It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S., China Laying Plans in Case North Korea Collapses

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I agree this should be BIG news! S korea should unify with N korea,as Germany did in the 90's,very good point adding the nuclear issue though,we don't want anything to go "missing",my fingers are crossed for N Korea freedom!!

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Originally posted by deadbang
I think another interesting side to this story is...

Everyone keeps harping how China and the US are at each others throats, natural idealogical enemies...etc.

And here we have the two sorting out what to do about N Korea should the country collapse politically...

maybe our ties go deeper than most think?

If you have the biggest army in the world, and manufacture everything we touch... not to mention $500 billion of our greenbacks... Yeah, a dinner date is in order.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Honestly,

What would happen is not hard to see:

China would move in and occupy North Korea at the first sign of social disorder. The NK's are used to Communism, and so Communist forces wouldn't bother them much, and it would be easy to keep continuity of existing systems of distributing goods and food (what a joke that is!). The NK people also think highly of the Chinese and consider them brotherly allies, especially considering it was China that saved NK in the Korean War against the USA. Had China not gotten involved, there'd be no NK right now.

So, South Korea won't be the first to take it over if NK loses their leader. Even though it would be nice to have a unified Korea. I think it would balance the power in the region for the BETTER, because they'd be our ally. We'd have two powerful allies; Korea and Japan, as well as a weaker 3rd ally; Taiwan, all right there beside China. If a World War occurred, we'd be in a good position to fight China because our allied nations would then almost totally surround them, with the exception being from the North. Think about it ...

In The West...

We have forces all over Afghanistan and Pakistan, and we have forces at bases throughout Central Asian countries west of China.

In the South..

We have forces all over the Indian subcontinent, not to mention India is one of our nuclear armed allies. We have bases all throughout Southeast Asia, specifically the Phillipines, Thailand, Guam, and so forth.

In the East..

We WOULD have two allied nations: a unified, nuclear armed Korea, and an advanced Japan rife with American forces and bases. We also would have the friendly nation island of Taiwan as an ally.

So to sum it up .. China would not like to see Korea unified, and will take over the Northern half should the opportunity come up. They surely aren't going to let the South Koreans, NATO, and the Americans to move in..

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
If the reports are true that North Korea is restarting their nuclear programs then I think the headline really is, U.S. and China about to set things straight on the Korean peninsula.

China really hates the government of the North Korea almost as much as we do. The North is constantly kidnapping Chinese soldiers on the border and raiding towns next to them for their goodies. They also see Lil Kim as one a threat and two is bound to leave them cleaning up the mess if he keeps up the humanitarian disaster in his country.

I think China is learning fast that it is vital for them to be good friends with the U.S. and vise versa. With the two intertwined economy's it is almost unthinkable to reverse it without all out war witch China knows it will lose because they know we would be forced to use many nuclear weapons to stop them.

I also think that China has been portrayed as the new enemy just because Russia was so weak and not considered a threat in conventional terms. I know we are not allies but I think they keep it that way just to try and fool Russia and others, At least thats the way it looks when you dig deep.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by runetang

It simply won't happen.
If China took over North Korea,it would be at war with the USA,no official cease fire has been declared between N Korea and the USA

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by crisko
South Korea does not want to unify with North Korea. North Korea has NO economy. Imagine the drain that would cause on the south. It would set them back 20 - 30 years.

South Korea has already stated officially that they would not consider renunification until the North's economy is brought up to speed.

This wouldnt be the same as the Berlin wall coming down. Hundreds of thousands of hungry North Koreans would flood to the South. It would be Chaos.

No, not gonna happen until at least the second quater of the century if ever.

I agree. It would be like the US citizens wanting to join with Mexico. Can not see it happening, unless powers that be want to bring everyone down.

Ama

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Look, China and the US agree on more than is published in the headlines. The "Powers that be" (no im not talking about presidents, im talking about folks with real power) are all in cahoots together whether it be the US, The Russians, The Chinese etc. All the bad headlines you see about relations and events with these countries are for domestic worldwide consumption of local populaces. In reality, the gov's are all in everything together.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Well i think if Kim snuffed it, the miliatary would take over, set up a junta and tell the rest of the world to lump it. I dont think the NK Generals in the milaitary would be too happy to give up their powers and little empires to Chinese military or anyone else. I do feel that a NK military backlash may well occur. Not a happy prospect. People in NK will wake up one morning not the sound of our Dear Leader, but Our Dear General instead.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
If this happens and everything remains status quo, it will only show the US government as the hypocrites they are. How could war be waged in Iraq for their freedom from Saddam Hussein (which we help put into office by the way) yet N Korea doesn't deserve the same thing. It seems the USA only apply their military when there is economic gains at risk. We love to wave the freedom banner like Bush did for the Tibetans, yet when a real opportunity happens the government would turn their back and let the N Koreans suffer under new communist rule.
Now I understand this is all conjecture, because we don't know what will happen and we're just guessing. But that being said, if the USA let China install another Communist leader in N Korea, and didn't call on NATO to back N Korea's right to sovereignty our word around the world is worth less than t*ts on a bore.
Once you wave that freedom banner and say you stand for human rights and you wage war for them reason's, then you better be ready to back it up all the time, not just when it benefits you economically.

