It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weapons Of The Insurgents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This morning I was reading this months issue of popular mechanics,(I had to run home find a link and what not.LOL)I found this very intresting. The insurgents are in an modern day "David and Goliath". The weapons they use are no better than Bow and arrows, comparied to the armies of the world.

For people that believe in God and the bible is the truth, Could history be repeating it self? Or could the Bilbe be seeing in to the future, maybe the telling of David and Goliath was a seeing of the future.

popularmechanics.com...

In the age of night vision goggles and satellite-guided smart bombs, the wooden stock and rough handgrip of the RPG-7 make it seem only a slight technological advance over the bow and arrow. Mordica says the weapon traces its origin to the Panzerfaust tank buster that Germany developed for territorial defense toward the end of World War II. And that weapon, say military historians, was itself based on confiscated bazookas that had been used by the Allies.

www.g2mil.com...

The RPG-7 anti-tank grenade launcher is one of the most common and most effective infantry weapons in contemporary conflicts. It is rugged, simple and carries a lethal punch. Whether downing US Blackhawk helicopters in Somalia, blasting Russian tanks in Chechnya, or attacking government strong points in Angola, the RPG-7 is the weapon of choice for many infantrymen and guerrillas around the world.

www.fas.org...

The SA-7 GRAIL (Strela-2) man-portable, shoulder-fired, low-altitude SAM system is similar to the US Army REDEYE, with a high explsive warhead and passive infrared homing guidance. The HN-5 ( Hong Nu = Red Cherry ) is an improved Chinese version with upgraded capabilities. The SA-7 was the first generation of Soviet man portable surface-to-air missiles. Although classed as "fire and forget" types, the missiles were easily overcome by solar heat and, when used in hilly terrain, by heat from the ground

www.ifrance.com...

www.fpri.org...

The RPG-7 On the Battlefields of Today and Tomorrow

The RPG-7 anti-tank grenade launcher is one of the most common and most effective infantry weapons in contemporary conflicts. It is rugged, simple and carries a lethal punch. Whether downing US Blackhawk helicopters in Somalia, blasting Russian tanks in Chechnya, or attacking government strong points in Angola, the RPG-7 is the weapon of choice for many infantrymen and guerrillas around the world.

The RPG-7 is the lineal descendant of the World War II German Panzerfaust. It is relatively cheap, quite effective and found everywhere. The RPG-7 was adopted by the Soviet Armed Forces in 1961. Today, it is part of the TO&E of over 40 different countries' armies and several of these countries, besides Russia, are licensed to build their own.(1) Other manufacturers include Bulgaria, China, Iran, Iraq, Romania and Pakistan.

fmso.leavenworth.army.mil...
The RPG-7 is a shoulder-fired, muzzle-loaded, antitank and antipersonnel grenade launcher which launches a variety of fin-stabilized, oversized grenades from a 40mm tube. The launcher with optical sight weighs 6.9 kilograms (15.2 pounds) and has a maximum effective range of 300 meters against moving point targets and 500 meters against stationary point targets. The maximum range for antitank grenades against area targets is 920 meters, at which point the round self-destructs after its 4.5 second flight. The antipersonnel grenades reach over 1100 meters. Among the production grenades are the PG-7, PG-7M, PG-7N, and PG-7VL antitank grenades with armor penetrability of up to 600mm of rolled homogeneous steel. The PG-7VR is a tandem warhead designed to penetrate explosive reactive armor and the armor underneath. The OG-7 and OG-7M are high-explosive antipersonnel grenades.

Well, heres a start, if this has been done, so sorry. give me some input tell me what you think. Thanks

[edit on 19-10-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Best Defense
At present, the most promising plan for defending troops against insurgents' rocket and missile attacks is called FCLAS. The abbreviated acronym stands for "full spectrum active protection close-in layered shield," which in itself is an explanation of how it works. FCLAS is an antimissile missile in a tube. Strategically placed around a vehicle, boat, building or helicopter, these missiles create a sort of invisible shield that detects and then demolishes incoming threats.

