It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epidemic - North-America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I was just looking on another thread and i clicked on a link and i kept following it and i found his apparenbtly theyre a epidemic in canada started today and 13 people have been killed already.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

I dont know wether it means something like a weathr hting or anything like that tbh but i hope this isnt a real big time medical epidemic

[edit on 4/20/2008 by billyjoinedat2k8]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I suspect it may be an update on this reported case of food poisoning?

levlista.rsoe.hu...

Maybe someone from Canada could confirm/deny?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

Crap...13 dead? Whats the virus?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I live in Alberta and we have not heard of this. if it is a case of food poisoning then we have nothing to worry about.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I dont know if its a virus or not tbh i dont know if its a hoax or not but if its real then thats kinda bad since it started supposedly today and nearly 50 people have been affected and 13 died already

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

I am quoting here:

A person died of listeriosis in Ottawa Monday and public health officials are probing whether the death is linked to a recent outbreak that has killed 13 people across the country. Dr. Isra Levy, Ottawa's medical officer of health, said the death was the city's first fatal case of listeriosis this year. Listeriosis is a food-borne illness caused by the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes. A single strain linked to 13 deaths has been traced to a Maple Leaf Foods meat processing plant in Toronto. Another 38 cases of the disease have been linked to the outbreak and two dozen more were under investigation on Monday, the Public Health Agency of Canada reported. A long list of products made at the plant have been recalled. The Ottawa case was reported to the public health department on Aug. 28. However, further tests are required to determine whether it was caused by the strain that originated from the Toronto plant. Levy said that sporadic cases of listeriosis do occur, and over the past three or four years, there has been about one listeriosis-related death in the city each year.

Here is info on listerosis from the CDC:

www.cdc.gov...

Nothing to worry about:

How great is the risk for listeriosis?

In the United States, an estimated 2,500 persons become seriously ill with listeriosis each year. Of these, 500 die. At increased risk are:

* Pregnant women - They are about 20 times more likely than other healthy adults to get listeriosis. About one-third of listeriosis cases happen during pregnancy.
* Newborns - Newborns rather than the pregnant women themselves suffer the serious effects of infection in pregnancy.
* Persons with weakened immune systems
* Persons with cancer, diabetes, or kidney disease
* Persons with AIDS - They are almost 300 times more likely to get listeriosis than people with normal immune systems.
* Persons who take glucocorticosteroid medications
* The elderly

Healthy adults and children occasionally get infected with Listeria, but they rarely become seriously ill.

-Kdial1

[edit on 12-9-2008 by kdial1]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This is a really bad case of food poisoning, a company called Maple Leaf Meats is responsible, it has been going on for about 3 weeks now, all of there products have been pulled off the shelves, they do not sell to the U.S and I believe that there are 16 confirmed deaths.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

So its just a bad case of food poisoning.

i suppose thats good glad it isnt anything more serious

thanks for the heads up

thread closed then.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Try this link as well

Public Health Agency of Canada.

Update: September 11, 2008 - 16:00 (EST) The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) continues to collaborate with provincial and local health authorities in affected provinces, Health Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to investigate cases of Listeriosis with the same genetic fingerprint (strain). The following table indicates the latest number of confirmed and suspected cases of Listeriosis broken down by province.

Do remember this in the news a while ago something about bad cheese in Quebec.

new topics

top topics

join