice. They could unite and choose freedom..With all the oil they have they could rebuild in no time. Far too many have died..

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Even if I buy into that argument, (which I don't) does that mean that the American people have an obligation to go around bringing democracy or "freedom" to the rest of the world? If so which country should be next, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, North Korea, Venezuela, Ethiopia...etc. ?

I'd like to ask this naive young man, where in the Constitution does it say that WE MUST DO THIS?

Why should the burden of correcting all the world's ills, be shouldered by us, with both American blood and treasure? It's time to WAKE up, and realize that the American people have to come first!!

Just saddens me to no end, when I see people like this young man not able to think critically and just toe the Neocon line. Poor kid

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Gateway]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Gateway,
I hear you completely..we do not need to police the world and offer democracy/freedom to any one.. I do think the billions spent on Iraq could have been spent here rebuilding our infrastructure and working on our economic problems. I wish we would leave completely now. Set a date in the near future - make Iraq step up. We have massive problems with deficit ect. Those things need attention. Last thing though is we do not need to continue with bailouts to every company under the sun.

On the flip side I am sure they fear China and Russia will move in and take precious oil from Iraq. Nothing is easy out there.
BP

[edit on 9/12/2008 by BlackProjects]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I don't think China or Russia ever had any plans of invading Iraq. I think even if they did, I don't think they would have had an easier time then we currently have. Can you imagine the problems they would have had? Mind you we still have our problems, but that's with the best military in the world.

We have to acknowledge that the invasion had little to do with freedom, since we helped sustain and supported the same awful regime that we brought down years later.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Gateway]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gateway

I am talking about now not the time we invaded. Yeah I hear on how we have supported horrible regimes..Yes, either would have more problems than we did should they have wanted those resources at that time.

We cannot correct those mistakes. We can only look forward and do what is right now. I say get out. In fact give up on Afghanistan also. I doubt Bin Ladin is alive anyway.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

BlackProjects, I think we are both agreeing to agree.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Gateway

By the way I dislike both candidates..Am embaressed they were deemed the best we had.. I do respect McCain's service and selection of Palin. Neither naturally born but that is another issue.
Still could be we are too far gone. I hope not

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackProjects
You've heard Iraq was just current president cleaning up the job left by his father, you've heard it was about WMDs, you've heard it was about the oil..have you heard from someone who has been there?

www.youtube.com...

You got to be joking kiddo! I think the Iraqis are sick to death of your Yankee brand of freedom imposed with the boot.

I wish your kind of person can see how mawkish and nonsensical your dogma is to the vast majority of thinking people around the world.

Finally the last person whose opinions I would tolerate would be a flag waving dofus who post his ignorant opinions on Youtube while confusing the obscenity of the invasion of Iraq with a local and irrelevant election on the other side of the world.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Russia went straight to Iran to give them Missile technology and nuclear abilities without question during the situation of America cleaning up extreamists regimes. Would Russia have done the same with Iraq and Saddam if America just attacked Afghanistan only? I think Russia and Iraq would have come to a deal with no problems. Then a war would have started with Iraq anyway. Saddam would probably have put them to use, but now the chest piece has moved to Iran with another nutjob in place.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
There was no real reason to invade Iraq other than to either distract the american people from Bush not bothering to catch Osama or him giving his oil buddies a lift.

The war was first about WMDs, and that was the first and only reason to invade Iraq, it was "urgent" according to Bush that we invade Iraq and overthrow the government. Yes confirmed by UN weapons inspectors, there was no WMDs, yet when the US continued its arrogant aggression, in the end they gound no WMDs,

When it became apparent this had nothing to do with WMDs, it became the war on terrorism. Nobody including Bushes microphone, Fox news, could explain as to why Iraq was connected to 9/11, only that Saddam was a badd person who treated his people badly, and they needed a regime change. Yes out of the 11 or so dictatorships around the world including those in Latin america, the backyard of the US, Iraq war singled out, when it because apparent that this was utter BS a new excuse came into place...

Now the war is about God, that God told Bush and his cronies to invade Iraq, no no the man doesnt need to explain to why, only that God told him so, and Mrs Palin fell right in line with this BS.

By the time this excuse was BS, americans were already so fatigued over war, sick and tired of hearing about it and the lies, and by the time people became a little bit more distracted, the excuse moved on to us fighting over there for freedom.

So tell me why on earth are we fighting in Iraq for freedom?

Why on earth are we not focusing on Osama?

Why is Osama off the FBIs most wanted list?

Why did Bush allow the Bin Laden family to leave american after sept 11th without questioning them? How is Iraq connected to 9/11?

why arent we liberating other nations in the world if we liberated Iraq?

Why was Bush wrong about WMDs?

Why does the story and reasoning behind Iraq continue to change?

How are the Iraqi people anymore free with their nation being occupied?

How can you call them free when it was only month ago that Bush refused to listen to the prime ministers plea of withdrawal from his nation?

Why is it that just because you are a republican, a conservative, you feel the need to cover Bushes ass? Why cant you speak out against him like everybody else for what is clearly LIES over the Iraq war.

Why are we wasting over $200million a day in a war that has no reason, a war wasted on, a war that only distracts us from the truth?

[edit on 12-9-2008 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The way they went out to change Iraq was not good in it self. I mean they should have gone in to get Saddam out without blowing so much up. I guess he had a lot of followers even though his evil plans were in stealth mode including his mass killings of his own people. He should have been dealt with back in the first Gulf war. I guess Iraq's reputation for Gassing Kuwait and trying to build the SuperGun was enough action to end his reign in the history books.

After 9/11 Saddam could not be trusted and Osama obviously could not either, America had to act because even if they attacked Afghanistan Iraq could have got involved too and was a risk. Its not good really on how it all came about, but can see why these measures came about out of paranoia for safety of the world.

Just my theory:
I am wondering if the Nuclear technology to Iran really came from Russia and Iran is pretending to buy from Russia, maybe they have both technologies hidden up their sleeves with the so called WMD from Iraq entering Iran. Or now it could mean that Iran has double what they really say they have and are conjuring up confusion for by threating Israel and causing a purposeful conflict of the UN attacking Terhan whilst they have hidden WMD smuggled from Saddam's Iraq as back up. This will also be a fullfilment of Iran's fantasy for the need to be attacked so they have an excuse to wipe out Isreal for a religious victory at all costs.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Okay, I will consider you idea of the war for freedom. But, what happen to the freedom for Rwanda what about the Freedom in Darfur. Your argument for the war being for freedom loses all credibility when those in power get to pick and choose who deserves freedom and who doesn't.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackProjects

On the flip side I am sure they fear China and Russia will move in and take precious oil from Iraq. Nothing is easy out there.

[edit on 9/12/2008 by BlackProjects]

you hit the ail right on the head...precious oil !!!

And who wants to have freedom like the US has ? Perhaps freedom like the US once HAD may be better

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This oil argument is so tired. Anyone who still believes we went to Iraq for oil is a nut job in my opinion.

If we went there to get their oil, wouldn't you think that we would have some oil in American right now? Instead, we have high prices, stations running out of gas, etc.

Of course, that's probably all just part of evil Bushs' plan to install a NWO and take over the world isn't it?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
We went into Iraq to get Saddam out because of the threats he made against Daddy Bush. Not for oil. WMD's was just the legit reason to do so. If we had wanted the oil we would have stayed in Iraq in the first war.

edit comments

[edit on 23-9-2008 by jam321]

new topics

top topics

join