The idea behind FCLAS is simple in concept but difficult in execution. The forward section of the FCLAS projectile houses two radar systems. The radar at the front looks forward for objects whose speed is consistent with an RPG-7 round or missile. When this threat is detected, a black powder charge, like that used to launch smoke grenades, ignites, propelling the FCLAS out of its storage tube. The second radar system looks up, down and to both sides.

The launch of the FCLAS projectile is timed so that it and the incoming target will pass each other when they are about 15 ft. from the vehicle being protected. At this precise moment, the side-looking radar senses the passing threat and ignites the explosive material that fills the middle of the projectile. The force fractures the explosive's metal sheath.

Scored lines in the sheathing cause it to shatter into tiny square-shaped shards that radiate outward. Anything in the path of this doughnut-shaped wall of fast-moving metal is shredded into confetti.

popularmechanics.com...

Collateral Damage
A chilly wind heavy with the scent of snow is blowing across the test range at Camp W.G. Williams near Salt Lake City, Utah. PM has been invited to observe the first in a series of live-fire fragmentation tests. Because FCLAS is used close to the vehicles and people it is intended to protect, it is critical to know just how far the destructive "doughnut" created when an FCLAS explodes will extend. The Army has already seen a convincing demonstration of the projectile's ability to detect and knock down incoming threats. That test was conducted in June 2002 at the New Mexico Institute of Technology.

Killing an RPG-7 round requires considerable energy. "That's nasty stuff. You can't throw a pillow at it," says Don Walton of California-based Chang Industries, which developed the FCLAS radar systems. The open question is how much collateral damage is caused in the immediate vicinity of the detonation.

A junked car, battered SUV, and dummies in flak jackets to simulate drivers and bystanders are set up around the test site, shown in the high-speed photo above. Inside a trailer protected from the explosion by a natural ridge, there is a brief countdown before detonation. The air cracks and the floor jumps as if a lightning bolt has struck nearby. Through the window, we watch a plume of gray and black smoke form over the ridge and drift from the blast. After the blast, the dummies are still standing. Both vehicles have had their windows blown out. Several tires have been punctured. It is a far cry from the damage inflicted by an RPG-7 round or SA-7 warhead that hits home.

popularmechanics.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
nice, id vote you for my way above but it doesnt seem to be working...

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterofpuppets
nice, id vote you for my way above but it doesnt seem to be working...

Thank you Sir. Its seems to be my luck sometimes.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
We see this new uprising in Iraq.They have said that now the are going to be moving to Bagdad(sp) in the next couple of days, and for the people of Iraq to stay off the streets. So I have to go back to this thread to show the weapons they are using.

I have added some New weapons to this thread in this post. Going back to my first thoughts about this. This is a hugh battle, Why do the Insurgent think they have a chance against the US and the other countries?

This link is to an Ak47 manual.
www.fortunecity.com...

Designed by Mikhail T. Kalashnikov, the first AK47s had a receiver that was part machined steel and part stampings with rivets holding everything together. This design proved to be less than robust in the field and was modified several times to gradually create a much tougher firearm.

In 1959 a tough, well-thought-out model of the AK was introduced which again used steel stampings which were riveted together. This proved to be a superior design and is the key variant seen in all modern versions of this rifle manufactured in Russia. This model was designated the AKM (Avtomat Kalashnikova Modernizirovannyi) though many times it, too, is referred to as an "AK47" (as are the semiauto versions of the gun exported into the US).
members.cox.net...

www.ofbindia.com...
The three primary types of mortar fires are as follows:

High explosive. High-explosive rounds are used to suppress or kill enemy dismounted infantry, mortars, and other supporting weapons, and to interdict the movement of men, vehicles and supplies in the enemy's forward area. Bursting WP rounds are often mixed with high-explosive rounds to enhance their suppressive and destructive effects.

Obscuration. Obscuration rounds are used to conceal friendly forces as forces maneuver or assault, and to blind enemy supporting weapons. Obscuration can be used to isolate a portion of the enemy force while it is destroyed piecemeal. Some mortar rounds use bursting WP to achieve this obscuration; others employ more efficient technology. Bursting WP is also used to mark targets for engagement by other weapons, usually aircraft, and for signaling.
www.fas.org...

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It would be easy for our forces to just drop bombs and kill everything to win. I think , if the insurgents had night vision they would stand a better chance of defending there stance in Fallujah.

