It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS privacy...Myth or Fact

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I received this U2U regarding the ATS claim to privacy.

"For years we've been saying that the privacy of our members and users is important to us, and now, we've actually gone and put our money where our mouth is, and certified AboveTopSecret.com through TRUSTe, the largest independent organization certifying the privacy of users online"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That being said, as a member, I then came across the thread listed below regarding political trolling and site activity. What came to mind was that this was a disclosure of submitting networks, and that our privacy was being violated.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

While I can respect the site owners want to control some of the crazy stuff that gets posted here, I also have to hold them to their word that every aspect of our privacy is to be held.

I dont care who smartech is, nor what it is. What I do know, is that I now have smartech as a name, and should they be contacted, they may or may not appreciatte being subject to disclosure of their activity on your site...

That skepticoverlord saw fit to even disclose a screen shot of any submitting networks blows me away even more...

As a member, that upholds as best I can the standards of this site, in accordance with your telling us our privacy is certified, that whatever network I use, or otherwise is private. If there is any part of that statement that isnt clear, then please, mods, owners or otherwise, Im all ears. Clarify away...

You can flame and justify all you want, but when you name network traffic submission, you give anyone that has the capability to monitor that network traffic a place to start.

Peace

[edit on 12-9-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY

That skepticoverlord saw fit to even disclose a screen shot of any submitting networks blows me away even more...

SO was just employing the "no secrets" policy that we all discuss here. Best to have it in the open from the off, than for someone to find out letter and have a fit.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I trust ATS as much as I trust any other website I occupy. I believe that the management here has taken every step they can to help protect our anonimity and privacy. There is even a yellow highlighted statement each time we post, reminding us of the vulnerability of the web, and how we should not share personal info.

I do not rely upon web system or websites to protect my privacy. That is my responsibility alone. I share what my instincts tell me is okay to, and I hide that which my hunchs tell me is foolish to share.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
I do not rely upon web system or websites to protect my privacy. That is my responsibility alone. I share what my instincts tell me is okay to, and I hide that which my hunchs tell me is foolish to share.

Good advice to any internet user or otherwise.

The promise by ATS regarding our privacy was a hollow assurance.

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

If it is indeed a 'hollow assurance', then by all means file a complaint.

That is the point. We have a third party entity who will field complaints regarding privacy infringments.

Which is why we do not infringe on your privacy. Period.

Please, look into the issue prior to making unsubstantial accusations.

If you would like to continue this, please post in the ATS Issues Thread.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

new topics

top topics

join