It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia: S Ossetia 'was our 9/11'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

english.aljazeera.net

Dmitry Medvedev, Russia's president, has said Georgia's attack in August on the pro-Russian breakaway region of South Ossetia was his country's equivalent of the September 11 attacks on the United States in 2001.

He told atendees: "Immediately after the events in the Caucasus, it occurred to me that August 8 was for us almost what 9/11 was for the United States."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Russia's 9/11? Hardly.

Maybe in terms of surprise attack. But the losses of which occurred during the outbreak of Russian retaliation don't even begin to compare to those that the United States lost on September 11th, 2001. I seriously doubt there will ever be an outpouring of public support like America seen after it's attack. Also, will Russian's remember where they were for the rest of their lives when they heard of the attacks? Maybe.

Thinking in terms of global strategy and future politics, I think maybe this could be seen as Russia's 9/11. With the West seemingly aligning itself against Russia with it's missile defense shield and Russia's counter actions to this I can very much see Russia shifting it's policies for protecting it's interest, much like th United States did after 9/11.

I find it humorous that Medvedev pointed out that Russia has no "imperial ambitions". It's kind of a slap in the face of the U.S.'s foreign policy regarding nation building in Iraq and Afghanistan.

english.aljazeera.net

[edit on 12-9-2008 by tyranny22]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Another article from timesonline.com regarding the policy shift of Russia after the Georgian attack.

President Medvedev of Russia today likened last month’s war with Georgia to the September 11 terrorist attacks on America, and vowed that the Kremlin would go to any lengths in future to protect its regional interests and Russian citizens everywhere.

I guess in regards to future global politics, this could indeed be seen as Russia's 9/11. Also in regards to "protecting" Russian citizens. Can anyone smell a Bureau of Motherland Security being formed in Russia?

[edit on 12-9-2008 by tyranny22]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
But nobody attacked Russia on 8th of august! What is he talking about?
If they are locked on cold war (together with certain Western forces) - then these poor excuses and non-comparisons are actually making their point weaker. Russia without imperial ambitions is annexing part of another country. Imperial America - not. I am glad that these guys have sense of humor, shame that it is the same Stalin's irony though.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Russia without imperial ambitions is annexing part of another country. Imperial America - not.

Watch what would happen if (hypothetically, I must say) Russians install some kind of antimissile radar system in Cuba, an airstrip in Mexico and a long-range bomber bases in Venezuela.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I KNEW IT!!!!! I posted this on 8-14-08

Check out my thread!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12-9-2008 by '___'eed]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I think that few will argue that last several years there is NATO/US expansion to the East. But how exactly this "08/08/08" will make Russia immune to it? If NATO/radars/missiles were the real issue then the solution was not to make the neighbors involved enemies - but the opposite. I am not talking about Poland or Baltic states - there is real hate so US bases would still appear there in any case. But much later, when Russian economy could be stronger. But Georgia,Ukraine - if it is not imperial ambitions , but a fear from NATO - then all decisions of Russian leadership were counterproductive. NATO (and eventually US bases) will go there because elites (and large percentage of population) are scared of "piece keeping" with passports tricks. So Russian bases as a response will be in Venezuela. Or even Cuba (doubt it - it will be very stupid. Cuban crisis 2 is something both sides should avoid).
Cold war is coming back, didn't you notice?
Do you really believe that pre-war behavior in Caucasus by Russian forces/diplomacy was there for peacekeeping purpose only? Passports are given by all peacekeepers? Only one side is supported and armed ... If there really was no desire to get land back - then it fooled me (which is easy) and ,much more important, it fooled Georgians,Ukrainians,EU,US.. All except Nicaragua.
People who responsible for this diplomatic fiasco should be fired. Were they?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'eed

I saw your thread just before I posted this. But, yours was more of a reference toward Russia perpetrating a false flag operation on it's own people ... similar to the Reichstag fire that launch Germany into a "retaliatory" preemptive invasion of Poland.

I decided to start a new thread being that this was a news article taking a direct quote from Russia's President.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22

english.aljazeera.net

Dmitry Medvedev, Russia's president, has said Georgia's attack in August on the pro-Russian breakaway region of South Ossetia was his country's equivalent of the September 11 attacks on the United States in 2001.

He told atendees: "Immediately after the events in the Caucasus, it occurred to me that August 8 was for us almost what 9/11 was for the United States."

LOL as much as Germany during Ww2 was justified in attacking poland.....

All honestly this isnt the Sept 11 for Russia. Russia got angery we were playing in their backyard. I understand that, The US would react in a similar fashion.

This is basically the indirect proxy fighting of the cold war only in modern times. I expect it might be more difficult for the US to counter Russia's moves economically now, since we are in debt to our eyeballs, any move to counter their influence will no doubt include indirect military support. I'm thinking if things get worse in South Oessetia, it will go into a full out regional war, and would sound alot like the Vietnam or Korea war. We would indirectly support the Georgians against the Russian's, the Russians in turn would aid Venezuela, and Iran.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by StealthHawk]

top topics

join