It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S., China Laying Plans in Case North Korea Collapses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

U.S., China Laying Plans in Case North Korea Collapses

www.foxnews.com

North Korean leader Kim Jong Il is more impaired from the stroke he apparently suffered last month than reports from the region suggest, and the United States and China are holding talks about what to do if the government in Pyongyang collapses, FOX News has learned.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Ok forget for a bit that the U.S. is involved in this matter, the U.S. is always mingling in everybody elses bussiness.

Now China on the other hand is a country that is very restrained when it comes to other countries affairs, so for them to be in talks with the U.S. about this particular issue sends a very clear signal that Kim Jong II is very ill, probably dying.

I wonder how the pie is going to be divided, for sure South Korea is going to ask for reunification, but that something that Japan, China and other countries in the area would be weary of, or straight up oppose.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The best outcome would be if Kimmy kicks the bucket and the two Korea's reunite as a sovereign representative republic. The quality of life for North Koreans would improve dramatically and tensions in the region would succumb to peace and prosperity.

However, I think it's more likely that communist China will play heavy handedly in the north with the U.S. south of the border. Not much will change.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I think another interesting side to this story is...

Everyone keeps harping how China and the US are at each others throats, natural idealogical enemies...etc.

And here we have the two sorting out what to do about N Korea should the country collapse politically...

maybe our ties go deeper than most think?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

I read somewhere that many Asian countries would be very concern if the two Koreas reunite. The reason being that you combined those two armies and the readiness that they find themselves right now and it would strategically change the balance of power in the region.

I think thats something tha China or Japan would not allow to happen.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by Bunch]

[edit on 11-9-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by deadbang

deadbang....that is very insightful.

I'm a US citizen....born here. But not...erm...how to say it without sounding 'unpatriotic'?

I tend to think the old notions of the 'Nation-State' are obsolete.

However, it does seem reasonable to conclude that Multi-National Corporations are growing in dominance....to the exclusion of governments.

And, with the increasing trade between the USA and China, and the prominence of China in Space and Politics....seems a merging is inevitable....and, of course, N.Korea is on China's doorstep.

Could go either way....keep a sharp eye.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
This should have way more attention then it has, read and flagged.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Why shouldn't they talk about this? It will effect alot of people.

I am not one of the people who believes that China is a threat to the USA. Sure they maybe be communist but I think they like their money to much. They want the BILLIONS of dollars that Americans spend on products with "Made in China" stamped on it.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by -Reason-

Exactly. What, when you but a product, doesn't have 'Made in Cnina' on the label?

Toys, cellphones (and their chargers), OK, some are Korean....but components of your cellphones, your Plasma TVs, your computers.....your sneakers, your shirts, our pants....you name it, China has tendrils everywhere, even when it's not that obvious.

It is nearly impossible to avoid.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
South Korea does not want to unify with North Korea. North Korea has NO economy. Imagine the drain that would cause on the south. It would set them back 20 - 30 years.

South Korea has already stated officially that they would not consider renunification until the North's economy is brought up to speed.

This wouldnt be the same as the Berlin wall coming down. Hundreds of thousands of hungry North Koreans would flood to the South. It would be Chaos.

No, not gonna happen until at least the second quater of the century if ever.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
The securing of all Nuclear material is paramount in the face of North Korea imploding, with Syria and Iran having close military ties with North Korea, it is vital both the US, China and Russia if necessary, co-ordinate this safely if it does happen.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Im sure the U.S. is more concerened over the nuclear process of all of this. Keep in mind that the U.S. has bases in One of the Koreas.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by theblunttruth

I agree with your post totally. The only issue is who is going to go in and secure it? I think it should be done through U.N. so it doesn't the impression of the U.S. invading another country.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I'm not sure what would happen..

But China does NOT want the U.S having troops in a border country.

Not at all.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

The quality of life for North Koreans would improve dramatically ...

Yes, but it would probably throw the SK economy into a tailspin, and severly cripple their lifestyle for a time. I wonder if the South would really want a sudden re-assimilation?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Or maybe they unite then later, China invades because the only wars they can win are landwars close to them...and they see Korea as a threat... They expand, kick out the US from near their borders and get technology from SK and a bunch of fanatics who will do anything, like invading Japan, in the North.

No?

North Koreans will never accept US troops on it's soil or a deal with the US... Kim was the creator of the propaganda anti-US... if his generals are crazy believers of that, the only way they can deal is with China.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Having lived in SK for a while and knowing a bit about the local attitudes I can tell you that reunification would be (unless the culture has changed) VERY desirable.

The objections any other country might raise, in particular Japan, have little to do with 'fear' although that is how local politicians and diplomats will propagate their resistance (don't they all?). It's about power.

South Korea has confounded raging communists time and again by being both relatively stable and significantly more prosperous than most projected. Compare their 'recovery' to Viet Nam's for example.

There are millions of literally starving children, orphaned mostly, and scrounging the streets for grains of rice or other dropped food particles to survive. I suggest this 'view' towards the 'fall' of the totalitarian regime in place by the care-takers of the Kim-Il-Song legacy be viewed as an opportunity to undo decades of human suffering, rather than making into a game of political will.

In essence, if left to the local population, I am certain that a reunification is inevitable, even if the military power bases object. Those people have much in common with the East-West German culture once ripped in half by political-diplomatic games the elites initiated after (or during) World War II. The Koreans want to be reunited with their families.

It's a shame that China and the US have ANYTHING to do with it.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

But like you should know, rarely the will of the people come first, is the big interests and the higher powers that decide what happens or not.

A reunification is doable, it has to be done by phases so the South Korean economy dont take a negative hit.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Star for you! I know if there is a way to mess this up, the power mongering elite will find a way.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by deadbang

Stared!

I've been saying this all year

and that aside, This will 95% be a great thing to have happened, I don't excpect major problems from the North Korean people they have had 1 Radio Station for 2 generations.

If we are smart, the first thing we do the minute he dies his beam in information and soon they will beg for the rest of the world.

Lol it would be like plesantville... I mean, they will just hunger very rapidly for more info on what is going on in the world, as big for a typical North Korean as alien disclosure would be for us...

The information overload would be so vast they would mostly be mesmerized by it

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join