It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

kentucky gas price !!!!$5.80 a gallon

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

I would just like to say something. I'm a UK citizen, moved to the US when I was 7. Most of my family lives in the UK. The difference between the UK and US gas/petrol price is this: England has one of the best public transportation systems.....you can get anywhere by train, tube, bus, bike, etc....the country is tiny. In the US you HAVE to have a car. At least most people do. Unless you live in a big city then your public transport is non existant.

I live in the panhandle of Maryland. Gas right now is $3.79 at the lowest, with most being $3.89. It might not seem like a lot to a UK citizen but consider this. I live in a mountainous, snowy area. We have to have a truck to get around.....so we need more gas than most. And probably fill up more than most. I live in a town of 3,000 people. We have no public transportation at all. They got rid of our bus line years ago, there isn't a train system, or cabs. So if you don't have a car then you are totally immobile.

In the UK we lived in Stretford....we didnt have a car. We didn't need one. Dad biked to work. We took trains everywhere...or walked, or took a bus.

Our country is HUGE. The UK can be traversed quickly. I guess what I'm saying is that if I did live in the UK I wouldn't complain about the gas. I'd just take advantage of the public transportation systems. You have probably the best in the world.

I guess that's why we in the US complain so much---a lot of us have no choice but to drive everywhere.....so we use a lot of gas. And when you are filling up over and over again it adds up quickly. My family in England is always scoffing at me when I complain about gas...then I go into my explanation of how it is really worse for us....the majority of them don't need a car, the majority of us here in the US do.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Well, back here in NC, most stations still out. One station I stopped in on my way home had a tanker filling it up. I said to the cashier "Back in business, huh?" She replied, "For a day or two until it runs out again. I don't know when we'll get another delivery". So, that's the situation on the ground here for now. Supply lines seem to be strained at the moment, and we are well out of any actual effect from the hurricane. Gas is hard to come by, the attorney general of the state is suing over price gouging....pretty ugly at the moment!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It's all speculation. Gas went up $0.10 in the city and $0.04 outside. The city dropped back down that 10 cents today.

Unfortunate because Oil just dropped AGAIN. There is no reason for gas above $2.50 anywhere other than pure mass gouging profit.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Tom_Proctor]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Small town south Georgia here... gas has been OUT for a week and prices still around $4.12. The stations that do have gas in the surrounding areas are PACKED constantly. I'm not understanding this.

Many Gulf Coast refineries shut down production as a precaution before the storm and may remain shuttered for days, even if they were not damaged, because of power outages. Federal government officials have said Ike destroyed at least 10 oil and gas platforms and damaged pipelines in the Gulf of Mexico.

But that represents only a small portion of the 3,800 production platforms in the Gulf and pales in comparison to the catastrophic damage to energy infrastructure doled out by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita three years ago.

"Lines are back up and running at reduced rates," said Steve Baker, spokesman for Colonial Pipeline in suburban Atlanta, which normally supplies 100 million gallons of petroleum products a day to the South and East Coast. "We've got power and staff at virtually every facility of ours. We're just ready and taking advantage of the supplies we can get on line."

I'm pretty sure all 3,800 aren't currently shut down. I've also read the damage to the fuel production process by Ike was minimal. Where's all the gas!?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Gas in Michigan has returned to normal!!! (by normal I mean before the latest hike in prices that brought prices close to $5/gal) it is still 5 cents or so more per gal than what I paid before the hurricane, but I am glad to report it is under the $4 mark
Hopefully it will go even lower *crosses fingers*

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join