It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jerusalem Burial Cave Reveals:Names, Testimonies of First Christians

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
www.leaderu.com...

Both archaeologists found evidence clearly dating the two catacombs to the first century AD, with the later finding coins minted by Governor Varius Gratus at the turn of the millenium (up to 15/16 AD). Evidence in both catacombs indicated their use for burial until the middle part of the first century AD, several years before the New Testament was written
These people died during the 1st century; i.e. they were contemporaries of my Lord Savior Jesus Christ. That and the crosses carved into the stone and the invocations to "Yeshua" leaves no doubt these are my siblings in Christ.

This is hard evidence set in stone that Jesus Christ walked the earth during the 1st century; irrefutable even.

1. The first century catacomb, uncovered by archaeologist P. Bagatti on the Mount of Olives, contains inscriptions clearly indicating its use, "by the very first Christians in Jerusalem."

2. A "head stone", found near the entrance to the first century catacomb, is inscribed with the sign of the cross.

3. An inscription, found on a first century coffin bearing the sign of the cross, reads: "Shimon Bar Yonah" = "Simon [Peter] son of Jonah".

4. The ossuaries (stone coffins), untouched for 2,000 years, as they were found by archaeologist P. Bagatti on the Mt. of Olives.

5. One of the first-century coffins found on the Mt. of Olives contains a commemorative dedication to: "Yeshua" = "Jesus".

6. One of the first-century coffins found on the Mt. of Olives is inscribed with crosses and the unqiue name "Shappira" - a name which is not found in any other first-century writtings except for the Book of Acts (5:1).

Luke 19:37-40

And as he was now drawing nigh, even at the descent of the mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works which they had seen; (38) saying, Blessed is the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest. (39) And some of the Pharisees from the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples. (40) And he answered and said, I tell you that, if these shall hold their peace, the stones will cry out

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Wow! That is actually an amazing find! Thank you very much for sharing it.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The skeptics will find 200 + reasons to still claim Jesus Christ didn't exist.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I remember watching the documentary of this "The Lost Tomb of Jesus" shown on the discovery channel.

It was very interesting from an atheist point of view. I am pretty certain that Jesus did exist, but, he was just an ordinary man.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

So true.

I think one has to admit that this is pretty substantial, even if one does not want to admit there an living historical Jesus.

Finding the burial of 1st Century Christians adds some validation to the history that is recorded in the bible. Granted it still does not definitively prove anything beyond the fact there were indeed 1st Century Christians... but I can argue those Christians must have believed for a reason, and it must have been a very good one. From the fact that we see the sign of the cross etched in stone could point to the possibility of there being actual eyewitnesses.

So the way I see it this is just fantastic. There is much to be said about the what this find means.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Yikes!!! 124 views and only 4 replies! Oh my. I for one am always happy to see physical evidence...although I don't need it since I have faith. Weird huh? Those who have faith don't need the evidence and those who don't believe won't accept it even when it sits right in front of their face.

Funny, some people will jump to believe another trumped up story about a new "conspiracy" or "sighting" but won't look at artifacts...
don't forget they are called "arti-facts" and not "arti-fiction"!

Great find here...thanks for the thread and link. I am going to send it to my son who loves stuff like this....

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by macr59
I remember watching the documentary of this "The Lost Tomb of Jesus" shown on the discovery channel.

It was very interesting from an atheist point of view. I am pretty certain that Jesus did exist, but, he was just an ordinary man.

Yes, and I am certain that he does exist and that He is NO ORDINARY MAN! You see He is still alive and sits at the right hand of the Father according to the Scriptures. These apostles and disciples gave their lives for the cause of Christ. The reason they were all crucified or killed in other ways was because they were considered blasphemers (according to the Jews) when they called Jesus "Lord" or God in the flesh. They knew He was the Christ...over 500 witnessed Him walking around after His crucifixion and before the ascension. They saw Him as He was raised by the Father to His throne. They were willing to die horrible deaths because they KNEW, that this first death was not the end....Jesus said don't fear the first death, but the second. Look it up.

Revelation 21:8 (New Living Translation)
New Living Translation (NLT)

8 “But cowards, unbelievers, the corrupt, murderers, the immoral, those who practice witchcraft, idol worshipers, and all liars—their fate is in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Christianity in a nutshell is just this....God sent His Son Jesus to earth to die on a cross for each of us. He nailed sin to the tree because none of us could pay the price(of a sinless lamb) He took the burden of sin(falling short of God's perfect will in our lives) on himself and all those who call on the name of Jesus will be saved. That's a promise.

Salvation is free for the asking, but it came with a very high price tag for the Father who willingly gave His only begotten son because He loves each of us so much. Once we find this love, we can truly love ourselves and finally, others.

I believe that more and more evidence like this will be found in order to bring more into the kingdom of God. Wow...Simon Bar Jonah! That was the Apostle Peter! Imagine finding his grave.

