It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some slams against Palin that just are not true

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Since this is my first post in the bully pulpit. I thought I'd try and show where I satand as a debator on ATS. As an open Obama supporter, I thought Id show that fair and blananced is the only true way to go on ATS.

This thread is created to show that some of the internet rumors against Palin are just plain false. I havent seen anyone really group anything together to show what the truth is.

Tha article has the answers in it but here is an excerpt.

* Palin did not cut funding for special needs education in Alaska by 62 percent. She didn’t cut it at all. In fact, she increased funding and signed a bill that will triple per-pupil funding over three years for special needs students with high-cost requirements.

* She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a "What if?" question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin's first term.

* She was never a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, a group that wants Alaskans to vote on whether they wish to secede from the United States. She’s been registered as a Republican since May 1982.

* Palin never endorsed or supported Pat Buchanan for president. She once wore a Buchanan button as a "courtesy" when he visited Wasilla, but shortly afterward she was appointed to co-chair of the campaign of Steve Forbes in the state.

* Palin has not pushed for teaching creationism in Alaska's schools. She has said that students should be allowed to "debate both sides" of the evolution question, but she also said creationism "doesn't have to be part of the curriculum."

Palin slime

While I dont agree with her views, the only true way to debate them is to know where she actually stands, and what decisions she has actually made. I invite others to post anything else they run across of Gov Palin that is floating around that is just not true.. Mudslinging can lead to blindness.

the debating can happen in the forums, but let this be a helping thread to know what is fact and what is pure conjecture.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Welcome to the Bully Pulpit!

Nice post. It's important to have the integrity that compels us to fight ignorance regardless of the target or the slime-slinger.

I had read that Palin didn't actually cut funding, but re-allocated it. It's important to note that the spending of the $73K is for year 2011. I think that may be the reason this accusation was started.

Education Week: Alaska Legislation Overhaul

Gov. Sarah Palin and state lawmakers have gone ahead with an overhaul of Alaska’s school funding system that supporters predict will provide much-needed financial help to rural schools and those serving students with disabilities.
A second part of the measure raises spending for students with special needs to $73,840 in fiscal 2011, from the current $26,900 per student in fiscal 2008, according to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development.
Bill Bjork, the president of the Alaska state affiliate of the National Education Association, said that he was pleased with those changes, but that the plan, and the increase in per-pupil spending, “doesn’t do enough, soon enough,” particularly given the state’s strong oil revenues.

----
She didn't demand books be banned. She asked the librarian how she could go about banning them... and she did fire the librarian, but changed her mind after public outcry.

NY Times
---
On creation in schools, as far as I can find, she hasn't pushed to teach creationism in schools. But she did express her opinion that it should be. Just not exclusively. She said she thinks creationism should be taught "alongside evolution", which I strongly disagree with. (I wouldn't mind creation taught as a philosophy, but I don't think it should be presented as a viable alternative to evolution in science class. Bet this isn't about what I think.
)

Alaska Daily News

The volatile issue of teaching creation science in public schools popped up in the Alaska governor's race this week when Republican Sarah Palin said she thinks creationism should be taught alongside evolution in the state's public classrooms.
The teaching of creationism, which relies on the biblical account of the creation of life, has been ruled by the U.S. Supreme Court as an unconstitutional injection of religion into public education.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

I think some of the political extremists just love to sling mud around. When they go after Gov. Palin, the Republicans will fight back. I don't think the Obama supporters liked it when mud was thrown at him, and they should behave themselves when it comes to Gov. Palin.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Being an Obama supporter. I believe in honest politics. Which apparently these days, doesnt exist. We can keep letting the politicians win. they win when they are allowed to just throw mud with no repercussions. Whether they be D or R or I, I say enough!

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Unfortunately, when one party throws mud the other must answer it and throw mud back. They are considered weak if the do not as you saw with the Bush/Kerry election in 2004. Many do the fighting through the fringe groups, giving them a way to state: While I disagree with their tactics, they have a right to free speech.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

This is both parties faults. Unfortunately this time of squashing takes away from the real substance of what these candidates run on. Lipstick gets more press than Iraqi withdrawal plans now.... Perhaps the result of year long campaigns....

top topics

join