The armed forces, said today that they have not yet started to move. I dont think we even seen it In the war a year ago, A full assault of our forces.

I still think at the rate this is going, it is going to get to the point of kill them all, or leave. Then the insugents win the last two years a waste.

And they might lose to some bow&arrows.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I have to bring this up again, Why is our forces having such a hard time?

Any one can be beaten, I guess no matter what kind of advantage.

[edit on 12-11-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Excellent post. In many cases terrorists probably could get better weapons. But the key reason why the AK-47 and RPG-7 are so widely used is that they have been proven to be effective and reliable. Currently some US forces still use M-2's which were first made in 1933. Even though a nice German submachine gun such as the MP5 might seem more effective an AK-47 is more sutible for extended periods of outdoor combat. Anyhow nice post.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
You also have to think about

1. Resupply of ammunition.

2. Familiarity with the weapon system.

3. Ease of concealment.

4. Ease of sourcing systems.

At present you can buy almost anything in Baghdad, no matter what the military say. I picked up 2 new MP5's today with 8 mags and 500 rounds apiece, for just under $3000.

An AK will set you back $200 and comes with 3 or 4 mags.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
This post is over 9 months old ans the bad guys are still alive, even.

David is giving Goliath a run for his money.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I wrote this in march last year, and it still stands true.

The weaponry isn't going to make the outcome, the people are.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
It would be easy for our forces to just drop bombs and kill everything to win.

Please tell me you don't seriously believe that.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T

I agree, it would be easy just to drop say, a MOAB or a daisy cutter or a bunker buster or a tomahawk missile etc. The problem is that they aren't that accurate, destroy a large area and very expensive. I agree that they shouldn't do that, but it really would get the job done, but at what cost, both with money, but more importantly, innocent life.

I do think killing is wrong, but the trouble is that tazers can't go through the window of a carbomb, or be reloaded easily.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
electricity+explosive=boom, apex

Now, I loves me the tazers...but the RPG is simply an outstanding weapon. I mean, simply outstanding. Simple as hell, cheap to produce, and effective against a fair amount of everything. Now, you can go on about high technology all you want, but the best gun in the world won't save you from a man beating your skull in with a rock.

DE

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
the only problem with this is, any weapon can be traced back to old weapons, guns=crossbow, missles=catapult, tank=balista, we have yet to invent a completly new weapon, so yea id say we are still fighting with the past but i wouldnt compare it to david and goliath, my reasons. Our goverment, believe it or not, doesnt issue out the strongest and hardest hitting guns to our soilders, simply because they say it is more conventional (bs), the iraqis weapons can actually pack more of a punch not just in sheer strength but how easy it is to maintain one of these weapons, then our infantry standard issues, also, they use un-conventional warfare like road side bombs and suicide bombs, we dont, we are straight up shoot them or be shot, the military does go out of the box at times, but we still always climb back in it.

[edit on 23-8-2005 by demonhunter]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Why wouldnt I, we seen what happen in Japan with just two bombs.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   

So you honestly think that if we nuke Baghdad, Basra, and maybe Kabul, the insurgents and terrorists would pack up and go home.

Japan had a government, and they were a nation at war with another nation. Trying to wipe out insurgents and terrorists with nukes is like trying to wipe out an ant colony with a handgun.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

So you honestly think that if we nuke Baghdad, Basra, and maybe Kabul, the insurgents and terrorists would pack up and go home.

Trying to wipe out insurgents and terrorists with nukes is like trying to wipe out an ant colony with a handgun.

You are so missing the point. I dont think nuke should be used at all.

If someone nuked baghdad, I do think it would stop there for one big reason, nuclear fall out.

The home base could got to any of the place you metioned, but the war in iraq has just turned to the war on terror. The war that ended two years ago march was not the war on terror. Dont get insurgent and terrorist mistaken, yes alot of the insurgents are terrorist but only because the terrorist was the only one whiling to help.

If the US was invaded we the non military would be insurgents, or minute-men. Same Idea diffent name. Please dont take me as not supporting my troops or the US, because I do.
I dont support lies for war, and war being changed with a slight of hand before our eyes.

top topics

join