It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers attack Large Hadron Collider

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I'm not really surprised that people would want to hack CERN. The thoughtless language used by CERN scientists has been heard by pretty much everyone here, and the media has helped propegate the idea that their view on the collider machine is that "It may possibly open a black hole and yes possibly it could destroy the earth if it did"

Scientists really need to work on their public image. Each major body such as CERN should let the speaking be done through someone who understands both the public and science.

Though my own personal opinion about this, good on the hackers. I think anyone risking destroying the earth, no matter how minute the possibility is a complete waste of space. When this world is destroyed it will be the fault of scientists.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by unnamedninja]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalapadea

Originally posted by Reddupo

Are you trying to say CERN created the internet?

Yea, basically. Tim Berners-Lee is the person truly credited for inventing the world wide web, and he worked at CERN

CERN did not create the Internet, even by your definition, you gave the creator a name.

I don't think 2600 really did it. 2600's been pretty quiet lately... (In which case I'd consider 2600, but we've been pretty quiet for the past 3 or 4 years).

So are you apart of 2600? Or, just want too run around in circles, much like your reply?

Go to barnes and noble, pick up a copy of 2600, and see what I mean. Most of the articles are written with a disclaimer saying things like "Don't do this for malicious reasons". The timing is the big hint here, 2600 likes to stay behind the scenes, not doing something out in the open (on the big day).

So, you still refer too 2600 as being an outside entity, "..not doing something out in the open...", WOW.

Regardless, I'm glad they didn't blow anything up on the big day while tests were being run, and it should teach the teams to keep their security locked tight.

Now you refer too them as "they"....

You are a poser and have no affiliation too 2600.

I will sleep better tonight.

Fox.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
LOL..

I AM 2600!!!!!!

FEAR THE COFFFEE WICH IS ABOUT TO SPILL ON MY COMPUTER!!!!!

Words with no capitalization!!!!!!!

So mods dont get angree111!!!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
CERN likes to take credit for creation of the WWW. It was trying to build this very system of connected pysicists for this current project, that spurred Tim Berners-Lee to create the actual "clink on a link" and "http" format that we recognize as the WWW.

So I'd say that while ARPANET was the founding idea behind it, Tim could be credited with the current incarnation of the WWW, and he was working for CERN when he created the link idea. But he was working for MIT when he came up with the HTTP bit.

So CERN had a definate hand in creating it, but was not the sole creator really, nor was it finalized there.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
So they really took it over, thats crazy, really....really....well we all saw 300, so i gues 2600 might be a little more, lets hope there not spartans, could get ugly. Well if someone did take it over, its still gonna go through right, cause, well the whole Higgs Particle, thought theyd be pretty cool to find out. really?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Is anyone else rooting for the Hackers? lol...

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ufossydney

Unless I am misreading this story, the author of the article speculates that the hackers were one step away from the controls rather than a spokesperson from CERN making that claim.

I could be wrong but from what I understand, the data collection is completely separate from the regulating controls and the facility was not at any real risk, but there was a potential of some data being rendered useless by corruption or contamination. And by that I mean the data being contaminated, not the collider. This type of hacking only tends to increase the cost of operation and little else.

On the lighter side, hackers do perform a service in exposing vulnerabilities of a system. And I do not recall any hacker discovering a vulnerability that couldn’t be fixed, once exposed.

I speculate that the mentality at work here was something along the line of: Gee wiz Bobby, with over 24 million points of access, we just gotta be able to find a way to get into their system and make it do something REALLY cool, like print out the words “Go Rangers”.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Funny though,i'd expect a group of hackers being more clever than "a huge black hole is gonna suck us in,we have to stop it!!1".Except if they did it just for fame. (i think hackers do things like that just to show off)

Other than that,i too agree with rocksolidbrain.

Why when anything happens in this world people automatically think about the end of the world anyway..??

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Hope they are caught, and live the rest of their miserable lives in an isolation ward...

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Anyone else think that the 'hackers' don't actually exist and this could just be a way of shutting the public out of the LHC by 'taking down' their web page?

Anyone else have their reservations about CERN and the LHC?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
Anyone else think that the 'hackers' don't actually exist and this could just be a way of shutting the public out of the LHC by 'taking down' their web page?

Anyone else have their reservations about CERN and the LHC?

Only at ATS...

Hackers exist, and this type of thing happens all the time. I remember a few months ago I stumbled across youtube and it just happened to have been hacked. It had "All your base are belong to us" next to a manipulated Logo and a reference to some team.

Gray hat hacking

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I sincerely doubt the Protons have head on collisions at light speeds in nature. They are positively charged and repel one another.
This brings into extreme doubt the CERN claim that: [ This happens every day, so there is no chance that a black hole will open and remain open. ]

They were unable to make the Atomic Bomb for a very long time because the protons kept missing one another. They switched to using neutral particles, Neutrons, and KaBOOM!

Under what conditions do protons reach light speed in nature?
Scientists do not know how protons reach light speed in nature. They are found at that speed, but scientists do not know the source.

If you don't know the source, how can you be so certain that they collide?
If you can witness them colliding in nature, why build the LHC.

The lies throw off more loose ends than a proton collision.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Wow, can only wonder what some hackers can do. Their knowledge is truly amazing, experts of their trade, but then again that is kinda scary. Great post.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by macr59

I agree totally!! I mean , come on there has to some kind of IT security!!!!! Not to start another rumor or add to the media hype, but it kind of makes you think,......mmm I wonder what else they overlooked. Something that obvious to overlook means to me that maybe they have been in a rush all along to meet deadlines. It defiantly makes me wonder about CERN and it’s safety program. Not to mention this is going to be fuel for every skeptic out there.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sqid4life

Maybe you're right about rushing to meet the deadlines.
In any subject,when people tend to do that something always gets neglected (and maybe screwed up too).

But why there would be any deadlines about it anyway?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Who can say anything...NOBODY KNOWS WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN...THIS IS THE MOST RIDICULOUS PROJECT IN HUMAN EXISTENCE. IT TOTALLY IGNORES THE POWER AND UNPREDICTABILITY OF THE UNIVERSE. THE EVEN IDEA THAT THESE SCIENTISTS CAN ASSUME ANYTHING IS DISTURBING. THIS IS A SCIENTIFIC BONER AND SHOULD BE SMASHED...IT IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT TO PRESERVE THE FUTURE OF OUR PLANET THAN TO UNLOCK THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE. OUR FRAGILE MINDS CAN NOT CONCEIVE THE POWER OF THIS FUSION...THESE QUESTIONS ARE RIDICULOUS...YOU THINK WERE JUST GOING TO REACH OUT AND PLAY AROUND IN EXTRA DIMENSIONS BASES ON MAN MADE SCIENTIFIC THEORY...THE KEY WORD IS THEORY...QUANTUM MECHANICS IS BASED ON ASSUMPTION...SOMETHING WITH THIS MAGNITUDE SHOULD BE APPROACHED WITH FACTS...THAT FACT BEING...WE KNOW NOTHING...AND THATS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME yeah...an unimaginable amount of energy...kinda like colliding particles at the speed of light?...stephen hawking doesn't care about human kind...the world has been cruel and unusual to him...Leave it a blowhardy scientific cripple to reject the empathetic understanding of the value of human life....These experiments have ZERO benefits for our existance...its playing with the very fabric of matter...In a universe created in chaos and unexplainable and unimaginable force and complexity how on gods green earth does Stephen Hawking think were just going to play around with that type of power...SHUT IT DOWN

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join