Thanks OP for this thread Bro'!

[edit on 9/12/2008 by Sweet Paula]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sweet Paula

Sweet Paula,

You've convinced me. Now how about some hard facts, apart from a document written by man for man ie the Bible.

Sure Jesus existed, but as a man, the way the lord wanted him to be.... Thats because he was a man.

The OP gave a good account in his post and its open to debate....

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Good post, OP.

Of course, there are those who will always try and cast things such as this aside, as meaningless, no matter how much evidence is unearthed....and I believe that more such evidence WILL be unearthed as time goes on.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

What are you talking about? This is the kind of substantial evidence the skeptics want that shows that Jesus as a man may have existed. All christians have done is provide second-hand accounts of Jesus which are not credible or reliable. Finally, there is something we can debate on.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by macr59
reply to post by Sweet Paula

You've convinced me. Now how about some hard facts, apart from a document written by man for man ie the Bible.

Sure Jesus existed, but as a man, the way the lord wanted him to be.... Thats because he was a man.

The OP gave a good account in his post and its open to debate....

Okay Macr59, tell me this....Why isn't the Bible (which I believe IS the inspired Word of God written by men UNDER THE INSPIRATION of the Holy Spirit) taken as an historical account of eye witnesses then?

Have you ever read how the monks were locked up in monasteries for years at a time copying and carefully noting every word as being from Yayweh Himself... there were not any mistakes or omissions in these copies. Here is a really good answer regarding how these monks did it:

answers.yahoo.com...

If the Bible is the inspired Word and Will of God, then those who ignore it's words will indeed be damned.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This doesn't prove he existed, this just proves there was a sect of people who called themselves Christians - most probably Gnostic - and that one was buried here.

That doesn't make a myth about the sun real, it just meant there really were other people who believed it.

That is all.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

Well, hello there.

This archaeological find is verifiable proof bearing out the chronology of the gospel narratives; also in addition to the invocations to Yeshua plus the other names strikingly similar to those mentioned verbatim in the gospels and then there are the crosses, this constitutes incontestable evidence that Jesus Christ of Nazareth walked the earth during the 1st century.

If these much is true, you just got to wonder: what else about the gospels is true?

Anyway, keep saying to yourself whatever helps you sleep at night

[edit on 12-9-2008 by reject]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by macr59

A man, yes, and more, but certainly not ordinary. To examine the teachings of Christ is to realize how revolutionary his ideas are. What normal man would love his enemy? How could an ordinary man teach that the meek shall inherit the earth when the conquering Roman foot was on the Hebrew neck? This is not the teaching of an ordinary man.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

What are you talking about? This is the kind of substantial evidence the skeptics want that shows that Jesus as a man may have existed. All christians have done is provide second-hand accounts of Jesus which are not credible or reliable. Finally, there is something we can debate on.

None of you doubt the existence of Alexander the Great even though nothing was written about him until 400 years after his death.

No one seems to care that his "proof" is from second hand sources.

Oh, I get it.. it's because he never claimed to be a God.

Oh, wait, he did claim to be a God.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Oh he probably existed.

Whether or not he was the Son of God, well that is still a question..

I mean, look at TV televangelists, cultist, and so forth.. all claiming to be saviors, prophets, yet they all seem to have ... I don't know ... an agenda with personal goals?

But I don't doubt Joshua lived, and that he made quite a stir in the lands now called Israel.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The thing that I find surprising is the presents of the cross . I was always lead to believe that the cross wasn't used as a christian symbol until much later ?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Oh he probably existed.

Whether or not he was the Son of God, well that is still a question..

I mean, look at TV televangelists, cultist, and so forth.. all claiming to be saviors, prophets, yet they all seem to have ... I don't know ... an agenda with personal goals?

But I don't doubt Joshua lived, and that he made quite a stir in the lands now called Israel.

Don't say "all" that's a false generalization. And we as Christians are well aware that there are MANY false prophets and wolves in sheeps clothing.

They do deceive many, I doubt they deceive Christians who truly study their Bibles daily. Most likely their following is made up mostly of people practicing "Churchianity", not Christianity.

A great deal of their B.S. is not scriptural, and any astute student can quickly figure that out.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
The thing that I find surprising is the presents of the cross . I was always lead to believe that the cross wasn't used as a christian symbol until much later ?

Well, apparently that idea was false.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I don't doubt Jesus was an extraordinary man, and here's some evidence which is substancial in proving at least his existence...

HOWEVER... I have a very strong suspicion that the last thing Jesus wanted was a religion started in his name. He just wanted to tell the truth as he saw it, but sadly like other "prophets", he was misquoted and misunderstood and worshiped as an idol... instead of people actually understanding what he was saying. I guess maybe he should've just kept it to himself. Oh well, what did he have to lose? He tried.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join