Love and Light

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

u.s is interfering with every nation's internal matters.they try to serve their narrow interests in the name of democracy ,human rights. north korean issue is regional one why should u.s is interfering in this

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
the north Koreans have been brainwashed so much that their could never be any unification between north and south

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Who is the most likely person running NK at this time ?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

The last thing South Korea wants is unification at this time. It will cost them biliiions upon billions to repair that mess up north.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Very interesting topic, and I agree with many post by members here.

My take is that, while the SK people desires "reunification", (as is the US Military and Neo-Con), The SK govt would not want it.. not at this time. Absorbing NK now would crash the whole South Korea economy, which BTW, isn't really fantastic now.

By reunifying now, while the South sentiments may welcome this notion. The reality is that the North Koreans will be competing against many jobs at a much lower wage and are very hard-working... and are generally Honest with low expectation. While many of you doesn't know this that South Koreans are indoctrinated by decades to be nationalistic. Even today, Racism is very high. The ethnic chinese Koreans and North Korean defectors are looked down upon. Thus, I believe North koreans will be second class citizens rifed with force prostitution, slavery and descrimination.

Second very inportant factor - USA. This two hundred pound war-mongering gorilla likes nothing more than to place the world biggest military base with "Missle defense" system at the border between China and Russia. And this might result in WWIII... suddently Nato finds themselves operating in the Pacific theatre. Nobody big enough would wants US, which is thousands miles away, near their borders.. period. It would mean fighting to the last korean, while USA can simply di-di away, when it come to it.

I would prefer that North Korean remains status quo.

BTW, the news that North Korea is re-starting Nuclear facilities, is simply propaganda, not proof whatsoever was presented.. it's just a rumour. I suspect it's just to make US military presence relevant.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The way I see it North Korea will remain under NK military dictatorship for several reasons:

1. China will not want it but will wish to keep the status quo. NK is not all that warm with China anyway. Yes the Chinese saved thier butts during the Korean war, but very few North Koreans give credit to the Chinese for that and in fact China is not mentioned at all in any of NK war propaganda. Many young North Koreans are even unaware of China's participation. This is something the Chinese government has been known to resent. The one and only reason China has supported NK to this date is simply to keep democracy away from their border. China will be the first to prop up a military regime.

2. After witnessing the problems Germany suffered after the fall of the East German government...South Korea wants very little to do with the current mess up north. The costs would be billions upon billions of dollars. Not only that, but any attempt to reunify NK would not be welcomed. The NK military mindset has always been to despise the US and it's "SK puppets". High ranking military leaders jockeying for power will hardly just let us walk in, and even if they did the Chinese won't let it happen.

3. None of Kim Jong Il's offspring is regarded by NK military leaders as fit to rule.

The only way to avoind a military dictatorship is a uprising by NK citizens. However, despite Japan's occupation and the Korean war, the history of Koreans in general has always followed nationlistic lines. On top of that, NK citizens have been exposed to the most persistant and thorough brainwashing in the history of mankind. So any grand ideas of a wall coming down is not going to happen.

So unfortunately, thanks to China, nothing will really change with the exception of the faces.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by bruwin]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Why does everyone always think absorbing a lower economy is bad news? Do you udnerstand the investment opportunities this open up in the North? Do you realize how multinationals are salivating over the prospect of placing their cookie-cutter retail plazas over the non-name land that NK is full of?

Locally owned multinational franchise locations will pop-up overnight. Real-estate moguls will be going in and buying out the poor, while the poor move in to the already developed South and replace the bottom work force. The bottom southerners having had their jobs replaced with lower wage citizens of the North, will migrate North and take un better paying construction jobs re-paving the landscape and setting the Capitalist infrastructure.

the major consumer banks will be extending small initial credit lines to people who have known no such thing. And all of this is generating taxes simultaneously.

That is why I support the North American Union, because it will do the same to Mexico. The Average Joe's of the developed nations will be given an opportunity to take advatnage of great investment deals in the newly integrated poorer areas. the ROI will be generous in the long run. Let the growth and expansion run wild!

[edit on 9/14/2008 by DYepes]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Why does everyone always think absorbing a lower economy is bad news?
[edit on 9/14/2008 by DYepes]

It's not only the absorbing the economy that South Korea sees reunification as a lower priority. Family members seperated during the Korean War have died or are dying in huge numbers...the priority to rejoin these families just isn't there anymore.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Kim is brain dead and on life support. Anybody want to take bets on that? So when they do pull the plug on the angry little elf that country is going to explode. People will flee the North by the millions. Military too.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
If US and Mexico was an open border, can you imagine how the health care needed alone would tax the system?

It will mean that those of us barley making it, will now no longer be making it.
It may make some good investment opportunities for some, but the average citizen is not an investor. We would be paying taxes to help the millions that have nothing.

Sure some new construction jobs will open up, but not enough in relation to the populace.

Ama

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join