It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robbing Peter to Pay Paul on the Environment: One Example...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Are we screwing in the wrong bulbs?

When it comes to light bulbs, the message has been blindingly clear. Environmentalists, energy experts, government agencies and pretty much everyone but the pope all say it’s high time you replaced your old incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs, or CFLs. Last year, Congress passed a law banning incandescents by 2014.

Away from the glowing spotlight, however, a rising number of environmentally minded folks say the War on Bulbs is being waged with false or incomplete information by groups who ought to know better.

While few say CFLs should be banned, new research highlights a stark contradiction between two cherished green goals: fighting global warming and ridding the environment of toxic pollution.

More...

Is this another example of a policy that jumps before looking?

I have often wondered how many people know about the mercury dangers of CFLs-- particularly people with young children. Will this be the new lead paint issue of the near future?

I wonder...

The following is a speech given by Rep. Ted Poe, and I have to say, he makes some points worth considering:

[edit on 11-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
We need an education effort made to get people to dispose of their bulbs properly. I guess they save so much energy that the net result for having a light on in your home is lower overall pollution for CFLs.

new topics

join