It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin Links Iraq to Sept. 11 In Talk to Troops in Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Palin Links Iraq to Sept. 11 In Talk to Troops in Alaska

www.washingtonpost.com

FORT WAINWRIGHT, Alaska, Sept. 11 -- Gov. Sarah Palin linked the war in Iraq with the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, telling an Iraq-bound brigade of soldiers that included her son that they would "defend the innocent from the enemies who planned and carried out and rejoiced in the death of thousands of Americans."

The idea that the Iraqi government under Saddam Hussein helped al-Qaeda plan the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, a view once promoted by Bush administration officials, has since been rejected even by the president himself. But it is widely agreed that militants allied with al-Qaeda have taken root in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
SIGH!!!

How many times are we going to hear the same old tired lies that this administration used to hawk this war?

This a false charge that even dick cheney had to finally stop using.

Its the same old same old fear mongering at its most odious.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

The last sentence of the snippet from the source says it all. The Gov. addressed the troops being deployed to Iraq, but I feel she was referring to AQ in Iraq ...not suggesting that Iraq(i's) had a hand in the WTC attack.

It is what one reads into it, I guess.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by pyrytyes

AQ in Iraq has nothing to do with 9/11 and everything to do with the U.S. invasion as the article clearly points out.

Had Gov.Palin been living under a rock the past 3 years? She either doesn't know anything about foreign affairs or is straight up lying again.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
From the snippet:
" But it is widely agreed that militants allied with al-Qaeda have taken root in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion."

These, I believe are ..."the enemies who planned and carried out and rejoiced in the death of thousands of Americans.", to which she spoke 9-11-08.

But, like I said, it is what one reads into it.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Exactly.

Anyone who read or listened to this objectively can see that. Just a poor attempt at misinformation.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Exactly.

Anyone who read or listened to this objectively can see that. Just a poor attempt at misinformation.

Um, no. It reads pretty clear that the thousands of Americans Palin referred to, were attributed to 9/11. The AQ in Iraq never inflicted as much damage and by now it's all but routed.

If Palin is trying to justify the Iraq adventure by linking 9/11 with Saddam, she really, really stinks (and such appears to be the case).

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
OK, other than Anne E. Kornblut attempting to make a connection to Saddam, when did Palin do that? Because I can't find anywhere in her speech where she mentions it.

All she is doing is making reference to AQ being in Iraq. You're reaching here.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Thanking you for agreements.
Tunnel vision is the problem these days. Objectivity and reality are apparently being lost and forgotten during the campaign.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

OK, other than Anne E. Kornblut attempting to make a connection to Saddam, when did Palin do that? Because I can't find anywhere in her speech where she mentions it.

All she is doing is making reference to AQ being in Iraq. You're reaching here.

It is not a figment of imagination that people still think that the two situations are related.....when they are not by any means. Don't know why they would think that......

Al Qaeda-Hussein Link Is Dismissed

By Walter Pincus and Dana Milbank
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, June 17, 2004; Page A01

The Sept. 11 commission reported yesterday that it has found no "collaborative relationship" between Iraq and al Qaeda, challenging one of the Bush administration's main justifications for the war in Iraq.

Along with the contention that Saddam Hussein was stockpiling weapons of mass destruction, President Bush, Vice President Cheney and other top administration officials have often asserted that there were extensive ties between Hussein's government and Osama bin Laden's terrorist network; earlier this year, Cheney said evidence of a link was "overwhelming."

Source

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Grafilthy]
Edit to add....
Maybe the thousands of American deaths are the ones who died IN IRAQ?

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Grafilthy]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Ok the article in the OP says that Gov. Palin during the deployment ceremony, this is the video from that ceremony.

Never on that video she talks about what the article says. The article of the Washington Post reeks of propaganda to me.

And I'm by no means a Gov. Palin supporter.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Bunch]

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
In all reality . Besides biden . She is the only person in the "group" that can believe whatever crap she wants.
I personally dislike mccain and palin . But at least she is sending one of her own in . Maybe its just what she tells herself to sleep at night?

Sh!t . Im not one to defend these people by any means . And i dont think anyone should be over there anymore . But she didnt get her kid sent to a cushy job in Germany ect. . She is backing up her misguided beliefs more than anyone else in the past (7 years)

And you can like her, believe her,trust her or not . She at least has that going for her .. I guess

(If anyone makes sense of this post you get a star) lol

[edit on 12-9-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

One thing I would point out: One of McCain's sons returned from Iraq in February, where he had served with the Marines. They simply haven't publicized it. I believe he has another currently in the Naval Academy.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

AQ was actively killing Americans prior to 9-11, "they" are the enemy. They came to us for the first WTC bombing ('93?), the USS Cole, etc. prior to 9-11.
For whatever ill-conceived notion the US is in Iraq, AQ has chosen to exert an influence in an area, geographically, at least, occupied by US troops. THEY came to us in Iraq, it is WAR...and troops are sent into war zones to combat with the enemy.

Maybe we would be better off had 9-11-01 been treated more along the lines of the first attempt...find those directly responsible, serve justice and move on. "There's that pesky AQ again...Oh, well. We'll have to keep an eye on those characters..." is, essentially, what I believe transpired.

new topics

top topics

join