It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The $6 Billion LHC Circus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Some harsh criticism from Wall Thornhill in relation to the experiment that has the attention and imagination of the world. I'm a fan of Wall's, he's no slouch and is somewhat of a silent achiever to say the least. As part of the Thunderbolts group he has made an astonishing amount of correct predictions in the last several years.
I'm inclined to agree not simply because of Wall, others have lead me to similar conclusions.

I'd like to hear what others think will happen? What implications will be made etc.. and I will add a few predictions of my own and in some months time we can see how we faired. In the interest of fun only of course.

The “God Particle” or Higgs boson was invented by Peter Higgs to explain why other particles exhibit mass. He starts with assuming the existence of a particle that has only mass and no other characteristics, such as charge. So the Higgs particle is like no other in our experience, since all normal matter is composed of electric charges that respond to electromagnetic influences. (Dark matter falls into the same category.) However, we observe that the mass of a charged subatomic particle is altered by the application of electromagnetic forces. At its simplest (and Nature is economical in our experience) it indicates that mass is related to the storage of energy within a system of electric charges inside the particle. That’s what E = mc2 is telling us. So how can a massive particle be constructed without electric charge? It shows the problem inherent in leaving physics to mathematicians — there is a disconnect between mathematical concepts and reality.

The notion that subatomic particles exhibit mass as a result of their interaction with imaginary Higgs particles occupying all of empty space like some form of treacle should have caused a sceptical uproar, if it weren’t for the appalling apathy of the public toward such nonsense. The ‘annihilation’ and ‘creation’ of matter is invoked when particles at particular points arise from ‘fields’ spread over space and time. Higgs found that parameters in the equations for the field associated with his hypothetical particle can be chosen in such a way that the lowest energy state of that field (empty space) is not zero. With the field energy non-zero in empty space, all particles that can interact with the Higgs particle gain mass from the interaction.

This explanation for the phenomenon of mass should have been stillborn if common sense was used. To begin, the annihilation and creation of matter is forbidden by a principle of physics. It is tantamount to magic. Second, field theory is a purely imaginary construct, which may or may not have physical significance. And third, it is not explained how the Higgs particle can have intrinsic mass but no charge and yet interact with normal matter, which has charge but is said to have no intrinsic mass. Rather than explain the phenomenon of mass, the theory serves to complicate and confuse the issue. The most amazing feature of this $6 billion experiment is the confused and illogical thinking behind it.

www.holoscience.com...

I think extremely short lived smaller particles will be observed suggesting another smaller level of atomic structure, but no definitive connection to mass will be made and it will still probably be called the Higgs particle.

It may cause some chaos in the scientific community with theories being tossed around that will be short lived as opinion falls inline with the coordinators of the project. Alternatively I would hope it would cause a radical rethink however I'm not betting on that one.

It will raise more questions and the Big Bang theory will be altered once again.

The most interesting thing about this to me is the amount of attention it's getting, with people on the street talking about it! Perhaps with so many focused on it we may see something bizarre after all, we'll see.

join