It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationism to be taught in UK Science class?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

I beg to differ - a scientific look at creationism will take 30 seconds, but I think it will end with "because there is no evidence for this hypothesis, it is not science, and those who believe it are doing so based on faith, the antithesis of the scientific method".

It should be taught in religious studies, not as fact, but as what Christians think. There it can be discussed as long as deemed necessary, just never as fact.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Horza

You misread this. He says it should be discussed in science class but not taught as a science.

No, Changer, I didn't.

Last week Prof Reiss - a Church of England minister - said creationism should be discussed in science lessons if pupils raised the issue.

He was criticised by other scientists - though misquoted as saying creationism should be "taught" in science classes.

BBC

There was also some clarification from the Royal Society:

The Royal Society reiterated that its position was that creationism had no scientific basis and should not be part of the science curriculum.

"However, if a young person raises creationism in a science class, teachers should be in a position to explain why evolution is a sound scientific theory and why creationism is not, in any way, scientific."

It added that the society greatly appreciated the efforts of Prof Reiss, a biologist, in furthering its work in the important field of science education.

Ibid.

<< 1   >>

join