It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA May Have to Abandon Space Station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

NASA May Have to Abandon Space Station

dsc.discovery.com

Sept. 9, 2008 -- NASA is about out of options for keeping U.S. astronauts in space after 2011.

Unless President George Bush intervenes, or whoever succeeds him in January immediately steps into the space arena, the dismantling of the space shuttle program will be too far along to reverse course.

"That horse has left the barn," wrote NASA's former shuttle manager Wayne Hale in his Web blog.

The three-ship fleet is scheduled for retirement in 2010. NASA wants to use the shuttle's budget for developing replacement ships that can go to the moon as well as to the International Space Station. The new vehicle, called Orion, won't be ready until 2015 -- five years after the shuttle stops flying.

NASA had counted on buying Russian Soyuz capsules to transport crews to the space station during the gap. But in recent interviews, NASA administrator Michael Griffin said he has no hope Congress will pass the legislation needed for NASA to keep the Soyuz assembly lines running.

"My guess is that there is going to be a lengthy period with no U.S. crew on (the space station) after 2011," Griffin wrote in an email to top NASA managers that was posted on the Orlando Sentinel's Web site.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Found this while stumbling. Could this be so after all the work put forth?

Peace

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I am sure that the Russians will take great care of it, they may even invite a few Chinese, Iranians, North Koreans or other interested people to the International Space Station.

It's all about international relations right?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
NASA is considering extending the operational status of the shuttle beyond 2010 for just this reason. Both McCain and Obama have said they support the idea fully. I don't have have a link for you and I'm to lazy get one so you will have to look yourself

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

the source for that information.. comes from an ex manager for nasa.. the source took there information from his web site.. but it couldnt be further from the truth... nasa is geared up for all kinds of future missions to the iss and has its eyes set on a moon base.. and further exploration of mars.. I have had the nasa channel on all day today.. and there excited about there new missions and they are in the process of updating current shuttles until the newer versions are built.. nasa is not about to just sit back and do nothing.. believe me.. besides the other countries couldnt fuction up there without us..

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
It's all about priorities. The government needs to focus on problems down here in the States right now, not be concerned with proving our ability to put people in outer space. Our infrastructure, national debt, degrading military, and energy crisis are just a few examples of things that are much more important than space shuttles.

When it comes to any space technology our government does develop, they need to be putting the emphasis on satellites and other unmanned capabilities. When the economy starts rebounding and the coffers are full, then (maybe) they can afford to broaden the research again.

I suspect that by 2015, however, it'll be a moot point. Civilian space technology has finally started to make some real progress. Before that date even arrives, there are several civilian companies which expect to be offering tourist trips to outer space.

SpaceShipTwo is expected to be in operation by 2010/2011, offering short space flights to tourists - albeit rich ones - entirely as a civilian project. By 2015, the first space-based hotel is expected to be in operation under the direction of the (civilian) Galactic Suite Project.

The fact is, the shuttles aren't the only thing obsolete about our space program. NASA itself is completely outdated, as an organization and as a concept. If the government truly wanted to make "another giant leap for mankind," they would shut down NASA and devote some of its budget to helping fund civilian-run endeavors.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
We take other countries astronauts into space all the time, surely we can hitch a ride for a few years (if we kick in for gas).

top topics

join